• Dalinar
    • Jasnah
    • Elhokar
    • Aesudan
    • Evi
    • Adolin
    • Renarin
    • Gavinor

My personal favourite character is Adolin, i simply love him, flaws and all. Really enjoyed watching him grow up from the first book to the third, and also with all those flashbacks to his childhood, even if they're from Dalinar's point of view.

But since we're voting for the best Kholin, i would have to say Jasnah. She. Kicks. chull.

9 hours ago, Quantus said:

Adolin: One of the most classic-style "Good Guys"...except for that thing he did that time...

Which is what makes him real.

It was distasteful, but it wasn't premeditated, and Adolin was definitely not as blase about it as he said to Dalinar. He knew that killing Sadeas was dirty work that needed to be done, by him in particular, and he would have happily killed him on the duelling grounds as originally planned. But since it happened the way it did, he definitely felt guilty and dishonourable about how he actually did it in the end.

And those feelings were a large part of Adolin's journey in OB, the internal struggles between the confident, cheerful and noble facade that he presented to the world, versus the worthless, hapless, helpless thing that he came to see inside. 

Edited by cantabile21

Looking at the polls i'm surprised Jasnah is almost as popular as Dalinar

7 hours ago, Casta said:

So Kholins are Skywalkers of the Roshar, am I right?  

Hopefully they won't end messing up all the Cosmere.

Dalinar went reverse Anakin. He was Darth Dalinar first before he became Dalinar Skywalker back again

Edited by goody153

7 hours ago, Subvisual Haze said:

The scene in Shadesmar where Adolin is subtly doing everything he can to help a near-catatonic Kaladin keep going was heartwarming (keeping an eye on him, not letting him be the last in line, helping to carry his stuff, trying to invite him into conversations by playing dumb on certain topics, not calling him out him for being kind of a jerk etc.).  Adolin is just a wonderfully kind person.

Could you remind me where this is? I've been looking for this for a while and I can't find it... It's when they're in Shadesmar, right?

I almost chose Aesudan without a follow up post just to leave you all wondering who would actually think she was the best of anything. :P

Ultimately I chose Jasnah. Brains and Beauty, she's the center of attention in every scene where she shows up. :wub:

It's not even a question.

30 minutes ago, Toaster Retribution said:

Who picked Gavinor?

Well, That makes sense from the perspective that he's too young to have screwed up like the rest.  So if Best=Most Pure he's win by default, I guess 

38 minutes ago, Ashspren said:

Debated between Jasnah and Adolin, because they’re both soooo amazing. For me, it was a question of Personal Goddess versus Fictional Crush. 

I voted for Adolin, but I literally flipped a coin. :P

Why do all the best men have to be fictional?!

Edited by BrightnessSamantha

I had trouble deciding between Jasnah and Dalinar. I feel like it will be very interesting to take this poll again after Stormlight Archive is completely finish. Of course, that will likely mean everyone will lean towards Jasnah the same as people are leaning towards Dalinar now because book 10 is on Jasnah. Of course, Dalinar is an awesome character either way. It will also be interesting because we will get to know Gavinor, and likely a child from Shallan and Adolin which should also be very interesting (I hope I am not the only one who realizes that there is likely going to be a child from Shallan and Adolin. A child who will likely be around 15 by the end of the series.)

• Pagerunner changed the title to [OB] The Best Kholin
  • 3 weeks later...

Having something like a troubled past myself, I voted Dalinar.

Fictional character aside, his arc is the kind of story that makes someone believe it is possible.

Also, Redemption feels like sort of like the Big Picture in SA. Let’s face it. Dalinar needs all the redeeming he can find. He’s made a hell of a start.

I almost picked Adolin, but I had to go for Dalinar. I just find him so amazing. When he chooses to the right but difficult thing, it feels earned; not a holier-than-thou guy who's talking out his butt. Dalinar struggles to get to a good place, and his convictions feel so genuinely righteous because you know he chose to change himself to do it. I find him really inspiring.

Uh, you're missing Shallan. If Navani, Aesudan, and Evi are all counted, then she should be as well.

I would love to know who voted for Aesudan.

Edited by ReaderAt2046

Adolin. He is basically the proverbial Hector. Perfect son, perfect brother, perfect lighteyes, perfect noble, perfect fiance...except for some rough edges to add realism and make him even more lovable in my eyes. Even the people that hate Adolin tend to admit that they would love to have him as a best buddy. 

Navani was always a bit bland for me, although I respect some parts of her. There are also still unanswered questions about her. Like: what in all the worlds made her attracted to the Blackthorn and Gavilar? Both men the lowest possible crem around! 

Dalinar for some reason always frustrates me, long before learning his past, this is a problem I have from book 1. He is always on the precipice of making the wrong decision, and seems to often do mistake after mistake after mistake, but then recovers and gains ground from a single right decision. I realize this is something other people will like, but for me it becomes frustrating in that it is continuous.

Jasnah, I am mildly fond of her, but I still don't know her enough to make a decision. Same for Renarin.

Elhokar is someone I mildly hated in WoR, and become mildly fond of in OB, but thats all. 

• Chaos locked this topic