Pewter Drag/Stormlight Drag Similar effects possible?

KalaDANG

Question

I'm rereading Oathbringer, and I'm at the part where Kaladin is chasing after the singers who ran from Hearthstone, and it reminded me of when Kelsier and Vin sprint for more than a day to try to save the Skaa rebel army. Extended Pewter drags allow the misting/mistborn to keep pushing at their peak performance level for extended periods of time, making it so sleep may not even be necessary. After the drag is over, it can result in needing days or even a week of sleep if not more, so I'm just wondering if going for a long time using stormlight to keep you going can have similar end results, since stormlight has a few similar physical effects, like increased speed, endurance, agility, wakefulness, and healing. So that's kind of what i'm wondering. The only in book example I can find that is similar is when Kaladin gets cut with a shardblade, and shoves stormlight into it to heal it, and afterwards feels exhausted and drained. 

7 answers to this question

I wouldn't count it out, but it would probably be a lot less severe.  Pewter enhances the body's resilience and healing somewhat, but Stormlight healing looks more like Ferruchemical gold than like Allomantic pewter, so it would almost certainly do a better job of healing the body form the adverse effects of maintaining that sort of burn.

These two experiences are similar but I think with a pewter drag the allomancers body is catching up with the strain put on it when pewter was pushing it passed what a body can normally do. With stormlight I think its more your soul has been stretched (cause Kaladin body is fine).  

I want to know just how good stormlight is without surgebinding. It heals the body, and I think a gold compounder with like, a pewter hemalurgic spike would be able to maintain a pewter drag with few ill effects as long as he had metal to burn and healing stored. Extrapolation from the story is difficult, and I would guess it probably varies based on how much stormlight one holds, but I would guess holding stormlight  gives you, for the amount of time you hold it, about the same affects of gold compounding and flaring pewter at the same time. A more moderate amount of stormlight probably gives you effects similar to regular pewter burning, and regular gold healing. It seems to take quite a bit of stormlight to heal a shard-severed limb, and I don't think Wayne, for instance, could do it with gold, but Myles certainly could have.

With respect to gold compounding and pewter dragging vs. stormlight, I imagine either would still leave you quite tired after a while, since wakefulness is a separate feruchemical property, but the healing effects of sleeping are probably less necessary for someone who compounded gold. I would also say it is probably harder to get access to enough stormlight to sustain a says long equivalent of a pewter burn, and stormlight seems to dissipate somewhat quickly.

Gold compounding doesn't actually make gold healing "stronger" it just gives you the the storages needed without having to drain yourself to do it. 

Wayne could accomplish anything that miles did... He'd just have to store for ages to do it, which makes it unfeasible. 

Questioner [PENDING REVIEW]

If a Shardblade was put through Wayne's eye, would he able to use his ability to *inaudible*

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

Yes, he should be able to heal that.

source

Pewter is supposed to be much greater in regards to strength enhancement... But we've also seen Kaladin explode a Parshendi head with a spear butt while using it so... 

21 hours ago, Calderis said:

Gold compounding doesn't actually make gold healing "stronger" it just gives you the the storages needed without having to drain yourself to do it. 

Wayne could accomplish anything that miles did... He'd just have to store for ages to do it, which makes it unfeasible.

I definitely agree that Wayne could do it, but it would take either an impractical or impossible amount of storming up healing. Myles has so much healing that he MIGHT have been able to survive a shardblade severing his spine, if he was basically maximally healing at the time when his spine was severed. Progression can apparently  heal a fatal shardblade wound do if done immediately. I don't think any amount of stormlight without progression can do that though, so gold healing with enough healing might be more powerful than stormlight.

And do you have a quote about pewter providing much greater strength enhancement than stormlight? I would think it might depend on the amount of stormlight you have. A duralumin pewter punch with a lot of pewter would be ungodly powerful, but I'm not positive holding a ton of stormlight in isn't more powerful for as long as you can do it than buring, but not flaring, pewter.

12 minutes ago, MasterK-Bob said:

And do you have a quote about pewter providing much greater strength enhancement than stormlight? I would think it might depend on the amount of stormlight you have. A duralumin pewter punch with a lot of pewter would be ungodly powerful, but I'm not positive holding a ton of stormlight in isn't more powerful for as long as you can do it than buring, but not flaring, pewter.

Well,pewter roughly doubles strength burning and triples flaring, per this WoB (Spoilered for length) 

Spoiler

PhantomMonstrosity

Can a pewter Feruchemist go all fiddler crab? Store a bunch of strength from one arm, tap it into the other?

Brandon Sanderson

So far, any Freuchemist we've seen has been required to enhance their entire body or make their entire body weaker.

source

And we've been told repeatedly in book that Stormlight doesn't do this, most notably in the case of Rock and the Shardbow. 

From what we've seen in book, holding more Stormlight doesn't make the passive benefits stronger, it just leaks faster and pushes them to move more. 

On 7/28/2018 at 2:35 PM, KalaDANG said:

I'm rereading Oathbringer, and I'm at the part where Kaladin is chasing after the singers who ran from Hearthstone, and it reminded me of when Kelsier and Vin sprint for more than a day to try to save the Skaa rebel army. 

One thing I'd like to point out: Kelsier is an idiot with pewter. Ham specifically warned Vin how to avoid a drag by not flaring it. She tries to follow his advice and Kelsier tells her she must flare it. 

He's much better with Iron and Steel. But I'd stick with the professional's advice.