New to the 17th Shard and just started to really dive into the Cosmere!

Greetings friends of the Cosmere!  I started my journey by reading the Stormlight Archives and quickly became obsessed.  I looked at Brandon Sanderson's website and found that it was full of all sorts of books and wonders in the Cosmere.  That quickly led me to read the first Mistborn trilogy, Warbreaker, and I have just recently started Elantris.  Besides The Emperor's Soul (which, I believe, is a novella anyways)  what should I read next??  

Second Mistborn era is the only major thing I think you left along with Mistborn: Secret History, which I would recommend after The Bands of Mourning, the most recent Era 2 Mistborn book.  There are also a collection of short stories in Arcanum Unbounded (Secret History and Emperor's Soul are included in that).  

Welcome to the 17th Shard!

Welcome to the Shard! Whether you're a theorist, roleplayer, or just lurker, we've got something for you!

Usually, people say that Mistborn is the best series to start Brandon on, but, like me, you went straight to the big kahuna that is SA. Funny enough, SA was also my first fantasy series I ever read. What was yours?

@I think I am here.  I am a born and bred Potterhead since the US release in the 90s!!  Brandon has quickly become a favorite fantasy writer of mine and it has become my personal goal to read everything he has written! 

@LevenThumps I will eventually read the next Mistborn trilogy.  I just needed a Mistborn break after reading the first trilogy in one go!  I have Arcanum Unbound. I got it for the Lift novella in it but don't want to read the rest until I read the rest of the books that the novella's are related to.

Nice! Oddly enough, I've never read any of the Harry Potter books, nor have I seen the movies. I really need to get them someday, since everyone says they're really good.

How'd you learn of Brandon? Personally, it started with me because a friend recommended me to read Steelheart because 'it's got superheroes'. Imagine my surprise when a book I as expecting to be average completely exceeded my expectations! Jumped to SA from there.

Well, it's a bit convoluted but I recently moved and gained an hour for my commute to work.  I did a trial with Audible to see if I would like it for my commute.  Audible versions are always cheaper when you own the kindle version.  I read the first SA book so long ago I completely forget that I had ever read it!  The first SA book was my trial run for audible and ended up getting all 3 eventually.  I'll get the actual books one day to add to my collection.

Agreed with LevenThumps, though for me WoR ties with HoA. Spook's pretty much my favourite cosmere chracter ever.

As for Steelheart, it's not Cosmere, but it's still a really good YA series, and has some killer action and worldbuilding for a superhero world. It's the first book in the Reckoners trilogy, with Firefight and Calamity coming after it. You should check it out!

Also, just a word of advice, it's generally considered bad forum etiquette to double-post (or post a message right after your last one). It's preferred you edit your previous post instead of making a new one, but since you're new it shouldn't have that bad of an effect now.

Edited by I think I am here.

1 hour ago, Ark1002 said:

Read warbreaker. You should definitely join the alleyverse. We just started the next phase, and it would be an exciting point to jump in. We have a subforum in the RP section.

I have read Warbreaker. I'm currently on Elantris at the moment.  I'm honestly interested in any writing with Hoid in it.  I just came across "The Letters" on Coppermind and now want to devour all writings with Hoid in it.

RP is a little intimidating to me at the moment.  Maybe eventually ;)

@Booksmith My only regret with starting SA first was that I didn't realize what else was involved as far as the Cosmere.  I read, or listened actually, to the series twice after I figured out and started reading about the Cosmere.  Certain parts made much more sense.

Edited by BrightnessSamantha