Can Lift create an infinite source of Stormlight for herself?

Levian

Of course, the reason her body fat drops off could be related to why the metals are consumed when burned, and why Feruchemy loses a little bit of power when drawn. I don't find it impossible for Lift to be using herself as a gateway, burning through nutrition at high speeds. I guess I just highly doubt that the food itself is turning back into Investure. Also, while I'm digging myself this hole, I also support the theory that Lift cannot breathe in Stormlight, for the meta reasons of overpoweredness but also because it feels like something Cultivation would do.

Whatever, that's my very unconfident $0.02

You're right. Even worse, you can convert stored food to anything else with Feruchemical nicrosil, so... hrm. I take it back, perhaps Lift does convert food directly to Stormlight. But... that implies everything is made of Investiture, doesn't it? Why is she limited to food? Can she convert rocks? Why or why not?

Food is symbolic of Cultivation. Rocks are not. Therefore she probably can't convert rocks.

Do we have WoB that Cultivation and Honor created Roshar, or at least the things on it? In HoA

I recall it being mentioned that rocks and animals are equal amounts Ruin and Preservation, leading me to believe that they crafted at least a little bit of Scadrial's geography, or possibly even the entire planet.

Eating rocks wouldn't work if they didn't have the Investure of a Shardic object though.

I don't see why she wouldn't be able to "compound" investiture using the food-stormlight-plants-food cycle. After all, the Lord Ruler did basically that for a thousand years, and Brandon has mentioned several times that worldhoppers can "hack" the magic systems of various planets to get really powerful effects. Lift got what's basically direct Shardic intervention to allow her to access investiture in a new manner. Why shouldn't she be able to get a "hack" out of it?

You know I wonder if the caloric value affects the amount of stormlight or are we talking a direct mass conversion type of thing. Like would a pound of sugar cubes give her more stormlight than a pound of sausage. I know pounds aren't an actual measurement of mass but for our purposes its probably close enough.

It would be nice for brandon to turn lift into a chubby superhero (KR). There need to be more chubby superheroes. Plus if darkness starts chasing after lift again, then he will get a new moniker.

Except that ahe burns off all her food being awesome. Why would she deliberatley inhibit her thieving abilities to become chubby? Don't get me wrong, we do need more heavyset characters, but heavyset and action hero only ever work when they have reason to be chubby. Otherwise it's just an attempt to add a group for the purpose of adding a group. Lift has the ability to choose her level of thinness, and being really skinny makes climbing walls on Sprenladders easy.

We don't really know without knowing the ratio between stormlight/food/growth surge. It seems unlikely though

I personally don't really think it'd be acceptable if it was true. I know it's impossible to know because we don't know the ratios for anything at this point, and even two Chips of the same size and type are known to hold varying amounts of Stormlight, making the little knowledge we have sketchy at best.

I just don't remember her having grown that small handful of seeds as being particularly draining on her already limited Stormlight supply, and eating (if I remember correctly) only half a breadroll gave her enough Stormlight to slide her way around the mansion and bring back whats his name from death or very near death. I know it left her very, very drained but from the amount of food she ate, it seems like she gained a fairly large supply of Stormlight.

After all, even one seed could produce enough food for a full meal. It seems incredibly overpowered if it is possible to infinitely supply herself with Stormlight, but that's just sort of how things seem from what we were shown.

Don't you know Willy Wonka is Hoid.

As for the case of coverting food to stormlight, I imagine the amount of energy she gets from it is equal to the amount of stormlight it takes to create food through soul casting.

I lot of people seem to be arguing against it because they do not like the idea of it. That seems silly. One thing I like about Brandon is the way builds the rules of a magic system and then is actually willing to explore the implications of the interactions of those rules. It is a source of his awesomeness.

Lift is the beneficiary of two "separate" magic systems. This does not mean she has the limitations of both, it means the only limitations she has are the limitations both have. The shardholders and major splinters can use their power much more freely. Using synergies to lessen limitations is not badwrongfun, it is getting closer to the way the magic is supposed to work.

Rashek was not anything special. He could have been the genesis of a higher investiture Scadrial, but decided to go in another direction. He only got to call himself a demigod by reducing the feruchemical potential of the entire planet and killing a metric chull-ton of innocent people so there was no one else with the potential to be like him.

Lift being able to metabolize stormlight, or even bootstrap perpetual stormlight does not make her OP, any more then Elokar's riches giving him effectively unlimited gems for stormlight makes him OP. She just has more breadth of range.

But yes, I think she CAN make stormlight as needed and on demand if she works at it. "The amount of stormlight you get from eating a loaf of bread = amount of stormlight it takes to grow a loaf of bread" is just stupid, because those are separate processes, and ignores things like value added, and efficiency of extraction. If it worked like that the human species would not grow crops at all.

When you eat food you no not turn very much of it into energy at all. (Unless you are eating antimatter.) You extract a little energy, and the rest goes down the poop hole. When you grow crops you do not create them from nothing, you add value to dirt, water, and trace elements to get them into a configuration that you can extract energy from. The energy you put into it and the energy you get out of it are not the same thing. Just like starting up a nuclear reactor uses some other startup power, and gives back more then was put in.

Just FYI. Both Rashek and Lift are two magic system beneficiaries. Hoid is three system minimum (Yolen Lightweaver, Endowed Breaths, Preservation Allomancy) that we have seen "on screen" Any who knows how many others. There is a reason he is the most powerful non shard entity in the cosmere; the sheer breadth of his powers and the freedom of use he must have...

For example, if there is a metal alloy you can burn to use as a stormlight substitute, and he has gotten a fabrial to use to soulcast that metal. Or a giant soulstamp that you press into a large gem that rewrites its history to "I just came from a highstorm on Roshar and was brought here by a worldhopper"

Or any other combination... I think Wit has reached self sustaining critical mass to power many of his various magic systems long ago. 

You make a good point Bramble Thorn. I'm so used to other books where authors would go out of their way to make sure a situation like compounders, or Lift would never happen. That's why it threw me for such a loop when I read the Mistborn trilogy and Allow of Law and read about what they can do. It's just so abnormal, but in these worlds these things are possible when two different magic systems collide. 

The main reason I made this thread was because I thought it was theoretically possible for Lift to grow herself infinite Stormlight, but thought for sure it wouldn't happen because I'm still of the mindset that authors won't let that happen. Thankfully this is a Sanderson book eh?

I agree that she 'burns' her food/fat and she gets Stormlight (that much is clear), but I am just saying that I don't think the food turns directly into Stormlight. I think using up her food opens a gateway to somewhere else for the power to come through, just like the metals in Mistborn (Allomancers also think the power comes from the metals, but they're mostly wrong).

Remember how Preservation and Ruin collaborated to make the world and everything had a bit of Ruin and Preservation in it?

Food may have a bit of Honor and Cultivation in it.

I always get twitchy at infinity loops. Even Compounding requires metal, and lots of it. Plus, there's a reason it's an antagonist power to date.

I expect that for Lift, enough of the plant she spends stormlight growing will be inedible that she doesn't come out ahead.

• Chaos locked this topic