A question about the Weeping (WoR spoilers)

Vortaan

Ok, you've read the topic, so beware! Spoilers untagged from here on out. 

What is Vasher feeding on during Weepings? Let's assume he's using Stormlight as his Breath a week, which I think is safe. At some point, every Weeping, there is no Stormlight. Now I don't recall how long this period is, but if it's longer than a week, what's a miscreant to do? 

Now, some may say that he's probably storing it, but I doubt that you can turn one Investiture completely into another. Stormlight probably always behaves like Stormlight, no matter what you use it to fuel. That means that human bodies are too porous to hold onto it completely (so far). I imagine if you tried to fuel Windrunning with Breath, you might have trouble reclaiming your Lashings, for example. So... any theories? 

The only thing I can think of is that he has a small store of Breaths, which would explain his lifesense while not in Returned mode.

Stormlight is pure investiture, so we don't know how "efficiently" it may power other magic systems or things like Vasher's breath requirement. 

There is something about the Returned and their need to feed on other breaths that has never quick made sense to me, and I sense that the solution to this issue is somewhere in that.

EDIT: also I've always understood this to mean that Returned have access to all the abilities granted by the 5th Heightening, even if their Divine Breath is hidden, so life sense, perfect pitch, etc...

Edited by Green Hoodie Mistborn

Stormlight is pure investiture, so we don't know how "efficiently" it may power other magic systems or things like Vasher's breath requirement. 

There is something about the Returned and their need to feed on other breaths that has never quick made sense to me, and I sense that the solution to this issue is somewhere in that.

EDIT: also I've always understood this to mean that Returned have access to all the abilities granted by the 5th Heightening, even if their Divine Breath is hidden, so life sense, perfect pitch, etc...

I'd buy that if Vasher and Denth didn't have such huge reactions to getting large amounts of Breath. It very much looks like they haven't experienced those Heightenings in a long time.

I'd buy that if Vasher and Denth didn't have such huge reactions to getting large amounts of Breath. It very much looks like they haven't experienced those Heightenings in a long time.

I always thought the strong reaction was to just the inrush of breaths, but could be... could be...

Either way, I wonder how Vasher is even managing to utilize the Stormlight... can he breathe it in like a KR? Similar to how Breaths are passed I wonder? Otherwise what are his options to access the Stormlight?

If a Returned hides his or her Deific Breath, they must lose the perks that come with it - this quote from the prologue makes it pretty clear to me:

Vasher had around fifty Breaths, just enough to reach the First Heightening. Having so few made him feel poor compared with what he’d once
held, but many would consider fifty Breaths to be a great trea sure.

It's from his point of view and leaves little room for debate.

I imagine he deals with the Weeping by:

• having a couple of pretty massive gemhearts stashed somewhere - if they are big enough, they won't run out of light during the Weeping
  • actually having some Breaths - he only needs a few each Weeping
  • going back to Nalthis and buy / acquiring a few Breaths

As far as I can tell, Stormlight is a lot more efficient than Breath.

If you look at the comparison between Shardblades and Nightblood which has been going on for a while around here you can see some very interesting points.

Brandon himself said that on Roshar Nightblood is practically a Shardblade but stronger (cant find the link to the source right now, sorry), this is something I thought of even before I read him say it, since when Vasher used Nightblood at the end of Warbreaker, he could slice through anything, just like a Shardblade.

Another interesting point is that at the end of WoR Syl tells Kaladin that the Honorblades feed on their wielders Stormlight and that it takes a LOT of it. Just like Nightblood consumes Breath.

This leads me to believe that Nightblood is more like an Honorblade than a Shardblade, but that's beside the point.

If Brandon said Nightblood is actually an Honorblade I think we can assume that an Honorblade and Nightblood would consume the same amount of investiture.

BUT

if you look at the scene where Vasher draws Nightblood, he goes through thousands of breaths in a matter of minutes, if not less. Compared to Szeth that seems a bit extreme doesn't it? I mean, Szeth's blade took a big chunk of his Stormlight but its not like merely holding it caused him to be drained of all light in a matter of minutes.

My conclusion is that Stormlight is just more efficient. I would guess the last Highstorm would be able to hold Vasher up until the end of the weeping easily.

P.S.

First post on these forums, be gentle XD

As far as I can tell, Stormlight is a lot more efficient than Breath.

If you look at the comparison between Shardblades and Nightblood which has been going on for a while around here you can see some very interesting points.

Brandon himself said that on Roshar Nightblood is practically a Shardblade but stronger (cant find the link to the source right now, sorry), this is something I thought of even before I read him say it, since when Vasher used Nightblood at the end of Warbreaker, he could slice through anything, just like a Shardblade.

Another interesting point is that at the end of WoR Syl tells Kaladin that the Honorblades feed on their wielders Stormlight and that it takes a LOT of it. Just like Nightblood consumes Breath.

This leads me to believe that Nightblood is more like an Honorblade than a Shardblade, but that's beside the point.

If Brandon said Nightblood is actually an Honorblade I think we can assume that an Honorblade and Nightblood would consume the same amount of investiture.

BUT

if you look at the scene where Vasher draws Nightblood, he goes through thousands of breaths in a matter of minutes, if not less. Compared to Szeth that seems a bit extreme doesn't it? I mean, Szeth's blade took a big chunk of his Stormlight but its not like merely holding it caused him to be drained of all light in a matter of minutes.

My conclusion is that Stormlight is just more efficient. I would guess the last Highstorm would be able to hold Vasher up until the end of the weeping easily.

P.S.

First post on these forums, be gentle XD

Welcome to the forums! I still doubt that Vasher's body is able to hold Stormlight for the whole Weeping, though. Are you suggesting that feeding off Stormlight somehow cancels out the hard "one a week" rule for feeding? That could be possible, but doesn't seem likely... Returned don't seem to consume a Breath until they need to to keep going. However, Vasher does know more than other Returned, so maybe he has learned how to consume Breath ahead of schedule... interesting idea.

I think Vasher could use compounded nicrosil to remain alive as well.

If he had double spikes, sure, I agree... I also doubt he'd go through with the spiking if consuming Breath makes him uncomfortable.

Welcome to the forums! I still doubt that Vasher's body is able to hold Stormlight for the whole Weeping, though. Are you suggesting that feeding off Stormlight somehow cancels out the hard "one a week" rule for feeding? That could be possible, but doesn't seem likely... Returned don't seem to consume a Breath until they need to to keep going. However, Vasher does know more than other Returned, so maybe he has learned how to consume Breath ahead of schedule... interesting idea.

I think that "one breath" is just the amount of investiture each human is born with on Nalthis, there is no indication anywhere that it is a unit. The Ars Arcanum even states that the numbers needed for each Hightening are rough estimates.

The fact that they needs one breath a week only indicates that they needs a certain amount of investiture consumed each week. I suspect the amount of Stormlight that can be stored in a single mark (not so much) is at least 1 breath, if not more.

Whats to say that each highstorm Vasher is in he doesn't get supercharged enough to last him weeks?

Also, I don't think he needs to store the Stormlight in his body like a surgebinder would. I don't really know enough about the anatomy of Returned but I would guess he knows how to store Stormlight as Breath, I think he just can't use it for awakening on Roshar (different Shards=different magics). I'm pretty confident though that even if we think he gets charged like gems every storm and he had bundles of Stormlight stored in his body he could still make himself look normal, much like he could on Nalthis.

• Chaos locked this topic