[OB] Speculation on Azure and Zahel

ScarletSabre

23 minutes ago, Angsos said:

The bigger question, why did Nale let Szeth keep Nightblood once he chose the other side. He may not know how Nightblood was made but surely being who and what he is, Nale knows Nightblood is extremely powerful object.

This also seemed like a loose-end to me, unless Nale expected this and wants the sword end up in the hands of an "evil" radiant inside Uritheru. It would be a sad day when 50% of the new radiants are taken out by the dustbringer psychotically destroying everyone. 

Edited by teknopathetic

Now Szeth has seen and almost died by Nightblood so I don't he be that careless. Malata will probably try for Nightblood besides even if Dalinar still trusts T, I highly doubt Jasnah will and set a watch on Malata.

25 minutes ago, teknopathetic said:

unless Nale expected this and wants the sword end up in the hands of an "evil" radiant inside Uritheru

I think Nale knows that Humans are the trespassers, and can't stop himself from opposing them, but he still wants them to win. Nightblood is completely irrelevant to the question of who belongs on Roshar, and so Nale can rationalize giving it to whomever he pleases. In this case, Nale knows the power of the sword and is searching for a person with the right morals to wield it because he knows he himself is not that person. The fact that giving the sword to Szeth makes his job harder doesn't matter to him, because the two things are independent of one another, and in Nale's rigid morality both are correct actions regardless of the fact that they are destined to clash.

Nale may even be counting on it. After millennia of immortal torture, I could see him engineering his own oblivion through Nightblood, and this is just one of the steps.

13 hours ago, Rainier said:

I think Nale knows that Humans are the trespassers, and can't stop himself from opposing them, but he still wants them to win. Nightblood is completely irrelevant to the question of who belongs on Roshar, and so Nale can rationalize giving it to whomever he pleases. In this case, Nale knows the power of the sword and is searching for a person with the right morals to wield it because he knows he himself is not that person. The fact that giving the sword to Szeth makes his job harder doesn't matter to him, because the two things are independent of one another, and in Nale's rigid morality both are correct actions regardless of the fact that they are destined to clash.

Nale may even be counting on it. After millennia of immortal torture, I could see him engineering his own oblivion through Nightblood, and this is just one of the steps.

Very good points... And Nale definitely  knows humans are the trespassers, he specifically asks Szeth before Szeth goes to Dalinar on whether they should fight for the true/original owners of Roshar or not.

The questions for me are how long he's known, and whether or not that had any influence on him giving Nightblood to Szeth... and how the storming hells he got Nightblood in the first place.

Hmmm... I wonder if Nale took him from Vasher after Nightblood decided Nale would be far better at destroying evil than Vasher, who seems to have come to Roshar to pretty much chill out (possibly after killing Yesteel...). Perhaps this was their disagreement/falling out?

Edited by ScarletSabre

• Chaos locked this topic