Warbreaker and the Stormlight Archive are more closely related then any other world in the cosmere- I think

Also, @eleventh of the moon , Vasher had been to Roshar before the events of Warbreaker and Way of Kings ^_^

He saw Shardblades, and based Nightblood's design on them, trying to recreate them/create a version of them with Awakening.

Vivenna/Azure's sword is a closer version to a traditional Shardblade, though if I recall correctly, something happened during Nightblood's creation that made him so much more powerful than a Shardblade, which we'll eventually find out what.

Oh, and Nightblood originally had a different name when he was created, Vasher took to calling him Nightblood after he used him to kill his wife to keep the secret of his creation hidden. So we might learn that in the future too!

2 hours ago, ScarletSabre said:

something happened during Nightblood's creation that made him so much more powerful than a Shardblade, which we'll eventually find out what.

It was the strength and ambiguity of the command; "destroy" is very strong, and "evil" is very abstract.

They break the land itself! They want it, but in their rage they will destroy it. Like the jealous man burns his rich things rather than let them be taken by his enemies! They come! 

And all the world was shattered! The rocks trembled with their steps, and the stones reached toward the heavens. We die! We die! 

^Death Rattles.

Stormlight Era1 in my opinion needs to end with failure. I think it is possible Roshar will be damaged. I don't know if it will be fully destroyed. I'm thinking something similar to the state Ashyn is supposedly in.

Edited by Fatikis

18 hours ago, Leyrann said:

It was the strength and ambiguity of the command; "destroy" is very strong, and "evil" is very abstract.

Oh, we have confirmation on that? I wasn't sure...

Plus, reading the Annotations for Warbreaker in the last few days reminded me that the sickness touching Nightblood caused Vivenna is Nightblood's test for evilness.

An evil person will pick him up and want to, and will, use him to kill others. A good person will feel sick from it. So he seems to have some way of knowing the abstractness of evil...

16 minutes ago, ScarletSabre said:
18 hours ago, Leyrann said:

Oh, we have confirmation on that? I wasn't sure...

No, we do not have confirmation of this.  I'm of the belief it was something else, due to the fact that Nightblood's been described as "one of the most heavily Invested objects in the Cosmere," and 1000 Breaths, while a lot, doesn't seem like nearly enough to account for his strength/level of Investiture.  

@Scion of the Mists I think "Objects" is a very important part of that.

Off the top of my head, there aren't other forms of Cosmere magic we've seen that can put much investiture into other objects.  Surgebinding seems like it can put a decent amount; but it's only temporary, and if you put a lot in most will leak out quickly.

Feruchemy and hemalurgy can add investiture to metals; but again I doubt it's an extreme amount at all.

AFAIK breath is the only real way to add lots of investiture to objects that we've seen.  Although it seems crazy that it's one of the most invested objects in the Cosmere; it kinda makes sense when you consider how few objects are actually holding their own investiture.

I'm sure many of the crazier magic objects we find in the Cosmere offer some sort of connection to a source of investiture, making it easier/possible to do powerful things; but the object itself is rarely invested; especially to the point where it gains sentience in the physical realm (or at least is strong enough in the Cognitive to speak directly into someone's mind even if they aren't in the cognitive realm fully).

21 minutes ago, Journey Before Pancakes said:

@Scion of the Mists I think "Objects" is a very important part of that.

Off the top of my head, there aren't other forms of Cosmere magic we've seen that can put much investiture into other objects.  Surgebinding seems like it can put a decent amount; but it's only temporary, and if you put a lot in most will leak out quickly.

Feruchemy and hemalurgy can add investiture to metals; but again I doubt it's an extreme amount at all.

AFAIK breath is the only real way to add lots of investiture to objects that we've seen.  Although it seems crazy that it's one of the most invested objects in the Cosmere; it kinda makes sense when you consider how few objects are actually holding their own investiture.

I'm sure many of the crazier magic objects we find in the Cosmere offer some sort of connection to a source of investiture, making it easier/possible to do powerful things; but the object itself is rarely invested; especially to the point where it gains sentience in the physical realm (or at least is strong enough in the Cognitive to speak directly into someone's mind even if they aren't in the cognitive realm fully).

I mean every shardblade is literally made of godmetal. They are sentient investiture. This means 1000 breaths is more investiture than a large chunk of godmetal. Given 1000 is a small number of breaths compared to the number of breaths being held by some, I doubt it is enough to invest the most powerful object in the cosmere. There is likely something else going on with Nightblood.

2 hours ago, Fatikis said:

I mean every shardblade is literally made of godmetal. They are sentient investiture. This means 1000 breaths is more investiture than a large chunk of godmetal. Given 1000 is a small number of breaths compared to the number of breaths being held by some, I doubt it is enough to invest the most powerful object in the cosmere. There is likely something else going on with Nightblood.

Agreed. The way that Nightblood is repeatedly described through WoBs, I think it's the highest concentration of investiture we've seen in something that is not itself a Shard. 

Edited by Calderis

hm. 

3 hours ago, Fatikis said:

Hm, makes sense. So why are these to places so alike while everywhere else is different?

i spelled places wrong, didn't i?

Edited by eleventh of the moon

Just now, eleventh of the moon said:

i spelled places wrong, didn't i?

Welcome to the Shard, @eleventh of the moon!  You can edit your previous post by hitting the "Edit" button at the bottom.  This will not only allow you to fix your typos, but also avoid double posting (which is not allowed on this site).  

Be sure to check out this post:

4 hours ago, Calderis said:

Agreed. The way that Nightblood is repeatedly described through WoBs, I think it's the highest concentration of investiture we've seen in something that is not itself a Shard. 

Aaaalmost, Brandon has implied that there are Perpendicularities with equal or greater Investiture.

Questioner

How would you compare the Investiture in Nightblood to the Investiture in one of the spren turned into a--

Brandon Sanderson

Sword? They have less Investiture than Nightblood.

Questioner

What about [Nightblood] compared to a Shardpool?

Brandon Sanderson

Nightblood compared to a Shardpool? Depends on the Pool.

source

It's probably safe to assume that when 'full' Preservation's Perpendicularity at least had a higher concentration of Investiture than Nightblood, But pretty much everything else would be less. And that practically requires something different to be happening with Nightblood since as everyone has noted, a thousand Breaths alone can't account for what Brandon has said about his relative Investiture level.

1 hour ago, eleventh of the moon said:

i guess that makes sense. What exactly is investiture? In the MAG (though not canon) and The Bands of Mourning it speaks of investiture though it says that it's properties are mostly unknown. 

It's the technical term for magic in the Cosmere and is another state of matter/energy. Stormlight and Breath are other forms of Investiture. Everything in the Cosmere has a little Investiture in it but things like Seons and spren are Investiture that has attained sapience (it's an an emergent property) and people who can use various Cosmere magics tend to be more heavily Invested, depending on various factors.

When it's mentioned that feruchemical nicrosil 'stores Investiture' what exactly that does is unclear* and the cast of any given book may not understand the underpinnings of their magic but they'll generally understand the idea of Investiture even if they don't use that term. Look at how Vasher (someone who has a deeper understanding of Investiture than most) describes a Highstorm compared to the native Rosharans for an example of how both describe the same phenomenon but use different language.

* We know a little more now about how it stores the ability to use various magic systems, but native Scadrians are still working it out so we're learning it along with them.

Edited by Weltall

14 hours ago, eleventh of the moon said:

i guess that makes sense. What exactly is investiture? In the MAG (though not canon) and The Bands of Mourning it speaks of investiture though it says that it's properties are mostly unknown. 

This is something that the Coppermind (basically the Cosmere Wikipedia) is great at answering: https://coppermind.net/wiki/Investiture

FYI, the Coppermind hasn't quite kept pace with developments in our understanding of the Cosmere (it's something that's being worked on) but yeah, in general it's a wiki devoted to all things Brandon Sanderson and the Cosmere is the biggest part of it. Though you can also find material on his non-Cosmere works like the Reckoners trilogy and the Rithmatist.

When you want the most up-to-date material, check out Arcanum (there's a link right at the top of the Shard) which is specifically devoted to cateloguing what Brandon has said outside the books themselves. It's got a search engine and you can generally find anything you're looking for with a minimum of fuss. And browsing it is a very easy way to eat up a few spare hours. xD