Honourblades dismissal.

Xtafa

I've checked through the forums and through some WOB BUT I can't seem to find any mention how "Bonding" works with an Honourblade. 

I'm aware that there is no true bond as with a shardblade but they can be summoned and dismissed. 

Do they also have a gemstone on the hilt? is it mentioned somewhere the difference?

Where do Honourblades go when dismissed? There is no spren to go to the cognitive realm. 

Actually, there's a bond.

While Brandon has at times said you do not bond Honorblades (March 4, 2014 and March 13, 2014) he corrected himself a few days later on March 19, 2014.

Finally, we have a WoB from 2017 saying outright that there is a bond:

Brandon Sanderson

A full-blown Radiant can heal almost anything (cut from a Shardblade included) because of the way the magic works--their soul is literally bonded to investiture, and it suffuses them in such a way that even the soul is very resilient to damage.

Honorblades are what you'd consider a "prototype" for what eventually happened with Shardblades. An Honorblade can be used by anyone, without need for oaths, which makes them very dangerous--but since the bond isn't as deep, they are far less efficient. They use more stormlight, for example, and can't heal to the extent that a Radiant can.

So the difference is not in the device that did the damage, but in the method using to heal. Over the course of the first two book, the reader should be able to subtly pick out differences from what Szeth says is possible(in more than just healing) and what Kaladin experiences.

source

It isn't as deep as a spren bond but it is a bond.

11 hours ago, Xtafa said:

Do they also have a gemstone on the hilt? is it mentioned somewhere the difference?

We do not believe they do, but I don't think we can prove it due to the lack of in-book descriptions.

11 hours ago, Xtafa said:

Where do Honourblades go when dismissed? There is no spren to go to the cognitive realm. 

There may not be a Spren, but they are still composed of Investiture just like Spren are, so them doing something similar doesn't seem out of the question.

It is of note that you have to mentally dismiss an Honorblade for it to disappear. If you accidentally dropped it or got it knocked out of your hand, it would clang on the ground. And I think this has to do with the fact that it's not a thinking spren and isn't capable of doing that by itself.

• Chaos locked this topic