Zahel and Kaladin

taliefer

I find it very intersting that Kaladins first thoughts in this book are about "Breath", and even goes so far as to say "Breath. His own little storm". Im curious if people think this is just foreshadowing and clues about Zahel being Vasher, or could Vasher and Kaladin have much more, and important, interaction in the series than just the little training that took place?

Brandon has mentioned that the characters that we recognize are basically Easter eggs but I hadn't connected the Breath thing at the beginning with Vasher. I can definitely see Vasher help Kaladin, even after all the help he gave him throughout all of WoR.

It just very interesting and kind of random that Kaladin is musing about breath in his intro for this book, where we later find vasher just chilling. I dont really want all the worldhopping stuff to be more than an easter egg(tho i think its getting a bit more play than background easter eggs as it is), but i cant help but thinking nightblood and vasher are going to have at least a little more than a behind the scenes role.

But it doesn't matter that Zahel is Vasher. Not at this point anyway. The only bits of SA that I can think of which require external commerce knowledge are knowing that Wit is Hoid, what a shard is, and Nightblood and Adonalsium.

Brandon said in an interview that he thinks of Zahel/Vasher and Nightblood as Stormlight characters and Warbreaker was a prequel to their characters. so I think they'll have a pretty big part to play in the next books.

Brandon said in an interview that he thinks of Zahel/Vasher and Nightblood as Stormlight characters and Warbreaker was a prequel to their characters. so I think they'll have a pretty big part to play in the next books.

i really do hope so! :)

I thought Kaladin's little meditation on breath might have something to do with the body focus "inhalation" as associated with the first essence from the Ars Arcanum (1 Jes, sapphire, zephyr, inhaltation, protecting/leading). ? The Windrunners are associated with that essence (see also, Kaladin's eyes at the end of the book, when they are described as brown in tWoK, and their position on the Double Eye Chart of Orders and Surges).

I agree it supports the Stormlight = investiture =~ Breath or close enough for Zahel/Vasher's needs.

Now we need to experiment on Shallan and Kaladin to see if holding certain amounts of stormlight gives them perfect pitch (2nd heightening), enhanced color perception(3rd), or life sense(4th). Is there a mention from one of Kaladin's POV chapters of being able to see better in the dark with stormlight in him? (I'm an audiobook person and my hardback has yet to arrive.) Did speaking the second ideal grant the entirely unnoticed gift of Perfect Pitch along with more effecient Stormlight use?  

I noticed that the Pre-Radiants we get POVs from (Kaladin, Shallan, Dalinar) all seem to notice each other/ trust each other because of 'instincts'.... Could it be related to a 1st heightening type of aura perception, but with Stormlight capacity instead of Breath's color intensification? Working on a subconcious level, probably, since neither Syl or Pattern noticed that the other person in the snark-fests was a (pre-)radiant...

I do enjoy watching magic systems collide...

Really? Awesome. Do you happen to have a link to that interview?

Great point, I never thought much about Kaladin Breating in Stormlight. I think it's just a similarity of the Cosmere though. From what I've read, all forms of Investature are absorbed through the mouth. There's Breath, Stormlight isn't just absorbed into your body, it has to be Breathed in, and metals from Mistborn are eaten. 

Even

Lift, who doesn't have to absorb Stormlight directly can only make Stormlight by ingesting food

I wonder if this is going to be more significant in the future, or just a little fun fact and common rule of the Cosmere.

Great point, I never thought much about Kaladin Breating in Stormlight. I think it's just a similarity of the Cosmere though. From what I've read, all forms of Investature are absorbed through the mouth. There's Breath, Stormlight isn't just absorbed into your body, it has to be Breathed in, and metals from Mistborn are eaten. 

Even

Lift, who doesn't have to absorb Stormlight directly can only make Stormlight by ingesting food

I wonder if this is going to be more significant in the future, or just a little fun fact and common rule of the Cosmere.

What about the Dor? Unless the Shaod strikes by being eaten/inhaled somehow, this would break the pattern. And Forging seems to have nothing to do with eating/breathing.

What about the Dor? Unless the Shaod strikes by being eaten/inhaled somehow, this would break the pattern. And Forging seems to have nothing to do with eating/breathing.

The Sel magics seem to work slightly differently than most other forms of investiture in that the person themselves is not the actual conduit. The symbol is what actually filters and channels the energy. For instance, you can make a soulstamp and someone else can use it just as easily as you can. They are external magics and thus the investiture wouldn't need to be ingested to perform them.

Even

In response to your spoiler, do we know for certain that is the only way she can or the only way she knows?

In response to your spoiler, do we know for certain that is the only way she can or the only way she knows?

Probably the only way she knows. Darkness seems to think she can inhale it, hence his moving of gemstones in their path so she wouldn't be close enough. I think Lift can inhale Stormlight. It would be odd if she could only do it through food.

Even

Feruchemy? Hemalurgy?

I didn't read book three, and got only halfway through book two, but I don't think those are ... ingested—is that the right word?—are they?

Probably can do it normally too... But doesn't know/know how.

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 387973120 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 482822448 bytes) in Unknown on line 0

Edit: ninja'd...

Edited by Stroniax

Probably the only way she knows. Darkness seems to think she can inhale it, hence his moving of gemstones in their path so she wouldn't be close enough. I think Lift can inhale Stormlight. It would be odd if she could only do it through food.

I don't think you can use Darkness as proof she can breath stormlight. He is just acting based on his current knowledge about how stormlight works. Of course he would assume she'd inhale it. He is genuinely surprised when she started building stormlight after eating the bread so he has no idea about her specific situation.

What the night mother did to her is obviously a very unique change based on what Wyndle says so it isn't out of the realm of possibility that she changed Lift so that the only way she could invest was through food. Seems like the kind of thing the night mother would do. "Sure, I'll make you awesome, but you'll have to starve to use it."

i went and re-read warbreaker over the weekend...i think vasher and kaladin are very similar characters in that both try hard to do the right thing, but have had to make some hard choices in their lives.

not much, but i dont know. they just "feel" very similar when reading. in a good way. it got me hoping for more interaction between the two of them. 

the intro to chapter 2:

Breath.

A man’s breath was his life. Exhaled, bit by bit, back into the world. Kaladin breathed deeply, eyes closed, and for a time that was all he could hear. His own life. In, out, to the beating of the thunder in his chest.

Breath. His own little storm.

the wording seems very deliberate.  I know there are similarities in all the magic systems,  but Brandon seems to link these two here very clearly. Breath is quite literally Life in Warbreaker.

Regarding Lift,  wouldnt she have had to be bonded and therefore probably inhaled stormlight before she went to Nightmother and then got changed? id need to re-read her interlude, but i dont remember if there was any thoughts in her head about spheres close enough for her to even try inhaling.

my wild guess would be food is the only way she can if she doesnt even consider inhalation. 

• Chaos locked this topic