ORDER

sahsinamunhasir

Question

Hi everyone!
Firstly English is not my mother tongue, i'm still learning so sorry for mistakes.Thank you for your courtesy.

I read Legion by Brandon Sanderson, and i loved him. Now, i want to read all Brandon Sanderson books. Other Brandon Sanderson books' place is Cosmere.
So I want to enter Brandon Sanderson's Cosmere.

I found an order. Here:

Elantris

Mistborn 1-2-3

Warbreaker

Mistborn 4-5-6

White Sand 1

The Way of Kings (SLA 1)

Words of Radiance (SLA 2)

Is this true (good) order? People say ''there is no order'' but I want to enjoy more, help me please.

6 answers to this question

Just now, RShara said:

That order certainly works. I'd personally read Mistborn 4, 5, 6 (and 7 when it comes out) right after 1, 2, and 3, then read Warbreaker, myself. There are also novellas in Arcanum Unbounded.

I will read Arcanum Unbounded but not translated yet. 

After Words of Radiance, i will read White Sand 2 or Arcanum Unbounded. (if translated)

On 5/18/2018 at 11:44 AM, RShara said:

That order certainly works. I'd personally read Mistborn 4, 5, 6 (and 7 when it comes out) right after 1, 2, and 3, then read Warbreaker, myself. There are also novellas in Arcanum Unbounded.

In general I'd advise people to read books in published order - not just Cosmere or Sanderson works - in any long running or crossing-over type series, because that way you get all the "easter egg" revelations as they were designed, or as they actually happened (without benefit of retcon), and all the geeky fan love/angst they can engender.

But in the case of the Mistborn books, I would personally recommend taking a break between Era 1 (books 1-3) and Era 2 (the Wax/Wayne books), and read something else in between. I happened to read the first Mistborn trilogy about two weeks before Alloy of Law was published, tore right into it as a result (spending much of those two weeks re-reading Mistborn), and... Felt disappointed in ways I don't think I would have if I'd read it more "on its own" with time in between, and after going back and re-reading it for when the later Era 2 books came out, found myself liking AoL a lot more. I knew it wasn't a "continuation" of Mistborn, as it took place hundreds of years later, but I was still too invested (not with a capital I) in the milieu of the Final Empire and kind of couldn't "deal with" there not being any Mistborn in a Mistborn novel.

BTW you left out "The Emperor's Soul" from your list, not to mention the shorter stories like "Sixth of Dusk", "Shadows For Silence",  and "Edgedancer", all of which are in Arcanum Unbounded.

If you pick up that book to read all of them, just read them straight through in the order they are in that compendium.