Correlation of books?

ShardBreaker

Question

6 answers to this question

For a somewhat more thorough timeline of all the stories, with unpublished but planned works in italics:

- The Liar of Partinel/Dragonsteel (the earliest works planned, Hoid's origin story, the Shattering of Adonalsium and everything in between)

- White Sand (the earliest published work on the timeline)

- Elantris (the second-earliest, Brandon was at one point trying to decide if this or White Sand happened first)

- Elantris sequels (planned to begin about a decade after Elantris' ending)

- The Emperor's Soul (after Elantris, but within the lifetime of characters from the earlier work)

- Mistborn Era 1 and Secret History (the books published through Way of Kings are in chronological order, placing MB Era 1 between Elantris and Warbreaker)

- Warbreaker (see ahove)

- Shadows for Silence in the Forest of Hell (happens before Stormlight Archive, exactly where it falls isn't clear)

- Nightblood (the planned sequel to Warbreaker, intended to be the closest book in the timeline to the beginning of Stormlight Archive)

- Stormlight Archive - First Half (see above, we know Way of Kings begins after all the above books)

- Mistborn Era 2 (about three centuries after Era 1 and after the events of the first half of the Stormlight Archive)

- Stormlight Archive - Second Half (see above)

- Mistborn Era 3 (almost certainly takes place before Sixth of the Dusk but this hasn't been absolutely confirmed)

- Sixth of of the Dusk (the latest published work on the timeline)

- Mistborn Era 4 (the final planned work on the timeline, also the Big Crossover Story)

In addition to those, Brandon has a couple of planned but unwritten stories that we can't place on a timeline yet, such as novellas taking place on Threnody and in Silverlight, The Silence Divine (set on Ashyn) and The Aether of Night (unnamed world).

Elantris
Mistborn era 1
Warbreaker
Stormlight
Mistborn era 2

Is the approximate order for most of the major series' with Stormlight an era 2 mistborn happening pretty close to each other, at least on the scale of the cosmere.

On 5/18/2018 at 0:19 PM, Weltall said:

For a somewhat more thorough timeline of all the stories, with unpublished but planned works in italics:

- The Liar of Partinel/Dragonsteel (the earliest works planned, Hoid's origin story, the Shattering of Adonalsium and everything in between)

- White Sand (the earliest published work on the timeline)

- Elantris (the second-earliest, Brandon was at one point trying to decide if this or White Sand happened first)

- Elantris sequels (planned to begin about a decade after Elantris' ending)

- The Emperor's Soul (after Elantris, but within the lifetime of characters from the earlier work)

- Mistborn Era 1 and Secret History (the books published through Way of Kings are in chronological order, placing MB Era 1 between Elantris and Warbreaker)

- Warbreaker (see ahove)

- Shadows for Silence in the Forest of Hell (happens before Stormlight Archive, exactly where it falls isn't clear)

- Nightblood (the planned sequel to Warbreaker, intended to be the closest book in the timeline to the beginning of Stormlight Archive)

- Stormlight Archive - First Half (see above, we know Way of Kings begins after all the above books)

- Mistborn Era 2 (about three centuries after Era 1 and after the events of the first half of the Stormlight Archive)

- Stormlight Archive - Second Half (see above)

- Mistborn Era 3 (almost certainly takes place before Sixth of the Dusk but this hasn't been absolutely confirmed)

- Sixth of of the Dusk (the latest published work on the timeline)

- Mistborn Era 4 (the final planned work on the timeline, also the Big Crossover Story)

In addition to those, Brandon has a couple of planned but unwritten stories that we can't place on a timeline yet, such as novellas taking place on Threnody and in Silverlight, The Silence Divine (set on Ashyn) and The Aether of Night (unnamed world).

Question regarding this. What makes it so certain that The Emperor’s Soul doesn’t take place in the gap between Elantris and it’s sequels?

There are WoB's that Shai is supposed to turn up in the Elantris sequel, as a cameo character at the very least, but I'm not sure if this would be before Emperor's Soul or not.

Aleesha (paraphrased)

Will Shai have a role in the next Elantris books?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

Yes she will have a role in the future Elantris books or at least a cameo in them if not.

source

Questioner

You mentioned that you're not doing another Emperor's Soul book. I wanted to know, what would or did happen if [Shai] ever tracks down the Imperial Fool?

Brandon Sanderson

So, you might see her again in books. She did eventually track him down. So, I might include her in books. I won't write a sequel story to Emperor's Soul, but you have not seen the last of Shai. You will see cameos. And it's entirely possibly I will sneak one into a book somewhere, or something like a scene. She did eventually track him down.

source

18 hours ago, animalia said:

Question regarding this. What makes it so certain that The Emperor’s Soul doesn’t take place in the gap between Elantris and it’s sequels?

Mainly the way that Brandon describes the relative timeline. We know exactly when the Elantris sequels are planned to take place and Brandon's used the same description across several WoBs, here's one:

As much as I love those, I kind of like it as a reader when I be like “Alright here’s a standalone I can read by this author, let me get to know this author before I delve into something that may take five or six years to finish. And so we did Elantris on its own, but I always had, in the back of my mind, what I would do for sequels. I actually imagined the Elantris world, the sequels being kind of Pern-style sequels, in that each sequel is kind of about a different person, different characters but the other characters are still a big part of the plot. And so the sequel will take place ten years after the first book and I hope to release it 2015 which will be ten years after the book came out. And the star of it will be Sarene’s uncle and his family, so Kiin and his children, they’ll be the main viewpoint characters, though Sarene and Raoden would appear, but it will be about them. The plot of it is actually, they go and visit Fjorden as the ambassadors to Fjorden and things start to go kind of creepy. I will eventually write that book but I’m not sure when I will get to it. source

Then we got this on The Emperor's Soul

Kogiopsis

When is The Emperor's Soul set relative to Elantris specifically and the other cosmere books?

Brandon Sanderson

The Emperor's Soul is set after Elantris but not so far that the characters from Elantris would not still be around.

source

Questioner

When does Emperor's Soul take place in relation to the events of Elantris?

Brandon Sanderson

After them.

Questioner

Like how long after?

Brandon Sanderson

I haven't answered that yet. A lot of people keep asking. But after them, but not so far after them that the technology level has shifted, which I allow, in my worlds, to happen. And also not so far after that the Emperor's Soul- if you keep your eyes open you will see a Derethi priest in full armor. And so, not so far after that the kingdoms we are familiar with no longer exist. They do exist and the tech level has not shifted dramatically so you can use that to kind of ballpark for yourself, a range. It's certainly not thousands of years later, in other words.

source

Now those are a bit vague but the fact that he brings up the possibility that characters might not be around suggests that it's after the sequels when we know the characters will still be around.

Now, I hadn't previously seen the WoB @Slimy_Slider provided about Shai in future Elantris books, but as said it's not clear whether that would be a before or after situation either. So I guess it's a bit more vague where TES fits in the timeline; it would probably be better to say of that timeline that I think TES falls after the sequels but it's not completely certain.