[OB] Read Warbreaker 4th story first?

1st at all, sorry for my bad english...

Right now, I’m reading the second book (after the firsts interludes) of Oathbringer, and looking for information about Szeth in Coppermind, I read that the sword that Szeth got on WoR, appears on the Warbreaker 4th story.
Do you recommend me read first this story before continuing OB? Or is not 100% necessary? Is is necessary, I can read the 4th story without read the rest book?
My intention is read all cosmere books, WB included.

Thanks!

EDIT: SPOILERS OB and maybe WB

Spoiler

Someone tells me that this sword is not the unic WB element that appears in OB, some character too appears, is WB essential or not at all to understand OB, or if I read WB after OB will be fine too? 10x!

Edited by Rand al’Thorres

You don't need to read Warbreaker first, no.  When you do, you'll see some familiar things from the Stormlight Archive, but nothing that will change the plot.

Also there's a unwritten sequel to Warbreaker that will apparently answer some questions about what happens between Warbreaker and TSA, but we don't have any real details.

If you're partway through WoR now, I wouldn't say to put it down (as if you could) to read Warbreaker and then come back to WoR just for the full "easter egg" experience.

That said, if you DID put WoR down partway through for whatever reason, and decided to start from the beginning to refresh your memory, ... yeah, read Warbreaker before doing that, because the payoff for one of the last scenes in WoR would be nice.

OTOH the Copperrmind annotation may have spoiled that "aha / whoa!" moment anyway, to some degree.

There's no plot linkage between the stories, it's just that it was fun to have read (and re-read) Warbreaker several years before reading Words of Radiance and Oathbreaker, and  feeling like I had an inside view as to what the nature of certain things or characters were. (As well as the additional feeling of, but that only raises MORE questions!)

In the end, no information is lost or gained, only a feeling of recognition, if you read the books in the published order versus in-universe chronological order.

That's standard for many a long-running "shared universe" fantasy series, though, especially ones that jump in location or time from one book/series to another.

9 hours ago, Rand al’Thorres said:

1I read that the sword that Szeth got on WoR, appears on the Warbreaker 4th story.
Do you recommend me read first this story before continuing OB? Or is not 100% necessary? Is is necessary, I can read the 4th story without read the rest book?

There is not a "4th Warbreaker story" - there is only one Warbreaker book and it is not very long.  The sword that Szeth gets in WoR is a big part of Warbreaker, and as you say...

9 hours ago, Rand al’Thorres said:
  Hide contents

Someone tells me that this sword is not the unic WB element that appears in OB, some character too appears, is WB essential or not at all to understand OB, or if I read WB after OB will be fine too? 10x!

As well as the sword, there are also a few characters from Warbreaker that appear in OB.  As other people have said, I would suggest reading Warbreaker first, just because it will make those "easter eggs" much more exciting.  However, you definitely don't have to read Warbreaker first - you will still be able to understand OB perfectly well without reading it.  

1 hour ago, Llarimar said:

There is not a "4th Warbreaker story" - there is only one Warbreaker book and it is not very long.

Unless it's in a different language. Aren't the books split up sometimes when in different languages?

2 hours ago, Rebecca said:

Unless it's in a different language. Aren't the books split up sometimes when in different languages?

I've not heard of that before.  Maybe Warbreaker is split into multiple parts in other languages.  But Nightblood is present throughout the entire novel so I would assume that he appears in every part if there are multiple parts.  

On 5/17/2018 at 3:40 PM, Rebecca said:

I know the Stormlight books often get split in two(the English versions as well, in some countries), but I think Warbreaker is short enough to not need that.

44 minutes ago, The One Who Connects said:

I know the Stormlight books often get split in two(the English versions as well, in some countries), but I think Warbreaker is short enough to not need that.

Oh, okay. That makes sense. Thanks for clarifying.

To clarify this point, Warbreaker spanish version (ascuriosity, translated as El Aliento de los Dioses, The Breath of the Gods aprox.), was published as 1 only book, but I misunderstand that WB was separeted in 4 parts, for this reason I said 4th story... sorry for the confusion haha

Thx to all :) 

1 hour ago, Rand al’Thorres said:

To clarify this point, Warbreaker spanish version (ascuriosity, translated as El Aliento de los Dioses, The Breath of the Gods aprox.), was published as 1 only book, but I misunderstand that WB was separeted in 4 parts, for this reason I said 4th story... sorry for the confusion haha

Thx to all :) 

Thanks for clarifying, you're totally fine!  I should try to read Warbreaker in Spanish, or one of Sanderson's other books.  I've studied Spanish for six semesters at school and so I probably would be able to understand a lot of the material, especially since it's not super heavy literature.  

Just now, Llarimar said:

Thanks for clarifying, you're totally fine!  I should try to read Warbreaker in Spanish, or one of Sanderson's other books.  I've studied Spanish for six semesters at school and so I probably would be able to understand a lot of the material, especially since it's not super heavy literature.  

I encourage you to try it! We have awesome translators here, but the Cosmere vocabulary translated not sounds allways as well as in English, and maybe you will confuse the words at the beggining. But everything is getting used to.

I should do the same but reading BS in English... but I need a little more knowledge of this lenguage...

• 1 month later...

Hello

Could you give me some advise - If i've read books from Stormlight Archive and I would like to read other Sanderson's books - where should I start? Mistborn? Elantris? Is it really important what I should read first?

On 6/22/2018 at 2:48 PM, minima said:

Could you give me some advise - If I've read books from Stormlight Archive and I would like to read other Sanderson's books - where should I start? Mistborn? Elantris? Is it really important what I should read first?

The only thing that should be read "first" is Mistborn Era 1 before Era 2. Otherwise, the series are self-contained enough to be read in any order.

The containment may change by the time Mistborn Era 3&4 rolls around, but until then, any order is fine. The only thing you'd be missing out on is the easter eggs/cameos, which you'd only notice on a reread anyway.

• Pagerunner changed the title to [OB] Read Warbreaker 4th story first?

On 24.06.2018 at 0:38 AM, The One Who Connects said:

The only thing that should be read "first" is Mistborn Era 1 before Era 2. Otherwise, the series are self-contained enough to be read in any order.

The containment may change by the time Mistborn Era 3&4 rolls around, but until then, any order is fine. The only thing you'd be missing out on is the easter eggs/cameos, which you'd only notice on a reread anyway.

Mmmm that is a little distubring but thank you ;)

Edited by minima

• Chaos locked this topic