[OB] The nature of Investiture

Obviously take this with a pinch of copper. But it is my theory that Investiture manifests differently depending on what planet it appears on. I noticed that the magic on Scadrial is based on metal, hence the "Metallic" arts. Both Atium and Lerasium are metals, but come from different shards. Then on Roshar, Honor's power is stormlight. Now, I don't know about Cultivation, but Odium's power seems to be an opposite to Honor's, called voidlight. We don't know where Odium came from before, or how his power manifested there, so I don't have more than these two examples, though I find it hard to believe this is coincidence. Maybe it was the easiest way for Brandon to tell a good story, without having to get too technical and explain too much about the magic, but maybe there's something to this theory.

The magic systems on each planet involve how that Shard's (or Shards') particular flavor of investiture interacts with the nature of the planet, yeah.

Edited by RShara

46 minutes ago, Narcoleptic Axolotl said:

We don't know where Odium came from before, or how his power manifested there.

Odium came from Ashyn.  Non-cannon alert:  The investiture was based off of sickness. Those that were sick gained powers from it. 

As to your theory as Rshara stated it is basically correct. The bit with Atium and Lerasium isn't quite right. The metals didn't just manifest because of the nature of Scadrial. Excess shardic power seems to often take the form of metal on any of the planets. For instance Shardblades are a godmetal.

Edited by Fatikis

• Pagerunner changed the title to [OB] The nature of Investiture

We don't actually know that for sure, either :) We know he was involved in the cataclysm, but not how much or whether he'd actually invested in the planet, or was there just long enough to influence people and mess it up.

Thanks, guys. Nice to know I got something right for once. Just for clarification though,

On 5/1/2018 at 10:58 AM, RShara said:

We know he was involved in the cataclysm, but not whether was there just long enough to influence people and mess it up.

What you say is officially true, but in OB, the Eila Stele says:

A new god. Their god.

Now, it's worth noting that the Dawnsingers' perspective wouldn't be 100% accurate. But the wording implies that the voidbringers definitely belong to Odium. (or the other way around) Any more thoughts?

Hoidonalsium [PENDING REVIEW]

What was the order of the Shards coming to Roshar and changing allegiences? Did Humans come with Odium?

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

So... you're talking about on Roshar specifically? So, Odium had visited Roshar. The humans gave him more of an ear... The Dawnsingers would have considered him the god of the people who had come, but-- I mean, it wasn't like they necessarily brought him. He was capable of getting around before that. I mean, he did kinda come along with them, he was instrumental in what happened there.

Hoidonalsium [PENDING REVIEW]

Okay, but he was separate, and after Honor and Cultivation had really settled there?

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

Yes, he was after Honor and Cultivation had settled.

source

Gemhearts are also mentioned as being formed from leaking investiture, similar to Atium and stormlight. I'm guessing this is the case for most shards and their power, so you would be right in some regard.

• Chaos locked this topic