[OB] OK, just about ready for my first re-read of Oathbringer

robardin

After reading the early release chapters as they came out, I blew through the remaining 2/3rds or so Oathbringer upon its release, and it was quite a ride.

I suspect a lot of the pacing jolts I felt had more to do with reading the early release stuff in segmented form. I might not do that for the next Cosmere work with early previews. It's hard not to want to get the text "hot off the presses", but this isn't actually written to be read in digest form (like Dickens' works), and I think it showed.

On the other hand, I've waited this long to re-read Oathbringer - and went back and re-read pretty much all the Mistborn works as a break - because so much of it was emotionally draining, or otherwise bombshell type stuff. The deaths of the freed Listeners... Elhokar... Moash breaking Kaladin's heart... Seeing the impact of the Unmade, unleashed... The apparent resolution of the ASK triangle, a Radiant working with the Diagram, etc., etc. And of course, the Ascendancy of Dalinar Kholin.

It will definitely take a re-read for me to digest it all, and I think I'm ready for it now.

I was so rooting for Elhokar just before he died. Man.

• Pagerunner changed the title to [OB] OK, just about ready for my first re-read of Oathbringer
51 minutes ago, robardin said:

I was so rooting for Elhokar just before he died. Man.

That scene was so cinematic.  I generally "play a movie" of a book in my head while reading, but that part especially I think could transfer to film so well.  The sound fading to a high pitched hum when Kaladin freezes and screams while friends on both sides die. The scene goes into slow-mo (or all stop except Moash and Kaladin) while Moash approaches.  Then it all crashes back together after.

When I finally do my SA reread this summer, it's gonna be freaking awesome. I've already read OB twice, but it'll probably be so much better the third time around. 

Also, I'll be rereading WoK for the first time since I read it and I'll probably cry even more the second time reading through Tien's death. 

• Chaos locked this topic