Why Could the Dakhor Still Use Their Magic in Arelon

Kidpen

Question

1 answer to this question

There's a slow drop off for each type of magic.  It's really noticeable for Elantrians because they get that huge Elantris boost.  If they were to go to Fjorden, Aons would function at about the same level of power as the Monks' does in Arelon. 

The Monks have also figured a way to give themselves a bit more power while away.  Seems to involve human sacrifice, if I remember the books correctly.

Brightlord Maelstrom

When a Dakhor monk leaves his homeland do his bones still give him his abilities? Is it only the creation that's location-dependent or is it also the ability that's location-dependent?

Brandon Sanderson

The further you get away, the weaker the power the bones will give you will get. It's way better than Elantris at bringing the power with you. That's where it is in the notes right now, I have not written the second book, I could totally change that.

source

Questioner

Do the monks of Dakhor and Forging suffer from the same weakness of distance as the Elantrian magic?

Brandon Sanderson

Do the monks of Dakhor and Forging suffer from the same [weakness of] distance as the Elantrian magic? Yes they do. It's a little less pronounced in the monks because of certain things they are doing. It is very pronounced for Forging.

source

Edited by RShara