Anime Language???

Snipexe

Anime Language??  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Which Language Do You Watch Your Anime In?

• Raw Japanese
    • Japanese with subtitles
    • English Dub
    • Other (please explain below)

Depends. I can understand Japanese so I'll generally watch brand new works straight up without subtitles. If it's got a dub at the time I pick it up, I'll generally give both a listen to see how they compare and then stick with whichever I like best. If it's something that I've already heard in Japanese and it's just gotten a dub I'll almost always go for the English audio for a fresh experience. This applies to games as well; if I've played it once in Japanese and liked it enough to buy the localized version, I'll always start with the dub if one exists. If I haven't played it before (like with titles that get worldwide release and dubbing to match) I'll try both.tracks as with anime. There's lots of really good dubs out now across the multimedia spectrum.

I'll also occasionally watch/play something I know has a really bad dub if it's of the 'so bad it's good' type, for fun. Case in point, Macross: Do You Remember Love. Or if it's in the wuxia, jidaigeki or kaijuu genres, because I grew up on those dubs. :D

Edited by Weltall

I'm pretty inconsistent nowadays as well.  All else being equal, I think I prefer English dubs: it just makes it a bit easier to watch, and especially if I'm trying to multitask.  And I think I can just appreciate a good dub more than I can appreciate a good sub: since I don't speak Japanese, I can't hear the nuances of Japanese speaking to know if it's natural sounding or not, but I can really appreciate a good dub (FMA, Trigun, especially Steins;Gate)

But as I've gotten into watching seasonal stuff, and with Crunchyroll as my main source for anime, I've been watching a ton of subtitled shows in the last years, so I'm sure I've watched way more subtitled stuff than dubbed stuff at this point.  And it is nice, as I've been studying Japanese.  

Japanese with English subtitles. I've tried some dubs, but even the ones who are considered the best, like FMA, feel off to me. Idk, I feel that the voices rarely match the characters' personalities or faces. Also, they always use the same 6 people to dub EVERY SINGLE ANIME EVER.

• 2 weeks later...