[OB] Nan Balat

Calderis

17 hours ago, WhiteLeeopard said:

Shallan's brothers don't seem the kind capable of having the nerves or self-control to not let it slip or tell it to someone to get out of a tough situation.

They did keep it secret until now, in some pretty harrowing circumstances. Also, families are sometimes remarkably successful in keeping harmful secrets.

Anyway, I don't think that Balat will be a problem. I am among those who believe that he'll be relieved to be away from the influence of whatever Unmade was haunting their family, which, I suspect, also conjured/enhanced his pain that then needed to be assuaged by torturing small animals. Even when the things looked darkest for the brothers and for his betrothed, who became inextricably involved in their desperate business, Balat was content with the knowledge that at least Shallan had a chance to escape and survive. IMHO, he has the maturity to accept the truth about their mother's death without blaming his little sister, and also to understand that even if Lady Davar managed to murder her daughter, Lin's reaction to that would have been unlikely to result in a better situation for himself and his brothers. And that if Shallan didn't become a Radiant and gained the influence she has, their whole family likely would have perished in the Veden Civil War, instead of being spirited away in the nick of time.

Not to mention that there is also the aspect of Balat's betrothed Eylita, who may well be his wife by the time book 4 opens, possibly even a mother of his child. Given that Shallan facilitated that relationship and steered it a bit in the early stages, do we really want her being laden with even more familial guilt, if her brother goes off the deep end and hurts the poor girl? Not IMHO.

Now the twins, and particularly Jushu are another matter entirely. Balat didn't fully trust them and shielded them from the worst news when corresponding with Shallan. Jushu was very resentful of Shallan's preferential treatment after their mother died and even hated her for a time. It also seems that the younger boys were closer to their mother, who had made plans for their futures. Well, Wikim's certainly, but given that Jushu couldn't continue his swordsmanship training, which he had been passionate about, after her death, maybe him too. Wikim didn't voice his displeasure with Shallan, but Lin wouldn't let him escape the abusive household that was driving him into suicidal depression and join the ardentia because he was a "spare" to Balat's heir after Helaran's disappearance, so he also has grounds for discontent. It is the quiet ones that you have to watch. I see potential for problems and heartbreak with these 2. Between Jushu's anger once he learns the truth and him being a degenerate gambler, he'll quickly turn into a huge liability to his sister and possibly even her in-laws.

But yes, Davar family's past is definitely coming to light in Book 4. I don't think that it will be the result of Shallan's brothers blabbing, necessarily, but one way or another it is happening.

• Chaos locked this topic