Total Number of Books

Draginon

This is something I've been thinking of lately. Since the total number of known Mistborn books is totaling 13 do you think Brandon might write three more books to give us the magical number 16? I've been thinking he might since he's always claimed that the main series of the Cosmere are Stormlight, Mistborn and Dragonsteel and to have 16 be big in one way (16 planetary bodies in Roshar, 16 books in Mistborn, 16 Shards in Dragonsteel) would be an interesting connection to have.

27 minutes ago, Draginon said:

This is something I've been thinking of lately. Since the total number of known Mistborn books is totaling 13 do you think Brandon might write three more books to give us the magical number 16? I've been thinking he might since he's always claimed that the main series of the Cosmere are Stormlight, Mistborn and Dragonsteel and to have 16 be big in one way (16 planetary bodies in Roshar, 16 books in Mistborn, 16 Shards in Dragonsteel) would be an interesting connection to have.

While I think it would be cool, I seriously doubt it

I don't find it all that doubtful. If you count Secret History, the Eleventh Metal, and and the Allomancer Jak story, there already are sixteen stories. Or you could just count Secret History, which puts it at fourteen. And Sanderson had said that he considered writing a Hoid-perspective book detailing what he was up to in the original trilogy, and also perhaps a story set to take place in a 1940s-style Scadrial. 13 main books plus Secret History plus Hoid story plus 1940s story does put us at sixteen. Who knows...

Edited by Firerust
Unfinished sentence

@Firerust I'm only counting full novels at this point since a short story, like Eleventh Metal and Allomancer Jak, aren't exactly full books, just stories. I'm hesitant to count Secret History since it's not a novel but it could count if Brandon only does 15 novels

@King Cole It would be cool if he did do it though, like how one of the Stormlight books was close to 1000 and he noticed that he could get it to 1001 because of 10 being important to Roshar.

Well, we already have a WoB indicating SH will have sequels. 

Questioner

The Sovereign...

Brandon Sanderson

Mhm.

Questioner

...has a <nail> in his eye. Which eye is *inaudible*

Brandon Sanderson

I am going to RAFO that one. Just in case.

Questioner

Has Bloody Tan seen the Sovereign?

Brandon Sanderson

*laughs* So... here's the thing-- and this is why I'm RAFO-ing these, it's not because of what you think. I'm RAFO-ing these because these the nature of the Sovereign, and who they call the Sovereign, and these sorts of things is stuff that I want to potentially leave for Secret History 2-- or for [Secret History3, if I write more Secret Histories. So the answers are probably simple, right? And they're not ones that are gonna be mind blowing. But I don't want to lock myself down until I've written those, which is why I'm RAFO-ing most of the questions dealing with this, okay?

*a moment later Brandon overhears continued conversation about Secret History*

So, oh, you were asking it that specific way to not give spoilers to someone here? Yeah, I see what you're doing. I see-- I thought you were trying to wiggle out of me something that you weren't trying to wiggle out of me.

Questioner

Not everyone here has read...

Brandon Sanderson

I get it, I get it. I see what's going on.

Questioner

We're not trying to be that *inaudible*

Brandon Sanderson

Okay, okay. I was misinterpreting the intent of those questions a little bit. Yes, being very tricky. Okay. 

*pauses to sign a book*

So the answer of which spike is it? I can answer that one? *interruption* Or really I can tell you--it's in my notes, and I don't have them, but it's not particularly relevant--it's the opposite side of the one where Death's skull was crushed. 

Questioner

Oh, yes. Yes.

Brandon Sanderson

They would look like mirror images if you saw them.

source

While the numeric symbolism would be entertaining, Brandon isn't exactly beholden to it. He finished up Wheel of Time in three books (fpr a total of fourteen) rather than try to cram it into one book per Robert Jordan's original idea or two books to make it fit the symbolism associated with the number thirteen in-universe. Stormlight Archive was always plotted around ten books while Mistborn was planned around nine and the existence of Era 2 bumping the total number close to sixteen is more or less a happy coincidence. Brandon may well write more books (he's floated the possibility of novels set between Eras 2/3 and 3/4) but I don't think he's going to try and base his decision to write more books based on an arbitrary need to match real-world publications to in-universe symbolism. Or for that matter, to not write additional books if it would put him over that arbitrary number. He'll write the stories he wants to tell and which work out (Apocalypse Guard reminds us that he's perfectly willing to step back from a project if something isn't coming together) but I don't see him forcing a novel he isn't satisfied with just to hit a magic number, or to not write an awesome story because it would be his seventeenth full Mistborn novel.

• Chaos locked this topic