[OB]Cosmere Coincidences

Here I want to discuss coincidences (that meaning potential connections) you notice about the cosmere. For example, could "Kelek's breath" have anything to do with awakening? Please post anything you notice that you think deserves some looking into. I'll start off with the question I already gave: Why is "Kelek's breath" a saying? Is it because he came to Roshar from Nalthis, like Vasher did, or could it be something else, or is it just a saying? "Ash's eyes" means very little, as far as I can tell. Oh, and please warn of any spoilers, because I still haven't finished Well of Ascension and I'm one of those people who doesn't want anything spoiled.

PS. Just to save you a bit of research (or a lot of looking like an idiot), it doesn't have anything to do with the ten essences. (https://coppermind.net/wiki/Ten_Essences) You'll see that Shalash is associated with garnet, whose body focus is blood, not eyes. Kalak is associated with Amethyst, the nails.

Not cosmere, but there was the one Easter egg in the reckoners series that said Mayor Briggs had no personality. Not sure if it was intentional joke or not. 

Welcome by the way. Great to have another studious member join our ranks. 

Also, while I was looking at the ten essences, I remembered that Hoid was once "named for a rock." Specifically, a topaz. The divine attributes of topaz are dependability and resourcefulness. While I can't speak for Hoid's dependability, he is certainly resourceful. The herald associated with topaz is Talenel, and if you recall, Hoid was present when Taln returned from Braize. How much of this is relevant? Please tell me what you think, and point out any other things you think are interesting.

11 minutes ago, RShara said:

This really needs to be moved into Cosmere theories with an OB spoiler tag :)

Well I'd love to do that, but as I'm sure you can tell, I'm very new to this and haven't figured out quite how to navigate the forum, much less move around content between subsections.

3 hours ago, Narcoleptic Axolotl said:

Here I want to discuss coincidences (that meaning potential connections) you notice about the cosmere. For example, could "Kelek's breath" have anything to do with awakening? Please post anything you notice that you think deserves some looking into. I'll start off with the question I already gave: Why is "Kelek's breath" a saying? Is it because he came to Roshar from Nalthis, like Vasher did, or could it be something else, or is it just a saying? "Ash's eyes" means very little, as far as I can tell. Oh, and please warn of any spoilers, because I still haven't finished Well of Ascension and I'm one of those people who doesn't want anything spoiled.

None of the Heralds are from Nalthis, and they pre-date the Returned by several thousand years, alas. 

Questioner

And then the curse Kelek’s Breath, is that a clue as to the origin of some of the Heralds?

Brandon Sanderson

Erm… Explain why you think it might be.

Questioner

Uh, well, Warbreaker. The use of Breath… It seems like they have similar strength to somebody who has extra Endowment. So I’m wondering if they come from-- I can’t remember the name..

Brandon Sanderson

The Heralds--  You’re wondering if the Heralds come from Nalthis?

Questioner

Yeah.

Brandon Sanderson

The Heralds do not come from Nalthis, but that is an excellent question.

source

There's also the similarity between the shash brand and the letter shash that Suri teaches Suse first.  But Brandon's said that's just a coincidence too :(

21 hours ago, RShara said:

Now that we're in the right forum, what books have you read, so that we don't spoil ya?

Who, me? Okay. I've read all the Stormlight Archive stuff, including Edgedancer, I read Warbreaker and Mistborn 1. Right now I'm working on Mistborn 2 and next in line is Elantris. I still haven't read any White Sand books or Nightblood. Anything I didn't name here, assume I haven't read. 

btw Thanks for answering that question. I wasn't the first to spot that, but Brandon himself said it's a good question, so that's a victory.

Edited by Narcoleptic Axolotl

I know that there is a WoB on this (RShara don't kill me), but I found it odd the first time I read Warbreaker and the only letter ever mentioned was Shash (One of Kaladin's slave brands, meaning dangerous)

Another one with a WoB, but Aon Ati and Aon Ashe (Not sure if there's a WoB about Aon Ashe, but I'm pretty sure there is)

I  can't think of anymore glaringly obvious ones ATM but I may come back later

• Chaos locked this topic