[OB] Chickens

SamsonSeaBorn

Question

Spoiler

In oathbringer Mraize had a very peculiar chicken sitting on his shoulder. Anyone know if this is a parot from roshar or an aviar or from nalthis since Vivenna made an appearance and Brandon  showed the cognitive Silk Road. Just wondering because I have a theory that after escaping Roshar, Rayse makes a landing on a small island on a distant world which caused horrible monsters with a craving for cognitive minds to spawn. After this recovery period Odium leaves but this is the reason the people from the sky go to this world only to find an amazing gift the aviar. But that’s only if it’s a parot from Roshar or Nalthis. If it is an aviar well there goes that

10 answers to this question

1 hour ago, SamsonSeaBorn said:

Next big question then. Why does Mraize need to hide his presence on Roshar to that extreme.

You're assuming that Mraize's Aviar has the same talent of hiding Cognitive presence as Kokerlii. We don't know what talent Mraize's bird might have, but since the talents we do know of are similar to other magic systems we can imagine various other talents working in similar manners. Perhaps Mraize's bird can sense Innate Investiture (like a surgebinder who isn't actively surgebinding, or a feruchemist who isn't currently storing/tapping power) which would be incredibly handy, or even one that could just sense Kinetic Investiture since that would enable him to do things like detect Lightweaving and probably Smokeform, assuming that's what we saw in the Gem Repository. Maybe he's got one with a talent more like Sak that can sense potential danger via Fortune manipulation, or one that functions like Dilaf's anti-Aon power and disrupts direct applications of Investiture. There's a ton of potential things that Aviar could be doing other than just hiding his mind.

However, even assuming that Mraize's bird serves the exact same function as Kokerlii, there are still a couple of ways that could be useful. First, it would potentially let him approach people like Hoid or Nalthian worldhoppers without magically alerting them to his presence. Mraize strikes me as the type who will take any advantage he can get, and throwing someone off by being invisible to one of their extra senses could have situational uses. Given the various forms of mental manipulation in the Cosmere, being able to hide one's mind could also be handy generally. We've seen the Unmade get inside people's heads and that's the sort of thing Kokerlii might be helpful with.

Of course, given some of the other things Mraize has in this trophy collection (at least one of which Brandon has confirmed is only a trophy and can't be used by Mraize) it's also possible he's not carrying this Aviar around for any immediate purpose and just wanted to show off to any Cosmere-aware folks he might run into. Though it's rather more likely that whatever talent the Aviar grants, it's something functional.

Edited by Weltall

8 minutes ago, Weltall said:

You're assuming that Mraize's Aviar has the same talent of hiding Cognitive presence as Kokerlii. We don't know what talent Mraize's bird might have, but since the talents we do know of are similar to other magic systems we can imagine various other talents working in similar manners. Perhaps Mraize's bird can sense Innate Investiture (like a surgebinder who isn't actively surgebinding, or a feruchemist who isn't currently storing/tapping power) which would be incredibly handy, or even one that could just sense Kinetic Investiture since that would enable him to do things like detect Lightweaving and probably Smokeform, assuming that's what we saw in the Gem Repository. Maybe he's got one with a talent more like Sak that can sense potential danger via Fortune manipulation, or one that functions like Dilaf's anti-Aon power and disrupts direct applications of Investiture. There's a ton of potential things that Aviar could be doing other than just hiding his mind.

However, even assuming that Mraize's bird serves the exact same function as Kokerlii, there are still a couple of ways that could be useful. First, it would potentially let him approach people like Hoid or Nalthian worldhoppers without magically alerting them to his presence. Mraize strikes me as the type who will take any advantage he can get, and throwing someone off by being invisible to one of their extra senses could have situational uses. Given the various forms of mental manipulation in the Cosmere, being able to hide one's mind could also be handy generally. We've seen the Unmade get inside people's heads and that's the sort of thing Kokerlii might be helpful with.

Of course, given some of the other things Mraize has in this trophy collection (at least one of which Brandon has confirmed is only a trophy and can't be used by Mraize) it's also possible he's not carrying this Aviar around for any immediate purpose and just wanted to show off to any Cosmere-aware folks he might run into. Though it's rather more likely that whatever talent the Aviar grants, it's something functional.

I only presume his Aviar is the mind hiding kind because I now believe Sixth of the Dusk happens at a later period and the most common aviar for the more primitive sea faring folk would be the mind shading ones.

Mraize doesn’t strike me as the type to have pomp and flair with out a practical and expedient purpose. Also I don’t think the ghost bloods would purposely draw that kind of attention to themselves. 

If his Aviar does have let’s say the talent to nullify investiture that would be extremely useful if trying to acquire a hotly contested shard. Lots of ifs...lots of waiting to see if questions ever get fully answered 

On 11.3.2018 at 11:02 PM, SamsonSeaBorn said:

I only presume his Aviar is the mind hiding kind because I now believe Sixth of the Dusk happens at a later period and the most common aviar for the more primitive sea faring folk would be the mind shading ones.

But as far as we have seen, mind-sensing predators live exclusively around and on the Pantheon isles where only trappers visit, so the demand for Aviar back on the home archipelago must be fueled by the varieties that bestow other abilities. Though, now that I think about it, I wonder how those other Aviar types are even able to survive in their deadly home environment without the mind-protection.

1 hour ago, Isilel said:

But as far as we have seen, mind-sensing predators live exclusively around and on the Pantheon isles where only trappers visit, so the demand for Aviar back on the home archipelago must be fueled by the varieties that bestow other abilities. Though, now that I think about it, I wonder how those other Aviar types are even able to survive in their deadly home environment without the mind-protection.

Hanging around Aviars that have protection might increase chances of survival. 

9 hours ago, Isilel said:

Maybe but you have to remember that the early tribal people from the home archipelago depended on wayfarers and the wayfarers depended on trappers to provide mind hiding Aviar . The point in time in which Mraize gets his Aviar would have been in the more tribal days. Also that’s irrelevant because the perpendicularly was on patji right where the densest cluster of patji’s finger grew and where the Aviars flock to. Why risk the dangers of the island when you walk out of the perp into a gold mine.

Edited by SamsonSeaBorn

Mraize strikes me as the type who would deliberately seek out a rare Aviar for rarity's sake, possibly even going to a trapper's camp to take one from there because it's harder than just grabbing one from Patji's Eye. But as you've noted, the place where the Aviar get their tallents is the Perpendicularity so it really doesn't matter what types of birds are in-demand on the mainland or in common use among the islanders and we can't use the assumed timeline as an infallable guide to what sort of power Mraize's Aviar has.