[OB] Where is Kalak?

MechaBiollante

I guarantee I'm a fool for thinking this hasn't been discussed by you guys but we clearly know who some of the ten heralds are still existing but where is Kalak, the one who got a POV at the start of the franchise? Do you think that he's taken so long to be revealed has to do with the fact that he was the POV character for that prelude? 

Bonus question for you guys, is anyone in the books so far a willshaper? 

By process of elimination he has to be the companion to Nale at the Prologue feast. 

5 male Heralds. We know where Taln and Nale are, Jezrien is dead, and Ishar is Tezim. 

That leaves one male Herald, and the things that Nale's companion says in Jasnah's Prologue heavily imply that man is a Herald. 

10 minutes ago, Calderis said:

By process of elimination he has to be the companion to Nale at the Prologue feast. 

5 male Heralds. We know where Taln and Nale are, Jezrien is dead, and Ishar is Tezim. 

That leaves one male Herald, and the things that Nale's companion says in Jasnah's Prologue heavily imply that man is a Herald. 

Now I have to read that prologue again, without doing so did he seem like he'd be one of the sane ones? What do you guys think of Jezrien's end? Also should I have known who Jezrien was prior to that last scene, was he in the books being crazy and I just overlooked it? 

10 minutes ago, MechaBiollante said:

Now I have to read that prologue again, without doing so did he seem like he'd be one of the sane ones? What do you guys think of Jezrien's end? Also should I have known who Jezrien was prior to that last scene, was he in the books being crazy and I just overlooked it? 

None of the Heralds are sane, their mental issues just present in different ways. 

CCQ

I just read Edgedancer. I was just wondering... Did Ishar deceive Nalan on purpose or was he just wrong-- he had wrong information?

Brandon Sanderson

All the Heralds are insane.

CCQ

Okay.

Brandon Sanderson

It manifests in different ways. Do not trust anything any Herald says. Ever.

CCQ

Okay.

Brandon Sanderson

Nale trusts Ishar too much.

CCQ

Okay, but so did he do it on purpose, or...?

Brandon Sanderson

Um... So "on purpose" is a difficult thing when you're referring to someone with the psychology that Ishar has.

CCQ

Did he know what it was-- that it was a lie?

Brandon Sanderson

*sighs* Alright, I'll RAFO that until I get to him, but the answer is kind of a yes and a no. Okay? So there is part of him that knows and there is part of him that doesn't want to believe it. And yet the things he's been doing lately in Roshar are done because he knows what's coming.

source

As to Jezrien, there was speculation, based mainly off of his, "have you seen me?" in the Szeth Prologue right next to the statues. It wasn't a universally believed theory though. 

14 minutes ago, MechaBiollante said:

So in the first prologue that was Jezrien? Also can you explain this Edgedancer stuff more in depth? Is this something else I didn't read? lol

Whoa... Yes there is a novella named Edgedancer from Lifts PoV in the collection Arcanum Unbounded, and also sold as a stand alone set in the a city of Yeddaw in Tashik. That happens around the ending of WoR to a around a week after. 

It's not necessary to understand the main story, but it is a part of the Stormlight story, with more info on Lift and Nale. 

Edited by Calderis

13 minutes ago, MechaBiollante said:

Also can you explain this Edgedancer stuff more in depth? Is this something else I didn't read? lol

Edgedancer was a (novella?) that was part of Arcanum Unbounded, along with Mistborn Secret History, Emperor's Soul, and others. It's a pretty short story, but it's extra worldbuilding/backstory

And Calderis just replied.. serves me right for trying to make sure novella was the right word :)

7 hours ago, MechaBiollante said:

So in the first prologue that was Jezrien?

Yes, it was Jezrien. As Calderis stated:

7 hours ago, Calderis said:

As to Jezrien, there was speculation, based mainly off of his, "have you seen me?" in the Szeth Prologue right next to the statues. It wasn't a universally believed theory though. 

To give further context to this (at least from my perspective), "have you seen me?" is associated with a campaign to find lost children in the U.S.  Many people similar in age to Sanderson remember this from milk cartons at school or at home.  Therefore, going straight in the epilogue from "have you seen me?" to Szeth looking at the busts of the Heralds seemed like a clue.  Here is an example:

Image result for have you seen me milk carton

Kalak is most likely the guy hanging out with Nale on Gavilars party. I think he is seen in both Szeth and Jasnahs prologues.

Jezrien was seen in Szeths prologue, and then again in one of Dalinars flashback chapters. 

I personally found Jezriens death pretty cool. It was a shocker, and set up a bunch of big questions. It also felt like a real loss, despite the fact that we never knew Jezrien at all.

16 hours ago, Calderis said:

Why are you so sure that Nale’s companion isn’t Ishar?

2 hours ago, Mage of Lirigon said:

Why are you so sure that Nale’s companion isn’t Ishar?

As Digitalbusker said, Nale's treatment of the man was not exactly respectful. I also think it would have drawn a little more attention if the ruler of Tukar had traveled all the way to the east of Roshar. 

• Chaos locked this topic