Hoid questions (Spoilers)

ranstang94

Technically, it's possible that Kaladin just didn't notice anything because prisons are not terribly colorful. I am not quite grasping at straws yet, but I admit there are flaws with the idea.

Vasher clearly had breathes during his interlude. He was able to sense Kaladin before he even got to his door. What heightening is that? I don't recall how life-sense grows with breathes. Would he have needed enough breathes to bend colors around him in order to feel Kal outside his door?

I think "life sense" is just a passive perk whose strength is a function of the number of Breaths you have. The more Breaths, the stronger your ability to sense people.

Warbreaker Spoilers

Vasher's Divine Breath alone is probably strong enough to allow him to sense distinct people around him.

Edited by Argent

Warbreaker Spoilers:

I think "life sense" is just a passive perk whose strength is a function of the number of Breaths you have. The more Breaths, the stronger your ability to sense people. Vasher's Divine Breath alone is probably strong enough to allow him to sense distinct people around him.

The Divine breath is certainly enough to give him a powerful life-sense. Or at least equal to whatever the life-sense is for normal people around the 5th heightening. So new question: Does a suppressed divine breath provide the same benefits? Or do those go away while it is being suppressed? Vasher's dinvine beath is almost certainly suppressed here otherwise they would probably already be mistaking him for a radiant.

Edited by Galavantes

You should mark those Warbreaker Spoilers, Argent.

Recall, though, that Vasher's Divine Breath doesn't appear to have any "Heighteny" effect when its not manifest. He doesn't glow, he doesn't get the color-sense, nada. So I doubt that the one and only "normal" benefit of holding Breath that a suppressed Divine Breath gives is lifesense.

EDIT: Ninja'd. The Spoiler warning goes for you too, Galvantes.

@Kurk, fixed, thank you. 

Warbreaker Spoilers

You are not entire correct about the Divine Breath not granting any of the normal effects from the first five Heightenings. Off the top of my head, Lightsong has the "perfect color pitch," so he pretty much has to have the perfect pitch too. And life sense is not really a specific Heightening perk.

@Galavantes, [ spoiler ] Spoilery text goes here. [ /spoiler ], without the extra spaces inside the brackets. You should also hide the post where you ask for it (the button is to the left of the [MultiQuote] and

buttons, just so we don't clutter the threads.
Edited by Argent

What would happen if Hoid invested his breaths into Lerasium and then ingested / compounded the result?

Is that possible?

I don't see how that would work, unless there is a feruchemical way to store them after he burned it...if he even could burn it. I honestly dont think breath works like that. not that I am an expert or anything.

I don't see how that would work, unless there is a feruchemical way to store them after he burned it...if he even could burn it. I honestly dont think breath works like that. not that I am an expert or anything.

If it were possible, and I'm not advocating one way or another, there wouldn't need to be a feruchemical storage.

The only reason you need a feruchemical storage after standard compounding is that your body can only contain so much and any excess is used immediately. But Breaths can be stored indefinitely with no repercussions. In fact you wouldn't even need to store it in lerasium. Any metal would compound breaths into an infinite feedback loop. 1 becomes 10. 10 becomes 100. Etc etc.

this is something Hoid would do so he could have even more abilities, though we should try to ask Brandon or Peter if it is possible to store the breaths in lerasium and if it would would work if he burned though [ spoiler ] brandon said something along the lines that Nightblood was able to work as something like an honorblade i can not find the quote it is in some Q and A so 2 different types of investure could work together and maybe change. [ /spoiler ]

that is interesting, that makes me wonder if stormlight can be compounded too....

Don't spheres count as compounding? They are more of a storage, though. Breath and stormlight seem different enough. Surgebinders and Radiants aren't know for being able to sense other people or other surgebinders, though there might be a surge allowing this imo. Seems like a reoccurring motif in Cosmere worlds, though I haven't read all novels so may be I'm wrong.

well if it is possible to compound breath then it may be possible to compound stormlight then re-infuse a gemstone. this would be useful especially now with Stormlight being short supply

Maybe that is whats in that dark sphere that Gavilar had. Perhaps its something Wit gave him to gain power to win the battle to come? Personally I think that it was a voidspren in the sphere, but it seems to be more important than a simple Spren that a parshendi would need to change to shadowform or something like that.

Hello everyone, I have read the forum for a long time now, but this is my first time posting.

I know that a number of people have suggested that the powder that Hoid pours into his drink was bronze in order to sense Shallan. I tend to agree with this theory, but have been considering the possibility that it was actually copper. Since it has been said that a coppercloud could block one from sensing magic non-native to Scaladrial I was thinking that perhaps Hoid was burning copper in order to prevent being sensed by anyone.  Later in the book Hoid tells Dalinar that he has to be careful not to be found by Odium:  "I cannot risk too much, because if he finds me, then I become nothing--a soul shredded and broken into pieces that cannot be reassembled. What I do here is more dangerous than you could ever know." I am not sure if a coppercloud would be enough to prevent being sensed by something as powerful as  Shardholder, but I thought that this may be a possibility.

Alternatively, we also know that Hoid is being pursued by members of the Seventeenth Shard whom he easily manages to elude. I was thinking that it is possible that at least one of the members trying to track him has abilities similar to that of  seeker in which case burning copper would be useful. 

While I still agree with others that the powder was most likely bronze I thought that this was a reasonable alternative worth consideration.

That's a good point, but I doubt he'd burn copper to hide form Odium. Even Vin could pierce a coppercloud with a bit or hemalurgic help, so I doubt Odium would have a problem. I'd say it's way more likely that he'd try to hide from the 17th shard.

I doubt he would even need bronze on Roshar, as stormlight becomes pretty obvious when used.

after what happened during that flashback, I still think he was messing with the emotions of both Shallan, her brother and her dad. Shallan and her brother both made very important emotional leaps then, It started them on the road to recovery...but this is just my impression.