[OB] Parshendi/Singer Characters

Am I the only one who doesn´t really feel that the Parshendi are engaging as characters? Eshonai wasn´t very fun, and Venli is not that much better, in my opinion. And otherwise, we don´t really have any major ones. I guess Lewishi could count, but she is mostly a plot-device right now. Anyone who likes the Parshendi characters? And do you think we will get more potentially interesting singers as important characters in future books? 

Edited by Greywatch
Added [OB] because it was missing.

Rlain I think is the best so far, but he's just starting to get developed. I actively disliked Venli prior to OB, but she's starting to get a real arc so that could be interesting. I still have my doubts about how interesting book 4 being heavy on Singer/Listener flashbacks will be. But there's at least a lot more to go on now than there was prior to OB, so keeping an open mind. 

I think we haven't really had enough PoV from them to say what they're going to be like.  The Listeners are one of the big mysteries on Roshar right now, though, so I'm looking forward to learning more about them.

I loved Eshonai, particularly after her OB prologue and her having been so unceremoniously disposed off made me sad. I like Venli and I am very interested in what her PoVs have and hopefully will be showing us. I do feel that Dalinar, Venli and Szeth all being repentant mass-murderers is a bit of an overkill and cheapens the notion of redemption. But of the 2 of them who aren't main characters, Szeth is the bigger problem for me in that respect.

Rlain is, unfortunately, a bit of a blank slateso far, though his circumstances are full of potential for great development. His PoVs also need to feel more different from human ones. Eshonai's and Venli's convey their alienness better, IMHO.

I can't wait to see listener culture and history fleshed out more through Eshonai's flashbacks and, hopefully, Rlain's discovery of Thude's group of survivors and perhaps even rescue of remaining stormforms from the Fused body-snatching.

• Chaos locked this topic