[OB] Spren thoughts and favorites?

The Night Watcher

1. Syl - cute, reminds me of my neighbors' daughter, Kathy. Confused about her weird Honorspren-windspren persona shift thing, though.

2. Pattern - oh my God, he's adorable his first few months when he appears to Shallan (and Jasnah calls him imbecilic), even better now making awkward for Shallan and Adolin. My favorite bean.

3. Ivory - I really like him for some reason, specially that weird speech pattern he's got going. He's like there posh British man of spren.

4. Glys - he's...shy? Nonexistent? Hates the cold and hides in Renarin's shirt to keep warm, while consequentially keeping himself from view? Honestly don't know anything about him, but I am obliged to love him because he's a spren.

5. Wyndle - dry like wine. 

6. Stormfather - let's be honest. He's a priss.

P.S. Syl is my favorite.

What are your thoughts on the spren?

@The Night Watcher First, I would like to say could you please add [OB] to the title of this thread? You can do this by editing the first post. Even though this is in the OB spoilers section of the forum, the forum rules require you to put [OB] in the title.

1-Syl's awesome. Not much else to say. Though I am curious what about the honorspren/windspren thing confuses you. Windspren are the subspren of honorspren, so it's not that surprising she can act like one. 

2-Pattern's amazing. 'Nuff said. 

3-Ivory's okay. We haven't seen enough of him for me to really get a good opinion of him. 

4-Same for Glys. 

5-I'm not sure if you mean that Wyndle is dry as in he's boring to read or just dry in general, but if you mean the former then I have to strongly disagree. I feel like Wyndle is kind of like the C3PO or Sazed for Lift. They're someone serious to counteract the foolishness/silliness of the PoV character, and in turn seem funny because of the way they are portrayed. I probably wouldn't like Wyndle if I saw him irl, but he's hilarious to read. 

6-I'm not sure what you meant to say about the Stormfather. Did you mean he's a prick? If not, what is a priss?

7-I can't wait to see more of Spark. It'll be nice to finally see what some other spren besides those of main characters think. Plus, it's always cool to see the perspective of the "villains." 

8-I can't wait to see tons of other spren. I just really want to see what the Stoneward spren are like. I also want to know whether the mistspren from the honorspren ship are Truthwatcherspren or not (I don't think they are, but I don't know why else they would seem so sapient). 

• Greywatch changed the title to [OB] Spren thoughts and favorites?

@StrikerEZ woops, new to forums, so thanks for that.

So...few things.

With Syl... Well, I know windspren are similar to honorspren, but I don't see much distinction between them?? If Syl hadn't appeared as the full-sized woman and told Kal she was, I'd have no idea -- and Kal was surprised too. So...how does that work exactly?

With Wyndle, I was referring to his wit. No, his character is not dry at all. 

And "priss"... Well. Remember in primary school those kids that turned their noses up at you in the cafeteria, and they just sat together in their little highbrow huddles, glaring at you while they stuff food in their mouths like they were three weeks starved? Those kids were "prissy." Stormfather's like that. If he got gum on his shoe, he'd "ew."

Syl - She isn't just my favorite spren, she is one of my favorite characters period.  Saved Kaladin's life more times than you can count still gets excited at rocks. WOW!

Pattern - Perfectly awkward! Goes so well with Shallan

Timbre - New but love how she connected with Venli

Wyndle - Lifts whimpy/lame sidekick whose awesome!

So to me the trick to the spren is how their personalities work on screen with their partners.  Which is why I didn't pick Glys or Ivory, I haven't felt the chemisty with Renarin and Jasnah.  The Stormfather is a different animal too much of a plot device, Its like reading Odyssey and saying Zeus is your favorite.  I do love the conversations between Stormfather and Dalinar but its not the same kind of bond or friendship that you see with the others. 

20 hours ago, The Night Watcher said:

@StrikerEZ woops, new to forums, so thanks for that.

So...few things.

With Syl... Well, I know windspren are similar to honorspren, but I don't see much distinction between them?? If Syl hadn't appeared as the full-sized woman and told Kal she was, I'd have no idea -- and Kal was surprised too. So...how does that work exactly?

With Wyndle, I was referring to his wit. No, his character is not dry at all. 

And "priss"... Well. Remember in primary school those kids that turned their noses up at you in the cafeteria, and they just sat together in their little highbrow huddles, glaring at you while they stuff food in their mouths like they were three weeks starved? Those kids were "prissy." Stormfather's like that. If he got gum on his shoe, he'd "ew."

I think the connection between the honorspren and windspren is just that they're the connected. It's highly likely that the reason they're connected is that when Adonalsium was shattered, most of their Investiture was both assigned to Honor, and they're made up of similar amounts of different Shards' Investiture. Honestly, I don't know why they're so connected. That'd be a good question to ask Brandon: Why are windspren the lesser spren to honorspren? And what connects lesser spren to the true spren?

Ah, okay, that makes sense. I can definitely see that now. 

Also, I can't believe I forgot about Timbre. Timbre is definitely my favorite spren at this point. The Venli Interludes were some of my favorite parts of the book, and Timbre was a huge part of that. I'm so excited to see more of her since the next book is Eshonai's flashbook book, which probably means Venli will be the focus for the book. 

Pattern is hilarious, and one of my favorite SA characters. NO MATING is fantastic.

Wyndle is cool as well, and I like how he interacts with Lift. The comparision between him and C-3PO was spot on. 

Syl is good at times. At times she is just immature and self-absorbed. I have a hard time liking her at times, because she seems a bit full of herself.

On December 31, 2017 at 8:45 AM, The Night Watcher said:

@Mutantspicy  @StrikerEZ

Okay... I'm worried. I remember Timbre with Eshonai, but I totally don't know anything about her meetings with Venli. Could you guys tell me when that happens??

Have you finished Oathbringer? If not, then you should not be reading this topic.

If so, then I don't know why you're confused. I'm gonna wait to explain until after you tell me if you've finished OB or not.

I do rather like the newest addition to the Spren stables - Timbre. The name is fitting too, since it is a musical term, and he/she is bonded to a Listener.

That said, Syl is awesome, Wyndle is awesome (although a bit less so than Syl), Ivory is pretty cool, although we've not really seen enough of him. Same with Glys.

My favourite though, is Pattern. Not just for 'NO MATING!' but because trying to work out the various interactions of the physical realm make him so funny.

As a side note, I do like how the Honourspren, spren of oaths and bonds, are also known as the spren practical jokers. What, precisely, is honourable about tricking an ardent into drinking something that will dye his tongue blue?

9 hours ago, Bort said:

I do rather like the newest addition to the Spren stables - Timbre. The name is fitting too, since it is a musical term, and he/she is bonded to a Listener.

That said, Syl is awesome, Wyndle is awesome (although a bit less so than Syl), Ivory is pretty cool, although we've not really seen enough of him. Same with Glys.

My favourite though, is Pattern. Not just for 'NO MATING!' but because trying to work out the various interactions of the physical realm make him so funny.

As a side note, I do like how the Honourspren, spren of oaths and bonds, are also known as the spren practical jokers. What, precisely, is honourable about tricking an ardent into drinking something that will dye his tongue blue?

(emphasis mine)

That's the thing that confuses me about the association between Windspren and Honorspren, too. It really feels like Honorspren and Windspren are related because that's implied by the surgebinding chart, not because it makes sense. Although I do think that Syl is probably more mischievous than the average Honorspren (particularly on days where she feels especially capricious).

And Timbre is probably Captain Ico's daughter, therefore a she. (She tells Venli her grandfather was killed in the Recreance, Captain Ico carrys his deadeye father around and he says his daughter ran off chasing foolish dreams.)

On 1/2/2018 at 6:59 PM, digitalbusker said:

That's the thing that confuses me about the association between Windspren and Honorspren, too. It really feels like Honorspren and Windspren are related because that's implied by the surgebinding chart, not because it makes sense. 

Yep. Couldn't have said it better. Always had trouble seeing the connection between them.

• Chaos locked this topic