[OB]Hoid and the Gem

echaozh

Why was Hoid named the Bearer of the First Gem? What is the First Gem? Is it part of the weapon they used to shatter Adonalsium? Perhaps they captured investitures of Adolnasium with, say 16 gems, and Hoid actually held the first, being the first to go near the omnipotent being to give the first strike?

Guest Procrastinationspren

I'm not the most knowledgeable here, but some people in the forums think that it is related with Topaz (which is one of Hoid's aliases).

We don't really have any information on this yet.  It probably is the same gem he talks about to Kaladin, that "became worthless for his wearing it."  I'm sure we'll find out eventually.  I doubt it has anything specific to do with Roshar, though.

“I’ve many.” The man shook Kaladin’s hand. “I began life as a thought, a concept, words on a page. That was another thing I stole. Myself. Another time, I was named for a rock.”

“A pretty one, I hope.”

“A beautiful one,” the man said. “And one that became completely worthless for my wearing it.”

10 minutes ago, RShara said:

I doubt it has anything specific to do with Roshar, though.

It will be really interesting to see but I bet it will have as much to do with Roshar as Yolen Lightweaving has to do with Roshar Lightweaving. Makes me wonder what was stored in that gem and what can be stored in gems cosmere wide.

• 3 months later...

Sorry if this has been discussed already (or debunked), but I am new here and had a theory I wanted to share and see what you all think.  This seemed like the right post  

Oathbringer showed us that a perfect gemstone can trap one of the unmade. Now we know that Hoid has a topaz and that it was completely worthless for Hoid wearing it. 

What if Andolsium’s essence or mind is trapped in the first gem and Hoid was getting knowledge either by directly talking to Andolsium or by absorbing his knowledge indirectly? It makes sense that this would kill the body whereby shards could be created and split amongst the original vessels. When Hoid wore the first gem he took as much knowledge as he could from Andolsium and that’s why he’s out to save the world. He has a connection to Andolsium and wants to negate the destruction that Odium or one of Andolsium’s other shards wreaks upon the cosmere. 

5 hours ago, Choede said:

Sorry if this has been discussed already (or debunked), but I am new here and had a theory I wanted to share and see what you all think.  This seemed like the right post  

Oathbringer showed us that a perfect gemstone can trap one of the unmade. Now we know that Hoid has a topaz and that it was completely worthless for Hoid wearing it. 

What if Andolsium’s essence or mind is trapped in the first gem and Hoid was getting knowledge either by directly talking to Andolsium or by absorbing his knowledge indirectly? It makes sense that this would kill the body whereby shards could be created and split amongst the original vessels. When Hoid wore the first gem he took as much knowledge as he could from Andolsium and that’s why he’s out to save the world. He has a connection to Andolsium and wants to negate the destruction that Odium or one of Andolsium’s other shards wreaks upon the cosmere. 

Good theory but I dont know how it would fit with what I think I read somewhere that 16 people decided to kill Andolsium because they think it was their only option. But storms! I forget where I have seen it.

On 12/14/2017 at 8:49 AM, MonsterMetroid said:

It will be really interesting to see but I bet it will have as much to do with Roshar as Yolen Lightweaving has to do with Roshar Lightweaving. Makes me wonder what was stored in that gem and what can be stored in gems cosmere wide.

We don't know that anything was necessarily stored in the gem, as a Rosharan would understand it. We know that one of Hoid's many aliases was Topaz and it's in reference to the gem he wore. Per Frost's letter in WoR, the gem is now 'dead'. It apparently had some mystical properites but that doesn't mean it operated on the same principles as Rosharan gems.

The link between Rosharan and Yolish Lightweaving is that the former is extremely similar to the latter (which is the 'original' version) and this is of interest to Khriss from an academic perspective. It doesn't have to be any deeper than that. Brandon has repeatedly mentioned that all his magic systems operate on the same principals so overlap between them is to be expected. For example, all forms of future-sight use the same mechanic (Fortune) and Brandon has said that all illusion magic in the Cosmere works on the same principles.

Right now Liar of Partinel [an unpublished book —ed] and Stormlight Archive share a magic system, because with the unifying theory of magic there's a certain number of things that magic can do, and there's a lot of different ones, but when they get similar they tend to work in the same way. So Lightweaving shows up in both books. I may change that for Liar of Partinel, but it's kind of integral to that book and it's kind of integral to Stormlight Archive right now too. This is one of the reasons why I had to decide to do either Dragonsteel or Stormlight Archive as the big epic.

Some of the magic systems have been discovered on different planets, and some of them do work. A lot of them don't, but some of them do. It depends on your spiritual DNA, what people are able to do, and things like that. But, if you find a way to do illusion magic in one of my worlds it's going to work pretty much like Lightweaving, regardless of which planet you're on. If that makes sense.

Source

6 hours ago, Weltall said:

We don't know that anything was necessarily stored in the gem, as a Rosharan would understand it. We know that one of Hoid's many aliases was Topaz and it's in reference to the gem he wore. Per Frost's letter in WoR, the gem is now 'dead'. It apparently had some mystical properites but that doesn't mean it operated on the same principles as Rosharan gems.

IIRC there is WoB that Roshar was created by Adolnasium so storing in a gem can be from him and not related to Roshar.

• Chaos locked this topic