[OB] My Small and Insignificant Problem With OB

MistbornAlpaca

There's a scene in part 3 of OB from Kaladin's POV, where he, Elhokar, and Adolin (Possibly Shallan, I don't remember) are sitting in a tavern in Kholinar. Kaladin notices a small cremling with an odd tan pattern on its back, and remarks about how he wishes the tavern owner could at least keep the place clean.

If you've read Edgedancer, you probably thought, "Oh my gosh! The sleepless have arrived!"

I know I did, and I was really hoping they would play a part in the climax, but after that scene, there are absolutely No Sleepless!

It's not a huge problem, just a little bit of a shattered expectation that bugged me. Anyone else feel like this?

They will probably be a main driving force as the story moves along. They, along with the Ghostbloods are the two big mysterious groups with heaps of exciting lore left unexplored. We will probably get more in book 4. OB didn't really have a place for them, since the focus was on the Voidbringers, Unmade and spren.

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Ookla the Obtuse said:

Reread TWoK and WoR, I think you'll be very surprised to find not that they've arrived, but that they've been watching the whole time. :ph34r:

Yeah this. The epilogue of WoR mad me laugh so hard first time I noticed it haha with Wit's comment about Intelligent life.

On 12/10/2017 at 9:44 AM, NotBurtReynolds said:

I see it as just another breadcrumb reminder that the Sleepless are very important and possibly anywhere and everywhere. I think that their arc and place in Stormlight is going to be given to us in tiny drips that will drive us all insane with anticipation.

There's 10 books. Something has to be left for the back 5.

On 12/10/2017 at 9:55 AM, Toaster Retribution said:

They will probably be a main driving force as the story moves along. They, along with the Ghostbloods are the two big mysterious groups with heaps of exciting lore left unexplored.

I'd expect the Ghostbloods to get more screen time in books 4 and 5. Certainly much more than the Sleepless, because we actually have some significant interactions with the Ghostbloods.

Seriously, there's no way you can write an epic fantasy series unless you constantly escalate your problems. I see the Sleepless as something that's going to be a big deal later in the series, but isn't important just yet. Maybe by the end of book 5, maybe in book 6. I would expect other mysteries (Dawnshards?) to take up more pages in the much later books, and more mysteries that we're not really aware of to start cropping up.

I spent the entire book jumping at every mention of a cremling only to have one appear and poison the crew of a ship that got too close to whatever they are protecting. It is also rather disturbing to think that every time someone eats a cremling it might be part of the sleepless, I really hope they don't hold grudges. 

On 12/19/2017 at 3:26 PM, John203 said:

Kaladin sees one in his slave wagon, one in his jail cell, and Veil sees Mraize kill one with a blow dart.

I am assuming that Mraize was intentionally killing an aspect of a sleepless that was spying on him. Are all cremlings part of a Sleepless? Or are some just, well, bugs?

• Chaos locked this topic