[ob] squires

taveren

do you guys think that squires were originally just general squires until a particular orders spren liked you instead of being a squire for only one order? seems like a better way to do it since

you might like windrunners but be a stoneward at heart. with only being a squire to one order i could see them getting stuck at low ideals that they didn't truly fit

Don't you think that the right spren would find them, no matter what? Do you think an honorspren would really bond a stoneward in the first place? Though it does seem strange that all of Bridge Four seems to be developing into Windrunners... 

Maybe if you have KR potential, you can be a squire for any order and pick up some of their powers, but you will not be able to bond a spren unless you really fit in. I suppose likely candidates were taken to Urithiru where they would be exposed to all of the orders and their spren, which would make it easier to find the right order and bond.

On 12/2/2017 at 11:16 PM, taveren said:

do you guys think that squires were originally just general squires until a particular orders spren liked you instead of being a squire for only one order? seems like a better way to do it since you might like Windrunners but be a Stoneward at heart. with only being a squire to one order i could see them getting stuck at low ideals that they didn't truly fit

I always looked at it as Squires were Squires to a Radiant, rather than to an Order. Bridge 4 are/were connected to Kaladin, rather than the Windrunners, after all. I personally don't think there is such a thing as a "general squire."

Squiring to a Windrunner will make you more likely to be a Windrunner, through association and through them influencing your lifestyle. But if you are a Stoneward at heart, you will start to exemplify that in your actions, and a Stoneward Spren will see that an find you. I agree with Evendale(again) about taking the Squires to Urithiru.

An existing KR gives the Spren a beachhead to look around the Physical Realm, and that means the people around that KR are examined as candidates. This applies to family members, so why not squires too? Bridge 4 may as well be Kaladin's "family" during his time in the Warcamps.

• Chaos locked this topic