[OB] Sea of Lost Lights

Blazenella

So, I was going back through all of the drawings and found that the "Sea of Lost Lights" is an exact photo negative of Roshar, in other words in Roshar where land is is "Water" and where water is is " Land". This has probably already been brought up and discussed (Feel free to send a link), but my first thought of this was Shadesmar. In the notes on the map it talks about "Spren Fishing" being illegal in a certain place, and there are different cities and such, including a portion of ocean called " The Glasswater Deep" refering to the Shadesmar "Ocean" being made of small glass beads. Even the spot where the mountains near Kholinar are is labeled the " Salavashi Trench". We can easily infer this is Shadesmar, but my question is who made this map, what each city is (Which kind of spren does it belong to), and what some of the names mean. This is our first legit map of Shadesmar, let's get to theorizing!

Screen Shot 2017-12-01 at 2.37.30 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-12-01 at 2.36.41 PM.png

Edited by Blazenella

I believe Celebrant to be the city of the Honorspren, Candlemore could be Cryptics or Truthwatcher spren (In my opinion), Burning Gardens makes me think Ashspren (Dustbringers), Ravizadth talks about laws being enforced which makes me think Highspren (Skybreakers), don't know about the others.

This on page 855 A.K.A, chapter 89 Damnation

Edited by Blazenella

I wonder if spren settle cities near cultures that mimic what they focus on. Like are the Honorspren cities near cultures that focus on doing what is right. Do the cultivationspren have their cities near human societies that are more concerned with growing and building than with war?

Since we don't know what spren inhabit which cities that's difficult to prove but its an idea I had while re-reading some of the sections while they're in Shadesmar

I'm most curious about the Caretaker of Laughter, which Nazh has marked as "Avoid at all costs," and "Salumon the Third Tower."

We know that the Sea of Lost Lights, geographically, is bordered to the southeast by the Expanse of Vapors, which has been confirmed to be Scadrial. If you match up the map of Shadesmar with Nazh's map, it looks like Thaylenah (the Thaylen Sea in Shadesmar) is located above the Nexus of Imagination. The Caretaker of Laughter and Salumon the Third Tower therefore appear to be very close to the Expanse of Vapors/Scadrial. I wonder if the Caretaker of Laughter is dangerous specifically because of its proximity to the Scadrian border in Shadesmar? 

Alternatively, others have theorized for years that the Nexus of Imagination may be Braize, which could explain why an area in Shadesmar close to that region would be marked as "avoid at all costs." 

Edited by dantlee

• Chaos locked this topic