When you get to read Stormlight for a class

Devout Pathian

So in the spring semester Orson Scott Card is teaching at my college.  The class I’m taking is Speculative Fiction LDS Authors. I found out today that he wants us to read or reread all of Stormlight before the first class in January. Now I just need to finsih Oathbringer and the  start the reread.

It’s a lot to read over break, but my parents can’t get mad, because it’s for school. :)

I’m excited and I had to share it with you all.

13 minutes ago, Benjamin_Stormblessed said:

No fair, all I ever get assigned to read is boring old classics XD

Also, BYU?

No, I go to Southern Virginia University.  Card teaches here in the spring whichever year he feels like it.  He does it for free, so it’s really up to him when he teaches.  We weren’t expecting him to teach in the spring, because he came last year, but I’m not complaining.  His class was great.

Yeah, Stormlight is a lot more fun than old classics, even though I do happen to love some of them.

@Bean Delphiki Oh my, you’re name is awesome.  I love the Shadow Series.  Bean is my favorite.

I hope you can share some of of OSC's insights into the Stormlight Archive! I bet he'll catch some things most of us missed. Even if it's just an LDS-based analysis of the work, I'd be very curious. (As a non-Mormon, I can't easily engage with Brandon's work on that level, and I've always wondered if I'm missing some of the subtext.)

4 minutes ago, Ookla the Apostate said:

I hope you can share some of of OSC's insights into the Stormlight Archive! I bet he'll catch some things most of us missed. Even if it's just an LDS-based analysis of the work, I'd be very curious. (As a non-Mormon, I can't easily engage with Brandon's work on that level, and I've always wondered if I'm missing some of the subtext.)

As a Mormon I think I'd have to say that there are several points that are influenced in Brandon's books by our religion. But nothing that would take away from the stories if you don't know them. It is interesting though :)

1 hour ago, Ookla the Apostate said:

That is a great idea. I’ll definitely do that. I also don’t think it will be strickly an LDS-based analysis, although I’m sure we’ll talk about that as well.  Thanks for the suggestion of sharing it.

1 hour ago, Benjamin_Stormblessed said:

As a Mormon I think I'd have to say that there are several points that are influenced in Brandon's books by our religion. But nothing that would take away from the stories if you don't know them. It is interesting though :)

I agree with your assessment.

• Chaos locked this topic