[OB] Navani's airships ?

mosaab

I think these designs are meant to be operated by a windrunner.

Maybe with a central gemstone, where you just lash the ship instead of multiple people, where you can carry things, and the sails to increase speed without adding extra lashing.

What do you think ?

OB_NAVANI-SHIPS_ebook.jpg

Edited by mosaab
To add image

1 minute ago, Ookla, the Incalculable said:

I think they are an expansion on the Fabrial-Tech floating Platform design. 

Relying in Radiants defeats the purpose of technological advance. These are all about developing the magitech civilization that Roshar is becoming. 

Seems like a massive leap.

Also it undermines the majesty of the radiant, just as they are returning suddenly every thing they do can be copied?

Having the artefabrians see the windrunners operate and stark thinking of ways to maximize the benefit of such abilities,without making them semi obsolete proves the technological progress without undercutting the wow-factor of the radiant.

4 hours ago, mosaab said:

I think these designs are meant to be operated by a windrunner.

Maybe with a central gemstone, where you just lash the ship instead of multiple people, where you can carry things, and the sails to increase speed without adding extra lashing.

What do you think ?

the sketch was made after navani in the vision of aharietiam  bugged a knigth on the 'progression' fabrial she carries. 

She pulled him close. “That fabrial is wonderful, Dalinar. It’s like a Soulcaster.” “In what way?” “In that I have no idea how it works! I think … I think something is wrong with the way we’ve been viewing the ancient fabrials.” He looked to her, and she shook her head. “I can’t explain yet.”

oathbringer chapter 38 "broken people"

i suppose navani had gain some insight for create a fabrial mimic the surge, gravitation in this case, like soulcaster, oathgate or regrowth

Edited by Fulminato

2 hours ago, mosaab said:

Seems like a massive leap.

It does. Because they are in the middle of a technological revolution. The spanreeds are relatively new. Heating fabrials and painrials are new. We are watching a massive leap forward in progress. I can't wait for the back five books precisely because of this. 

2 hours ago, mosaab said:

Also it undermines the majesty of the radiant, just as they are returning suddenly every thing they do can be copied?

Fabrials are a separate magic system. They are capable of imitation of all the Surges, yes, but they can also do things no Radiant can do. They are much broader in scope overall, but much more limited per individual use, as each fabrial only does one dedicated thing. Radiants are able to do much much more on the fly. 

I don't see it "undermining" the Radiants at all. It's a contrasting Power set, that emphasizes a Radiants flexibility. And a ship that requires a Radiant is a liability. It ties up a Radiant that could be doing something else. 

Personally, I think you could use this in much the same way you could use Air-Balloons, without needing a Windrunner.

You could use Fabrial technology to get it airborne, whether it be the technology behind the lifts (still not sure how that works) or the technology behind the archer towers that Navani was messing around with in WoR. You set up a shaft with counter-weights and a reverser fabrial setup, plus some gears that can be turned via Conjoiner fabrial that will raise or lower the reverser fabrial platform within the shaft. Then place the reverser fabrial counterpart in the core of the Airship and the conjoiner fabrial's counterpart in the piloting room of the Airship. You can use the conjoiner to turn the gears which allow you to raise or lower the platform, which lowers or raises (respectively) the Airship. This is how you get airborne. Of course, I am making an assumption, which is that reverser fabrials only react to each other in a single axis (up and down) which might be false.

Once you are airborne, going in a specific direction relies on you adjusting your altitude. On earth, you can get winds that blow in pretty much any direction, as long as you are at the right altitude. Of course, this is Roshar, where storms only go one direction, so this might fall apart here. Regardless, most of what I was worried about was getting the Airship in the air, and controlling the altitude.

• Chaos locked this topic