Atium mistings

Binsosk

Question

If Elend was able to use Lerasium without being a misting, that should mean that people could use Atium (or any god metal for that matter) without even becoming a misting. So when Preservation (aka Fuzz) affected 1/16th of the population, was that just to give them a hint as to what he was doing or did he actually need to make them into mistings? (Unless Elend was actually a Lerasium misting which destroys the whole question)

14 answers to this question

25 minutes ago, Binsosk said:

Why should that be though, shouldn’t they have  the same amount of investability?

allomancy derives its power from Preservation.  Lerasium is a physical manifestation of Preservation's power.  Atium, however is a physicl manifestation of Ruin's power.  so in Preservation's magic system, Lerasium is sort of a key, granting access to it, while Atium is more restricted.  on the other hand, in Hemalurgy, which is more closely associated with Ruin, Atium is a universal spike, able to hold any attribute.  we don't know what lerasium does in hemalurgy, but it is probably more limited.

7 minutes ago, Weltall said:

Brandon has addressed this. Basically, Preservation fiddled with the system so his 'sign of sixteen' would work and deliver the hint that he wanted people to see. This involved removing certain misting types so the numbers worked out.

Ah okay, that makes sense. I always wondered why mistings of Ruin's god metal would be a thing if Allomancy was Preservation's system. I just kinda rolled with it as I read the series lol. 

1 hour ago, Dunkum said:

allomancy derives its power from Preservation.  Lerasium is a physical manifestation of Preservation's power.  Atium, however is a physicl manifestation of Ruin's power.  so in Preservation's magic system, Lerasium is sort of a key, granting access to it, while Atium is more restricted.  on the other hand, in Hemalurgy, which is more closely associated with Ruin, Atium is a universal spike, able to hold any attribute.  we don't know what lerasium does in hemalurgy, but it is probably more limited.

Thanks

I always figured Lerasuim's power was the ability to give people the ability of a mistborn. I had a hard time wrapping my head around this to as it would mean... well it would mean a Lerasium misting was a mistborn. But that would be odd because mistborn do not need to ingest Lerasium in order to gain all 16 (or maybe 15) allomantic abilities. Did we ever end up finding out if allomantic abilities were split evenly into 16th's (or 15th's :() for mistings? 

Lerasium creates am incredibly strong Connection to Preservation which lets you access Preservation's magic system. All mistborn and mistings (other than through hemalurgy) are descended from the original rulers the lord ruler gave lerasium to as it's passed down hereditarily. Before TLR gave out lerasium beads mistborn were incredibly rare. Like in Southern Scadrial. 

As allomancy is of Preservation, not Ruin, Ruin's essence doesn't make you an allomancer even though the metal is allomantically useable. 

53 minutes ago, Re-Ookla, Midnight Fractal said:

Lerasium creates am incredibly strong Connection to Preservation which lets you access Preservation's magic system. All mistborn and mistings (other than through hemalurgy) are descended from the original rulers the lord ruler gave lerasium to as it's passed down hereditarily. Before TLR gave out lerasium beads mistborn were incredibly rare. Like in Southern Scadrial. 

As allomancy is of Preservation, not Ruin, Ruin's essence doesn't make you an allomancer even though the metal is allomantically useable. 

I’m still wondering though, why would you even even need to be a misting to use atium? Also if someone would ingest harmonium ( if it was possible) or even rayseium or tanavastium (or some other god metal for that matter), would they need to be a misting for that specific metal as well?

Edited by Binsosk

1 hour ago, Binsosk said:

I’m still wondering though, why would you even even need to be a misting to use atium?

You have to have Connection to Preservation to use Allomancy. That goes for normal metals as well as god metals. 

One part of the series I did find interesting was that Atium mistings actually did exist. Atium is a god metal, not one of the 16 base metals. That part does make me wonder if it's theoretically possible to have god metals from other Shards outside Scadrial. And if so, could Mistings be born on Scadrial with the ability to access these metals? 

10 hours ago, Binsosk said:

I’m still wondering though, why would you even even need to be a misting to use atium? Also if someone would ingest harmonium ( if it was possible) or even rayseium or tanavastium (or some other god metal for that matter), would they need to be a misting for that specific metal as well?

Except for Lerasium and its alloy, you need the right Spiritual Marker to performe Allomancy so a Raysium or Tanavastium will be useless to a guy who wanted to burn them allomantically.

Harmonium is in the grey zone as its a metal who has associations with Preservation (and Ruin too) and we can't predict if it is auto burnable (I believe yes but it's a speculation for his effect)...Luckly it's not an issue as nobody could ingest Harmonium

18 hours ago, Andy92 said:

One part of the series I did find interesting was that Atium mistings actually did exist. Atium is a god metal, not one of the 16 base metals.

Brandon has addressed this. Basically, Preservation fiddled with the system so his 'sign of sixteen' would work and deliver the hint that he wanted people to see. This involved removing certain misting types so the numbers worked out.