[OB] The Same Cryptic?

Trickonometry

Maybe someone else has brought this up before and I missed the topic, in which case, please point me in the appropriate direction. (-:

My friend and I were discussing the final chapter, and he brought up a very good point - could the baby Cryptic (super adorable, btw) that Hoid saves be Elhokar's spren he almost bonded with?

As we (sadly) know, Elhokar was in the process of becoming a Knight Radiant when he was killed. We know he was very much inspired by Shallan's sketch of him as a noble king, and that was a part of what led to him (almost) saying the words. Could he have been on the path to becoming a Lightweaver?

If people DON'T think this is the case, it raises two questions: how would Hoid have known to look for that Cryptic, and what do you think Elhokar would have been?

36 minutes ago, Calderis said:

It was Elhokar's. The location, and the fact that the Fused had Moash and company tearing the palace apart for an unspecified reason are enough. 

I don't think they were looking for the spren specifically. 

I still think they were looking for the unmade. 

13 minutes ago, Dryone_2 said:

Sja-Anath, Yelignar and Ashertmarn were imprisoned there and freed when the Everstorm came.

Those were already shown to be free at that point in the story. Sja-anat and Ashartmarn were already involved with the Oathgate, and Yelig-nar is what took over Aesudan. 

9 minutes ago, Dryone_2 said:

When the first Everstorm hit Kholinar? I don't think so.

It's very likely (per Lhan's interlude, WoR) that by the time the first Everstorm hit Kholinar, that Ashertmarn had taken up residence in Kholinar, or had been imprisoned there and released.  When Sja-anat and Yelig-nar entered the picture is the unclear part.

7 minutes ago, Calderis said:

That's not when Moash and the Parshmen were tearing apart the palace. 

Ah, I think I didn't make myself clear: the Unmade were imprisoned by the perfect gems and the perfect gems were buried in the east wing.

When the Everstorm hit, the Unmade were released rom their gems, but the gems are still there. As with the King's drop, Odium doesn't want those lying around.

It's also possible that the Thrill was imprisoned at one time and released by an Alethi king. After that, they decided to bury the remaining gems.

• Chaos locked this topic