[OB] Taravangian's Dustbringer... Isn't?

WalksIntoMordor

So prior to Oathbringer coming out, I had done as much research as could be done (which admittedly wasn't a lot) on Voidbinding, and came across this post on the forums: 

Number 4 on jofwu's post points something out - on the drawing of Kharbranth in the first book, the symbol that corresponds to the Dustbringers on the Voidbinding chart is seen in the corners.

A bit odd, no?

However, we know from Renarin that the spren he bound to still gave access to similar surges as the order that it claimed he belonged to.  He had powers similar to Progression, after all.  We also know that the Fused could simulate the Lashings as well, though there were differences (possibly due to it being a different sort of Bond - Renarin may have been Nahel-bonded to a corrupted spren of the appropriate type to make a Lightweaver, OR may be a Voidbinder, and the fused are something else- or the two are one and the same, just through different species).

So, we know that corrupted spren can simulate the Orders of the Radiants; we also know that they can trick the pseudo-Knight into thinking that they are Knights of that order.  Without any original Knights to compare to, who would know (outside of the Skybreakers)?

So.  Theory-time.  If the act of a human binding a Voidspren in a Nahel bond is, in fact, Voidbinding, then it is possible that Taravangian's Dustbringer, Malata, isn't a true Dustbringer.  She's a Voidbound Dustbringer.

Keep in mind - Taravangian did everything he could to find a Knight to carry out the Diagram.  And he was amazed that he found a member of the ONE ORDER that he felt would be most in line with his view.  How convenient.

If that is the case of course, then the confusion between Dustbringers and Voidbringers becomes a bit of a joke, I think, but I'm fine with that.

As far as I can tell Renarin has bonded Glys, a Truthwatcher spren. Sure he is corrupted but that doesnt change his fundamental type, so Renarin doesnt just have powers similar to Progression, he has Progression.

Taravangian to me seemed the opposite of amazed that he had found a Radiant, quite the opposite in fact. He says the Diagram predicted a Radiant within his ranks and that said Radiant would probably be a Dustbringer as their temperament matches best with that of the Diagramists.

Having said that her spren could very well be corrupted. We know it's possible and it does seem very blase about the potential destruction of the planet.

It is true that we know now that Voidbinding in humans is possible, but do keep in mind that the majority of Skybreakers are also siding with Odium, so it doesn’t really mean that being ok with Odium taking over means it was a Voidspren bond. Also, Renarin sides with the Radiants, even though he is not one, so it doesn’t necessarily prove that Malata bonded with a Voidspren. Still, it’s possible...

From what I understand from the the Malata and Taravangian scene at the end of the book, the Releaser spren as a group are pissed at humans for Recreance, and now want Odium to win.

We can see a similar thing with Willshaper spren, but their reaction is kind of the opposite. They still want Odium to lose, but they decided to bond singers (or Listeners).

As a meta point - I don't like when the same trick is used twice, and I don't think Brandon would use it this way in one book.

• Chaos locked this topic