Does Elhokar have the same powers as Jasnah & Shallan ?

Laryna

In WoK, Elhokar says that he can see beings with twisted, inhuman heads, or something like that (I don't remember the exact words) but it sounds like he was referring to the spren which Shallan saw.So is it possible that both Elhokar and Jasnah have the same powers?

We don't know for sure (there are some clues in the WoR pre-release chapters) what kind of spren to who Jasnah is bonded. 

I think that Elhokar and Shallan may end up with the same powers, should they both end up actually bonding and speaking their ideals! Or maybe something is just different with Elhokar and he can see the spren similar to how Rock can see them. Perhaps he's just seeing Renarin's spren! Doubtful I suppose since WoB is that Renarin is bound to a "type of spren no one has seen before."

We don't know for sure (there are some clues in the WoR pre-release chapters) what kind of spren to who Jasnah is bonded.

Not clues, it's stated pretty clearly.

Jasnah has another type of spren than Shallan.

Jasnah has transformation & transport surges; Shallan has transformation and ilumination — those correspond to Cryptics (aka "Symbolhead Spren", which Elokhar is also seeing, and some dying people in epigraphs. The Cryptics are rather active in Cognitive Realm, I thonk, so seeing them doesn't have to imply surgebinding.

Jasnah has a spren made of shadow.

Edited by Eri

Jasnah is a Elsecaller and Shallan is a Lightweaver. From what we know the Elsecallers and Lightweavers have the Transformation Surge in common which is basically Soulcasting with no Fabrial. The Cryptic Spren That Shallan and Elhokar have been seeing appear to be related to the Lightweavers, the sixth order of KR which has access to Soulcasting and Lightweaving. Just because he can see them doesn't make him a KR i don't think he has the stones for it personally but he could just be a Surgebinder

Edited by WEZ313

• 1 month later...

Aww don't be so hard on poor Elhokar. How would you be if you've spent the last few years being haunted by angle heads, considering the panic attacks Shallan had the first few times, I think he's holding up quite well. Remember like all the Alethi men he's trapped in ignorance with no way to research what he sees like Jasnah can, and everyone around him assumes he's paranoid. I hope his confirmation that they're real comes when Gaz is in the vicinity and they both react to the cognitive spren at the same time. Once Elhokar solves the mystery of the watchers I think he'll develop a lot.

I was thinking it might be possible that Elhokar is not seeing a cryptic, but a completely different type of spren, perhaps related to Odium.  I say this because just the presence of Khaladin seems to have chased off Elhokar's visions of these figures.

I was thinking it might be possible that Elhokar is not seeing a cryptic, but a completely different type of spren, perhaps related to Odium.  I say this because just the presence of Khaladin seems to have chased off Elhokar's visions of these figures.

I was under the impression that this may be related to the distrust between honorspren and the Cryptics, Syl seems to dislike them, or at least not want to be around them, calling them liespren, and they might feel the same.

I was under the impression that this may be related to the distrust between honorspren and the Cryptics, Syl seems to dislike them, or at least not want to be around them, calling them liespren, and they might feel the same.

That is a definite possibility.  Indeed, I hadn't even thought about how

when Khaladin is using her shardblade, Syl is not around (due to Khaladin's actions) so we might see some interesting dynamics in the next book between the spren.

That is a definite possibility.  Indeed, I hadn't even thought about how

when Khaladin is using her shardblade, Syl is not around (due to Khaladin's actions) so we might see some interesting dynamics in the next book between the spren.

WoR Spoiler.

Brandon has said multiple times that the different orders of KR have different ideas about what methods are right and acceptable (in terms of dealing with your enemy) so I wonder if its the spren and their feelings that make this so, in which case only spren of similar types or Surges might be able to cohabit.

WoR Spoiler.

Brandon has said multiple times that the different orders of KR have different ideas about what methods are right and acceptable (in terms of dealing with your enemy) so I wonder if its the spren and their feelings that make this so, in which case only spren of similar types or Surges might be able to cohabit.

i would say since people attract the spren through their actions/thoughts/mindset, that the ability of the KR to get along is going to be a big part of their "dynamic" in the coming books, regardless of the spren themselves. 

• Chaos locked this topic