[OB] Theroy: Amaram and the Thing (OB Spoilers)

Khyrindor

I haven't read through much on the reactions thread yet, so apologies if someone has thought of this already.

In today's chapters, we learn a whole lot about Re-Shephir, the Midnight Mother. We learn that it is what caused the Midnight Essence and that it is not entirely cognizant.

Particularly interesting to me is that it had been imprisoned before, and recently loosed.

This brings me to the thought that, perhaps, it arrived in Urithiru with its current inhabitants, via the strange, infamous, Black Spheres that the Sons of Honor have been known to possess. It seems entirely likely and possible to me that Amaram could have been in possession of a black sphere that (if the main theories are correct) can hold and trap and Unmade, like a gemstone with spren. 

Perhaps Amaram loosed it as a twisted way of trying to bring about more Radiants, or Heralds, as we've known the Sons of Honor like doing, misguided though they are. I doubt Amaram knew totally of the power that he unwittingly released (if he did) and I will laugh when it blows up in his face.

Another culprit I briefly thought of was Taravangian, but he only just arrived, when we've been dealing with the copycat killer for a while now.

Anyway, chapters were good today. Feel free to tell me I'm wrong if there's something I missed.

The creature trembled, and Shallan finally saw the reason for its fear. It had been trapped. The event had happened recently in the spren’s reckoning, though Shallan had the impression that in fact centuries upon centuries had passed.

I took this to mean that the imprisonment had ended centuries ago, but because the Unmade are so old it's still relatively recent in Re-Shephir's history/memory.

Sort of how like the Stormfather would think the Recreance was recent history.

Edited by Canucck

15 minutes ago, Canucck said:

I took this to mean that the imprisonment had ended centuries ago, but because the Unmade are so old it's still relatively recent in Re-Shephir's history/memory.

Sort of how like the Stormfather would think the Recreance was recent history.

This only tells us how "recent" the start of the imprisonment was. I don't think it says anything about how recently it was released. But thematically it would make more sense if it was tied into things Galivar (or someone similar) was up to.

1 hour ago, Rider of Storms said:

Particularly interesting to me is that it had been imprisoned before, and recently loosed.

The chapters said it was trapped long ago but not when it was released.

The creature trembled, and Shallan finally saw the reason for its fear. It had been trapped. The event had happened recently in the spren’s reckoning, though Shallan had the impression that in fact centuries upon centuries had passed.

12 minutes ago, Rider of Storms said:

Amaram was among the first group, but Dalinar hadn't seen him since, after the first murder, I believe. Sadeas' camp was one of the first, wasn't it?

I remember that Amaram came with one of the groups from the Warcamps, I just thought it was after Sadeas's death. I'll have to keep an eye out for the specific timing when I reread this part in two weeks.

12 minutes ago, Govir said:

I remember that Amaram came with one of the groups from the Warcamps, I just thought it was after Sadeas's death. I'll have to keep an eye out for the specific timing when I reread this part in two weeks.

“Amaram is here?” Adolin asked. “When?”

“He arrived with the last caravan and scavenging crew that you brought through the Oathgate. He didn’t make himself known to the tower, but to me alone. We have been seeing to his needs, as he was caught out in a storm with his attendants. He assures me he will return to duty soon, and will make finding my husband’s murderer a priority.”

this from chapter 22
well after the copycat murders start.

That's not to say that Ialai is for sure telling the truth, but until proven otherwise, I prefer to take it at face value.

To me, there is a couple of things that fail to make sense with this theory, except for the timeline.

-Amaram has Heralds, Radiants, and a Desolation. I don't see why he would need to unleash an Unmade. I don't think it fits with what we know of him this far.

-If Amaram did this, Brandon would probably foreshadow it by showing a black sphere inside Amarams manor or something.

So I do not really buy this.

By the way, the title of the thread sounds kind of dirty :-D

43 minutes ago, Toaster Retribution said:

To me, there is a couple of things that fail to make sense with this theory, except for the timeline.

-Amaram has Heralds, Radiants, and a Desolation. I don't see why he would need to unleash an Unmade. I don't think it fits with what we know of him this far.

-If Amaram did this, Brandon would probably foreshadow it by showing a black sphere inside Amarams manor or something.

So I do not really buy this.

By the way, the title of the thread sounds kind of dirty :-D

Eh, fair enough.

And, I didn't want to say "Amaram and the Unmade" Or "Amaram and Re-Shephir" because I figured it might be spoilery.

4 hours ago, kari-no-sugata said:

This only tells us how "recent" the start of the imprisonment was. I don't think it says anything about how recently it was released. But thematically it would make more sense if it was tied into things Galivar (or someone similar) was up to.

In Dalinars vision fighting the midnight essences, one of the radiants questions who released the midnight mother.  This implies that she was imprisoned and freed at least once prior to the Eighth Epoch.  

She could have been imprisoned multiple times, but today's chapter I read to imply a solo imprisonment.

• Argent changed the title to [OB] Theroy: Amaram and the Thing (OB Spoilers)
  • Chaos locked this topic