Why do people want dead Larkins?

WitSpren

Seems totally weird: for a status symbol paperweight, the thing would be totally rotted before the traders got it anywhere.  Do they even have refrigerators?

Bizarre speculation:

For use to create fabrials?

Weird tiny gemhearts?

Necromananimalcy?

Well, I would hypothesize that kings kept larkins pre-recreance to defend themselves against, well, Szeth or rather rogue Surgebinders. They may have also been effective against lesser viodish creatures like midnight essence. Post-Recreance, kings may have kept larkins specifically to protect themselves from any remaining Surgebinders. Over time (4500 years) the real reason was forgotten, but kings continued to keep larkins around because they were somewhat rare coming only from one part of the world. After the scourge, finding live larkins became much more difficult, so someone decided that a dead larkin on the mantle would be good enough. That's my guess anyways.

My friend, this post is empty...

Yes, & I did not notice until just a few minutes ago.    

It Was not anything big,     Just telling everyone thanks for their input.    Mostly on the lines that I was thinking.     I mostly just started the thread to see if someone had seen a little tidbit that I had missed.     BS is getting good at putting them in in such a way that they can be missed.

Just overall, unless they still have some kind of power, I can see that they might be rare & expensive, but hardly rating a fortune.    But that is mostly just me and my values.

Sort of makes me think of chasmfiends in it's chrysalis, sitting on a plateau awaiting a highstorm.

*Wild speculation*

Maybe the Larkin's like that, at some point in it's life it creates a hard clear chrysalis around itself to await a highstorm. Then when it's taken in enough stormlight it transforms into something else.

The one on Elhokar's desk might just be in stasis and if it was left out in a highstorm it would "hatch"

I don't actually believe any of that, just a random thought that popped into my head. It would be pretty cool though if Elhokar's paper weight suddenly became his pet that could defend him against a surgebinder.

*New Theory*

Elhokar's pet Larkin defeats Szeth and saves Dalinar.  ;)

Edited by Duskshard

• Chaos locked this topic