Spoiler free review/reactions from TOR

Who Sharded?

No. Just... no. I will not accept this.

(I’m not going to give you any more. I’m betting most of you will recognize it when you read it.)

This just makes me afraid that Jasnah's kicking the bucket. :(

If you look carefully for mentions of Jasnah and Cryptics in all of the bullet points, Jasnah is only mentioned once... and it seems to refer to something in one of the sample chapters released.

Maybe if I burn a prayer I can make it into Dalinar instead of Jasnah....

Edited by Moogle

Gah. I finally had to quit copying every sentence that gave me a thrill—there are just so many. Oh, so many lovely things happening. ______ laying down his burden was superb. ______ charging was brilliant. _______ dying (sad face)—he died well, but how terrifying that death would have been! _______’s return was breathtaking. _____ crashing... (I’m running out of superlatives!) Ah. It was hard to remember to breathe during this chapter.

I think some of these could be used for a hilarious game of Mad Libs. :P

Oh, Teft. You make me so sad. So very, very sad.

Well, he seems to have unexpected depths… And so much for unexpected depths. But I’m glad he died a soldier. That actually made me tear up: “You were a fine way to ____________.”

(I never, ever would have expected to cry for him.)

My guess is that Teft does die on this book. Oh well.

Edited by kobain

My guess is that Teft does die on this book. Oh well.

I think that quote refers to Amaram, since she didn't think she would cry for him. I would expect to cry for a member of Bridge Four. However, I don't think anyone is safe, since she mentioned dying several times! :o  :wacko:

This post is such a tease. I bet Teft, Sadeas, and Renarin die. I bet Adolin is responsible for at least one of them, too. Can't wait for the thing none of us could expect that has been mentioned by at least 3 knowledgeable sources so far. I just want to knooooooooow.

Well, he seems to have unexpected depths… And so much for unexpected depths. But I’m glad he died a soldier. That actually made me tear up: “You were a fine way to ____________.”

(I never, ever would have expected to cry for him.)

I agree with a smart guy. I bet she is referring to Amaram.

Part of me wants to shriek that this is NOT the same man we’ve seen before … but at the same time, I love it. He has actual, multiple layers (as he should, being who he is) but this particular layer completely took me by surprise. I never expected that he would—or even could—make a decision like this. Stunning.

And this is Elhokar.

“I hate reading books on computer. This is where I should have the satisfaction of chucking several pounds of book across the room. Stupid stupid stupid! Is he ever going to learn to think before he acts?”

(This was borrowed from Bob, another beta reader, but it was just too well said. And he spoke for most of us, judging from the comments. I certainly felt the same way!)

And this is Adolin.

I’m sure I must have breathed during the first part of this chapter, but once Shallan started drawing… I can’t guarantee it. I was certainly holding my breath when Jasnah walked in!

Chapter 3.

Edited by eveorjoy

I found it quite painful to read this—his mind flickering between the little flashes of memory, the battle going on around him... and then “Move. Grieve later. Move!”—to the reader, almost as much as to the character—you can’t stop here! And I loved his obedience to his own command.

There is a level of fanboyism (or fangirlism - the collective fanpersonism just doesn't have the same ring to it) when you feel the feels when you as much as read somebody else's reaction to a feely scene. I have now reached that level.

Wow. He was right after all. I still don’t like him, but now I pity him. So many questions answered in two short sentences.

This is Elhokar. They are out to get him.

Dalinar, no! No, no, NO! Oh, wait… … … What? Really? BAHAHAhahahahahah! Oh, yeah!
This sounds similar to the common reaction to the scene where he summoned his Shardblade and offered it to Sadeas for the bridgemen, but for a moment looked like he was about to kick some major butt. Except kind of in reverse? It's becoming a theme for Dalinar, it seems.

Heh. No wonder they call her a heretic. Outrageous!

Jasnah probably said she didn't like coffee or something...

Dalinar, no! No, no, NO! Oh, wait… … … What? Really? BAHAHAhahahahahah! Oh, yeah!

Hm. Dalinar announces that he isn't going to found the Knights Radiant, because he's letting Kaladin found it instead? Kaladin is a bit young so I'm not sure this works. He's the only Windrunner though.

This sounds similar to the common reaction to the scene where he summoned his Shardblade and offered it to Sadeas for the bridgemen, but for a moment looked like he was about to kick some major butt. Except kind of in reverse? It's becoming a theme for Dalinar, it seems.

Jasnah probably said she didn't like coffee or something...

"A crude concoction made from leaching stormwater thru roasted rare Shin beans.. Exotic tastes were never my thing.  Besides there are too many steps to the processing, too much opportunity for poisoning."

You know you're too deep when before you post a fanfic quote you search for references to coffee that would discredit your statement in the ebook.

Perhaps Elhokar isn't quite the whiney incompetent ruler he seems. Maybe he is devious and cunning; perhaps complicit in Gavilar's death. Ahh... baseless speculation how I wish to be rid of you. Come forth March fourth.

I'd go so far that he is allied with Taravangian and is complicit in the attempt on Dalinar's life as well.

Think about it.  Why is Taravangian having Dalinar assassinated?

I always accepted it was because Dalinar was uniting Alethkar under strong leadership and that would prevent Taravangian from picking up the pieces when the desolation arrived.  But given what we've seen so far Dalinar isn't having much luck and looks set to fail.  It never quite made sense to me how Taravangian would pick up the pieces either.  Elhokar is in a much better position to do this.  He is already the ruler of one Vorin kingdom, bringing Jah Keved under his domain would seem rather easy.  That's already most of the military might on Roshar and the other kingdoms would naturally flock to a strong leader in the event of a desolation.

So my, crazy, theory is that Taravangian is having Dalinar assassinated because he is weaking Taravangian's ally Elhokar.

I like that theory Bremen. My only issue with it is that Taravangian tells Szeth that Dalinar "must not succeed", or whatever it was. I've been thinking lately that Elhokar might have issues with Dalinar taking his power from him.

Edited by Moogle

Thoughts.

• Dalinar, no! No, no, NO! Oh, wait… … … What? Really? BAHAHAhahahahahah! Oh, yeah!
    (And there was fist-pumping.)

Dalinar steps up to fight someone, Szeth maybe. BAM! There's Gavilar's Shardblade - just like I said. Materializes right in the gut.

• Well, he seems to have unexpected depths… And so much for unexpected depths. But I’m glad he died a soldier. That actually made me tear up: “You were a fine way to ____________.”
    (I never, ever would have expected to cry for him.)

Goodbye? Sadeas? (Hate him like a red headed stepchild, but I can see him going out in glory for Elhokar. Maybe. 

• Well, there’s one theory proven right.
    (I honestly don’t remember if I thought it was valid or not, but I remember thinking that some people were too thoroughly convinced on insufficient evidence.)

Hate to say this seems like how I would feel reading that Szeth carries an Honorblade.

• I’m sure I must have breathed during the first part of this chapter, but once Shallan started drawing… I can’t guarantee it. I was certainly holding my breath when Jasnah walked in!

Incredibly descriptive scene where Shallan tries her hand (hehe) at drawing a certain adult style japanese anime? (please don't ban me for that post)

Edited by Blackwood

I like that theory Bremen. My only issue with it is that Taravangian tells Szeth that Dalinar "must not succeed", or whatever it was. I've been thinking lately that Elhokar might have issues with Dalinar taking his power from him.

I don't have the quotes in front of me, but Dalinar's chances of succeeding on his own don't look too good right now.

I also wouldn't put it past Taravangian to lie to his assassin.

Edited by Bremen

I don't have the quotes in front of me, but Dalinar's chances of succeeding on his own don't look too good right now.

I agree. I think it's even safe to say he fails. Hard. As a good portion of the Alethi get killed by an unending storm. Perhaps they call it the Everstorm.

I also wouldn't put it past Taravangian to lie to his assassin.

Possible. He's done it before. I'm not really sure where I stand on this.

Edited by Moogle

______ laying down his burden was superb. ______ charging was brilliant. _______ dying (sad face)—he died well, but how terrifying that death would have been! _______’s return was breathtaking. _____ crashing... (I’m running out of superlatives!) Ah. It was hard to remember to breathe during this chapter.

Kaladin laying down his burden was superb. Bridge 4 charging was brilliant. Teft/Moash dying (sad face)—he died well, but how terrifying that death would have been! Szeth’s return was breathtaking. Stormlight? crashing...

How about "Kaladin crashing"? He probably learns about Basic Lashings. I imagine there's a few nasty crashes in his future.

Edit: I’m sure I must have breathed during the first part of this chapter, but once Shallan started drawing… I can’t guarantee it. I was certainly holding my breath when Jasnah walked in!

I'm not sure if this is about one of the early chapters or not - if it's not, then we just got confirmation that Jasnah doesn't die for a while! Woo!

Edited by Moogle

Dalinar, no! No, no, NO! Oh, wait… … … What? Really? BAHAHAhahahahahah! Oh, yeah!
(And there was fist-pumping.)

Yeah Radiant power for DALINAR! FTW!

I really need a glyph for ambivalence. I loved so much about this chapter. That’s what was getting boring? LOL! And that reconciliation is made of win. On top of that, he believes _______, which is very insightful of him. But... I don’t trust ________ as far as I can throw a chasmfiend, not with power like that. And just who do you think you are, dude, to decide what’s “best” for the whole storming kingdom? I have a bad feeling about this…

OMG, Amaram is a surgebinder "with power like that"! And LOL - Kaladin reconciles with Amaram HAHAHAHAHAHA

... so many deaths ... :( Teft is dead for sure. But before, we'll know what he did... and it's gonna be sad.

Wow. He was right after all. I still don’t like him, but now I pity him. So many questions answered in two short sentences.

First thought is Darkness. If he will be more than a interlude character. Otherwise, Szeth. One of them dies, too.

Yeah I have no idea who this is about :)

Part of me wants to shriek that this is NOT the same man we’ve seen before … but at the same time, I love it. He has actual, multiple layers (as he should, being who he is) but this particular layer completely took me by surprise. I never expected that he would—or even could—make a decision like this. Stunning.

Elhokar starts to make decisions!

“I hate reading books on computer. This is where I should have the satisfaction of chucking several pounds of book across the room. Stupid stupid stupid! Is he ever going to learn to think before he acts?

Adolin or Kaladin for sure :)

Well, there’s one theory proven right.
(I honestly don’t remember if I thought it was valid or not, but I remember thinking that some people were too thoroughly convinced on insufficient evidence.)

Szeth has a honorblade.

I’m sure I must have breathed during the first part of this chapter, but once Shallan started drawing… I can’t guarantee it. I was certainly holding my breath when Jasnah walked in!

--

I’ll just say that after Words of Radiance, I can almost guarantee that no one will look at her the same way, whether you loved her, hated her, or anywhere between. I won’t promise that you’ll love her. I won’t promise that you’ll even like her. But I promise you won’t see her the same way you did before.

OH-OH... can't wait for this one... 

So… _______ is ________. And, ‘Of course, there wasn’t one. Hadn’t been one in years.’ Oh, ________, what happened to you?”

(This is unabashedly borrowed from Eric, another beta reader; I didn’t make this connection at all, and didn’t even believe it at the time. My big question was, “What Heralds are going to be on the chapter icons here?” Peter, of course, merely said, “That is an excellent question!” Him and his Aes Sedai answers.)

Darkness is a Herald.

No. Just... no. I will not accept this.
(I’m not going to give you any more. I’m betting most of you will recognize it when you read it.)

Hmm... Shallan, oh Shallan.... what have you done?

::stunned silence::
(Seriously. It took me several days to find anything coherent to say about this scene.)
Please tell me it’s not true. I don’t know what I dare hope for; it won’t surprise me if it’s true, but I still want it not to be. I’m trying not to hope anything in particular, but this is tough.

Dalinar dies.

Oh, my. Ohmyohmyohmyohmy.
(I know that’s not much to go on, but… All I can do is suggest a visual of extremely wide eyes. This was not a dancing or fist-pumping moment—it was wide eyes and a slack jaw, as something I’d never even imagined… happened. I was all but incoherent.)

The visions were fake :))

And… there’s the painting. Sah-weet.
(There was much delighted squealing and arm-waving going on when I read this scene. You’ll love it. Promise.)

Hm....

How about "Kaladin crashing"? He probably learns about Basic Lashings. I imagine there's a few nasty crashes in his future.

Edit: I’m sure I must have breathed during the first part of this chapter, but once Shallan started drawing… I can’t guarantee it. I was certainly holding my breath when Jasnah walked in!

I'm not sure if this is about one of the early chapters or not - if it's not, then we just got confirmation that Jasnah doesn't die for a while! Woo!

I think this is referring to the chapter 3 where...

Pattern is drawn to life by Shallan.  It was clear while she was drawing something big was happening and then Jasnah walked in to her room.

However, this quote made me hopeful that Jasnah will live on past chapter 7.

Jasnah is the only person called heretic, so far, the statement refers to her present tense, and she hasn't done anything very "outrageous" in the chapters released. Of course that depends on your definition of outrageous.

Edited by eveorjoy

Jasnah is the only person called heretic, so far, the statement refers to her present tense, and she hasn't done anything very "outrageous" in the chapters released. Of course that depends on your definition of outrageous.

Maybe she will take some drawing lessons from Shallan and then spray-paint obscenities about the Almighty :)

OUTRAGEOUS!

Edited by marianmi