Well of Ascension question about Ashweather Cett seems unasked

tabitreader

I've been googling this question all morning, nothing online...so far.

Well of Ascension near the end. Vin just slaughtered Straff on his horse, meanwhile at Cett's camp he is taunted by his daughter to help Luthadel, not Straff. Cett ponders why he thought he could seize Luthadel with no Allomancers, then he says this:

"Or was it because I was looking for something, a confirmation of the stories, a power like I saw on that night when the air almost killed me."

This piqued my interest suddenly. Was Cett snapped by the mist?  No, surely he hasn't cowered indoors his whole life like a skaa. I thought about the Mist Spirit aka Preservation.  Did Preservation stab Cett?  No, he wants stasis, balance, he wouldn't even stab Elend without another spirit forcing him to. But wait, didn't Alendi's party suffer a stab wound on the way to the Well? Perhaps he could attack after all. Did Ruin stab Cett? Could he? All people aid Ruin even if they don't mean to, so why "nearly kill" a pawn in his game.

Or, did Preservation's original millennial plan to bring about the Hero of Ages "need" Cett stabbed to coerce him to seize Luthadel and set in motion all the pieces and events needed?

Any thoughts? Sorry if this question has been asked and answered, as I said...been googling all morning. Sorry about the stream of consciousness gab earlier.

What was Brandon Sanderson referring to with that sentence?

You have an important typo in the quote above.

A power like I saw on that night, when the Heir almost killed me.

Sanderson, Brandon. The Well of Ascension: Book Two of Mistborn (p. 708). Tom Doherty Associates. Kindle Edition. 

Meaning when Vin almost killed him. 

Stupid audio books!

"Air" and "Heir" shouldn't sound the same, make the dictionary people and all English speaking communities change this at once. Since Scadrial does have things in the air, making it unique, except maybe for Roshar and spren buzzing, flitting, flying, hopping, leaking all about everything all the time, must be quite strange over there.

What an audible blunder. Can it be so simple? Just Vin attacking Cett at the Hastings manor?

A confirmation that the "Heir" really did kill the Lord Ruler and bested him.

Thank you StormingTexan

Edited by tabitreader
added more

On 10/11/2017 at 2:36 PM, tabitreader said:

Was Cett snapped by the mist?  No, surely he hasn't cowered indoors his whole life like a skaa.

The topic being resolved notwithstanding, this needs to be corrected anyway: The Mists do not automatically snap people. That is a very recent change.

On 10/9/2017 at 8:55 PM, The One Who Connects said:

Good memory again Faceless. From Idaho Falls back on '09:

Andrew the Great

Before the Ascension, why did the mists appear just as the Well was gaining power? Did they come out at other times?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

This one is trickier. From what I got out of it, it's because the mists are a manifestation of Preservation, and physical manifestations of Preservation (including Allomancers) are intended to do two things - stop Ruin, and protect the Well of Ascension. Which are kind of the same thing. So, when the Well was dormant, the mists didn't really have much to do. The Deepness form of the mists is a result of the conscious part of Preservation freaking out and trying to produce a way to protect the well, mostly by producing more Allomancers. That's why the mists do all the funky things in the Well of Ascension and Hero of Ages - they're trying to produce more Allomancers to combat Ruin.

Andrew the Great

Why did the mist sickness only happen after the Lord Ruler's death?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

It didn't. It just happened on a much smaller scale. As you remember, the Lord Ruler basically meant stagnation. Because it seemed the Lord Ruler would be taking the power again (as was intended, and as apparently had been done many times before), and because of the extreme stability of the Final Empire, Preservation (though it really only had a shadow of it's mind left) wasn't as freaked out. After the LR died, Preservation began to attempt to create more Allomancers for the reasons mentioned in question 7. It also left clues, such as the number 16 everywhere, so that people would know it was Preservation doing it, and not just random chance, or ruin. Turns out that that didn't work so well.

Leras sent the Mists into action as a reactionary response, not as a preemptive action.

• Chaos locked this topic