[OB] Oathbringer Dust jacket and map!

CosmereQuestioner

Captain: Kaladin

Spy: Shallan 

Stone walker: Szeth

Traitor: ....Eshonai? 

King: Dalinar 

Looks like Kaladin wants to make up for past tragedies... reconcile the Parshfolk and the humans? 

Shallan’s going to be more internal I think, looking for emotional and mental stability and ‘completion’. 

Szeth will be a cautious and introspective search for truth methinks. 

Eshonai is trying to get free! Yay! 

But Dalinar... he’s going to have to deal with the Recreance? 

Wait a minute... I remember something about going to "The Valley" for the old magic - want to say this was related to the interlude with Baxil and "his mistress"... 

This map shows "The Valley" as being in very close proximity to Urithiru......

10 minutes ago, scifan said:

Wait a minute... I remember something about going to "The Valley" for the old magic - want to say this was related to the interlude with Baxil and "his mistress"... 

This map shows "The Valley" as being in very close proximity to Urithiru......

Yeah, I mentioned this after the nap was posted in the back cover thread. 

I find it interesting that Dalinar is probably closer to the Nightwatcher than he's ever been since visiting her, and his memories suddenly returned. 

21 minutes ago, Salkara said:

Urithiru was built at the place closest to Honor... but the Nightwatcher is of Cultivation, right? How does that work?

I think that "The place closest to Honor" is a matter of elevation and nothing more. 

10 minutes ago, Calderis said:

I think that "The place closest to Honor" is a matter of elevation and nothing more. 

See, I'm inclined to disagree. I think that's the type of phrase meant to be overlooked on a first read but recognized as clever foreshadowing after everything is finished. Similar to 

I will hold the future of the entire world on my arms.

There is a place called Icewater south-east of Aimia. Have we had that on a map before?

I am intrigued by the fact that Urithiru is relatively close to the Valley (Nightwatcher) the Purelake (Plague, Ishikk and 17th Shard), Yeddaw (Lift) and Sesemalex Dar (Tezim).

Edited by Toaster Retribution

blurb for those who are lazy:

A new storm has come

Ash and red lightning sweep the land, awakening our ancient enemies, The Unmade - shadows of the Enemy's soul - stir, while the eyes of men open. This war is not, and never was, what they thought it to be. 

We may soon hold Surges again, for Radiance as returned to some, and shines toward others. The Captain, broken by loss , seeks reconciliation. The Spy, broken by cruelty, seeks completion. The Stonewalker, broken by oaths, seeks truth. The Traitor, broken by ambition, seeks freedom. 

And finally the King. Broken by war, he seeks the past. That which was abandoned. That which he must not know. 

For those secrets will crush him as they did the knights who came before. 

The traitor... man. That one is turning my head. 

Ambition doesn't really seem like Eshonai's problem. Too much trust maybe. Maybe ambition if you see a desire for more forms that will help them vs. the Alethi? That also means that she would be a KR which is exciting. How is she a traitor? Going out and testing Stormform? Not how I would define a traitor, since she had no way to know she wouldn't be able to shed the new form with the next highstorm like other forms. But if not her, then who?

The only other "traitor" I can think of is Moash as he actually betrayed his oaths to Kaladin and Bridge 4. He also seems/feels trapped at the end of WoR. Wouldn't that be an interesting turn of events? Two "enemies" as Knights of the new founded order. 

First all Order meeting, "Hi, I'm Szeth, Skywalker. I slaughtered most of the Rosharian leadership, but I'm cool now. Next. Oh, Hi, I'm Moash, I tried to kill the King of Alethkar and only Kaladin becoming a Windrunner stopped me, I'm a (insert order here), I also am now cool."

6 minutes ago, Green Hoodie Mistborn said:

Ambition doesn't really seem like Eshonai's problem. Too much trust maybe. Maybe ambition if you see a desire for more forms that will help them vs. the Alethi? That also means that she would be a KR which is exciting. How is she a traitor? Going out and testing Stormform? Not how I would define a traitor, since she had no way to know she wouldn't be able to shed the new form with the next highstorm like other forms. But if not her, then who?

Her ambition was the desire to map the world. It was her ambition that lead the listeners to meet Gavilar's expedition in the first place. 

2 minutes ago, Calderis said:

Her ambition was the desire to map the world. It was her ambition that lead the listeners to meet Gavilar's expedition in the first place. 

Great thought. I wasn't going back far enough into her backstory when thinking about ambition. That jives pretty well, though I'm not too excited about a whole book with evil Eshonai POV and silent head screaming good Eshonai... hopefully she finds the freedom before too much longer. 

I know she won't get screen time, but I wish Lift got some play in the blurb too. Does the lack of Renarin in the blurb mean we won't get too much of him still this book? We've seen him a bit in preview chapters so far... 

Also side note from my WoR re-read I just finished today - I'd love to get away from the trope of Kaladin saying his new Oaths at the very end of a book. Maybe he could level up mid-book this time. Please? :P Or really any of them? Let's see some Shardplate formation mid-Oathbringer with some new Oaths!!

The most obvious reason for Eshonai being the traitor on the dust jacket is that she will have her own book in the first five like the other four mentioned on the blurb.

But there are a number of ways traitor broken by ambition fits Eshonai. 

If she ends up fighting her own people alongside the humans, that's clearly a betrayal. I think this is the most likely reason she is called traitor on the blurb.  But she also betrayed her people to Odium the moment she chose to test stormform. 

Like Calderis said, her ambition to map the world led to a war, but I dont think that broke her.

It could have been the choice to accept leadership instead of chasing the horizon, but in WoR she seems to have accepted the choice as a necessity. 

I still think what broke her was Venli's ambition looking for new forms, that led to Eshonai losing even freedom of choice. Being trapped in your own head and ordering your former friends and family to be executed and not being able to do anything is pretty traumatic.

11 hours ago, Green Hoodie Mistborn said:

Ambition doesn't really seem like Eshonai's problem.

It doesn't necessarily have to be Eshonai's own ambition that caused her trouble.  Yes she was ambitious in her desire to explore and map the world.  But the ambition that most recently caused her issue was Venli's, with Stormform.

The line says that the traitor was broken by ambition, not broken by her own ambition.  One could even argue that Gavilar's ambitious goal of bringing the Listener Gods back is what initially broke her entire people and locked them into a conflict they could not win.  There are tons of ways, given the phrasing provided, that ambition could have broken the traitor.

On 10/8/2017 at 7:36 AM, Salkara said:

See, I'm inclined to disagree. I think that's the type of phrase meant to be overlooked on a first read but recognized as clever foreshadowing after everything is finished. Similar to 

I agree. foreshadowing is Brandon's forte. Maybe "the place closest to honor" means his heart or something? He was in love with Cultivation wasn't he?

• Argent changed the title to [OB] Oathbringer Dust jacket and map!
  • Chaos locked this topic