[OB] Purelake

platnumkid

good point, It could be that the Purelake is so west that the storms aren't that damaging, but considering that people in Tashikk still hide from high storms, it's probably not this.  Maybe because its just water high storms are safer, no boulders, rocks and debris to get tossed about.  If that's the case, the Everstorm might not even be that bad on the Purelake.  They could just be going about their lives at their slow Laker pace wondering why the rest of Roshar is freaking out so much.

About the Plague, I believe there is a WoB about how people on Roshar are generally healthier than people on Earth, and even getting a cold (as they are now) is very disturbing to them.  I don't think we have any info about if the colds are killing people or not.

5 hours ago, Toaster Retribution said:

I don´t recall how the Purelake held out during normal Highstorms, but I guess the Everstorm surprised them just like everyone else. My guess would be that they are not overly happy right now, with wierd storms and the plague (cold). Hope Ishikk is still alive. 

Unless I'm mistaken, the waters drain somewhere before/during a Highstorm.

If they don't recede the same way for the Everstorm, it's possible this is the first storm the Purelakers haven't had that warning for.

21 hours ago, Wreith said:

Unless I'm mistaken, the waters drain somewhere before/during a Highstorm.

If they don't recede the same way for the Everstorm, it's possible this is the first storm the Purelakers haven't had that warning for.

Now that you mention it this does sound familiar, i guess the fish go too?

17 hours ago, axcellence said:

I am wondering if we’ll get updates from everywhere on the spanreed.  There seems to be one place after the other guving updates to Dalinar.

Based on the view of their culture we got during the Ishikk interlude, i doubt the Purelakers have much of a mind to reach out and get involved in Wolrdwide politics.  And based on the way Dalinar describes Azish attitudes towards his idea of going to see the Purelake ("why would you want to go there? there is nothing of interest"), i doubt others are really interested in their opinions either.  I think any news will come from other sources as something they heard by word of mouth.

6 hours ago, platnumkid said:

("why would you want to go there? there is nothing of interest")

Perfectly SCREAMS that there is something of interest in the Purelake. 

I would very much like to go to the Purelake. Sommats awesome going on there.

Iirc the Highstorms manifest as small showers there. I guess it depends why that happens, if it's land breaking it up everstorm may be different. But i think purelake is special. The fish there bond with spren, Cultivation influences the place and its just nar the valley where the Nightwatcher is. i suspect they'll be fine. 

39 minutes ago, Toaster Retribution said:

Anyone who can point me to a source for the spren-bonded fish? @Extesian maybe? 

It was part of the question and not refuted here:

INTERVIEW: Jan 21st, 2015

WEIRY

Whether the plague on the Purelake has anything to do with the fact that the magic fish form symbiotic bonds with spren?

BRANDON SANDERSON

No. Worldhoppers brought a disease to Roshar that they didn't have before. It's the common cold. Rosharans' investiture makes it so they’re usually a healthy bunch so something like the cold is kind of frightening. "Its a plague of the sniffles”.

and they were grouped with the Ryshadium, which we generally suspect bond spren

INTERVIEW: Feb 17th, 2016

QUESTION

Are any of the fish in the Purelake Invested?

BRANDON SANDERSON

The fish in the Purelake, like the Ryshadium and other things you will see, are not 100% normal.

Based one what I saw of his responses during this quick search, I'm not sure we can say conclusively that their specialness is due to a spren bond even though that seems the most likely.

We saw Adolin's horse die right?
Did a spren leave the body like with the greatshells? I don't remember.

@Wreith Thanks!

Concerning Adolins horse (Sureblood), nope, there was no spren as far as I remember. But then again, it was a very shocking and confusing moment for our POV in that scene (Adolin) and lightning, armies and spooky songs aren't really the kind of environment when you stop to notice spren, so it wouldn't be unlikely that Adolin just missed it.

@Toaster Retribution it was a Weiry signed book

I got an early christmas gift today (from a certain robotic Brit)!  It is a signed/personalized hardcover of The Way of Kings.

I asked the question “Are the ‘magic fish’ of the Purelake the result of symbiotic bonds with spren?” because that is a pet theory of mine and well, here is what I got:

Source

59dba55e2310c_Weirysbook.jpg.b6ff8d00f2725d624df00f3c4fd9b18e.jpg

I know its terrible, but I find kind of funny that an illness we would ignore and go to school with is causing panic in Roshar. I mean, it is just a cold, guys. Sniffles, coughing, and a runny nose. I don't think it can actually kill you... especially if Rosharans are naturally healthier and more disease-resistant than us. Still, it makes me laugh a little when I read it. A plague of sniffles. (shakes head and bites lip to keep from sniggering during class).

2 hours ago, FollowYourMuse said:

Actually a good example of this is colonization. Many native people were wiped out , and had much higher fatality rates, from common diseases where they had no immunity or previous exposure. 

I would assume it's different because I believe those diseases were already very severe and they just became deadlier, and on Roshar, well it's the commen cold, I doubt it could cause that severe harm unless you had pretty much no immune system.

5 hours ago, Blacksmithki said:

I would assume it's different because I believe those diseases were already very severe and they just became deadlier, and on Roshar, well it's the commen cold, I doubt it could cause that severe harm unless you had pretty much no immune system.

I am no Virologist, nor am I terribly educated. 

However, the Common Cold has existed on Earth for Eons. We have been living with and adapting to it since the moment we became a species. It is a minor inconvenience for us the vast majority of the time. 

On Roshar, they have almost no illness due to the nature of the Investiture present. Their immune systems have no idea what is going on, no experience fighting it. I think of it like a very young child or someone elderly with a compromised immune system. The entire population. This could go very, very badly.

Edited by IllNsickly
Spelling.

14 minutes ago, IllNsickly said:

The entire population. This could go very, very badly.

Well, it probably won't go that badly. WoB is that people on Roshar are generally very healthy because of the Stormlight in highstorms. While that means they're more susceptible to diseases brought onto the planet by worldhoppers (due to a lack of antibodies), it also means they're likely to be more resilient to new diseases than we are.

No matter how realistic a fantasy world is, there's always a point where you have to accept that somethings don't transfer 1:1 because of magic. This is probably one of those cases.

49 minutes ago, IllNsickly said:

@Salkara

Cheers. I know that i am taking it a bit far. But I still believe that it is going to be more involved than 'Just a few sniffles.' 

You may find this WoB of interest. 

stormfather (paraphrased)

Does the plague on the Purelake has anything to do with the fact that the magic fish form symbiotic bonds with spren?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

No, worldhoppers brought a disease to Roshar that they didn't have before. It's the common cold. Rosharans' Investiture makes it so they're usually a healthy bunch so something like the cold is kind of frightening. "It's a plague of the sniffles."