Theory: Odium gave Heralds/mankind the Honorblades and Shardblades

hoidshmoid

Just finishing up another readthrough of WoK before WoR comes out.  Please poke holes in this theory as much as you want.

The Honorblades and Shardblades are infused by Odium's power to help Honor fight the Desolations on Roshar.  In return for such a powerful weapon, Odium required that the Ten Heralds spend the time between Desolations in Damnation.  Odium knew that the Heralds would not be able to withstand Damnation over and over and would eventually give in, leaving mankind to fend for themselves.  In this way, he subverted Honor's influence over mankind as the Shardblades were ideal tools for spreading violence and hate after the Desolation. 

A few pieces of possible support:

1) Szeth calls his Shardblade a cursed weapon many times

2) The way the Shardblade kills living beings with eyes shriveling up and smoking, its reminiscent of a hellish weapon

3) Kal and Syl both dislike the blade for reasons they can and cannot explain.  Kal and Syl both being forces of Honor, it makes sense that they get this feeling.

Honor never intended for the Shardblades to be used against humanity, but in his desperation he agreed to it.  Odium, on the other hand, knew that after the humans fought against the creatures of the Desolation, they would turn his weapons against each other and spread his hate. 

Edited by hoidshmoid

Welcome to the 17th Shard!

I like this theory. I think it has been thought of before, but nevertheless. I don't know, though. Odium is not necessarily trying to spread hate. He simply is hate. So maybe he was aiming for Honor's destruction because he hated Honor, but this seems a little complicated- could Hate really fake friendship?

Welcome to the 17th Shard!

I like this theory. I think it has been thought of before, but nevertheless. I don't know, though. Odium is not necessarily trying to spread hate. He simply is hate. So maybe he was aiming for Honor's destruction because he hated Honor, but this seems a little complicated- could Hate really fake friendship?

So I have seen this mentioned a few times across the theories page. Is Odium's intent confirmed as hate? Everyone who mentions it acts as if it is fact but Odium's intent is still listed as unknown in the coppermind.

So I have seen this mentioned a few times across the theories page. Is Odium's intent confirmed as hate? Everyone who mentions it acts as if it is fact but Odium's intent is still listed as unknown in the coppermind.

Odium means hate. According to a free online dictionary:

1. the state or fact of being subjected to hatred and contempt as a result of a despicable act or blameworthy circumstance
2. hatred and condemnation accompanied by loathing or contempt
Edited by Moogle

I don't know if Odium spreads hate either. It means hate, but does Death (HELLO, ALBERT) spread death or is he just a part of it? That doesn't mean he doesn't spread hate, but you get what I mean.

*car breaks after reading Brandon's comment*

Edited by hawkedup

Someone should find that Sanderson quote and put it (with the dictionary reference) in the coppermind - I know a few theories out there that probably could have been saved a lot of trouble if they had known that.

I'll find it. The quote is in the Cosmere Q&A thread somewhere.

It's there actually, with the citation. It's the 3rd paragraph in Odium.

Edited by Morsk

• 1 month later...

A few pieces of possible support:

1) Szeth calls his Shardblade a cursed weapon many times

he calls it cursed because it was

A. given to him when he was denounced as truthless.

B. he is forced to kill and knows he will continue to kill with it.

C. he wants death and when he was given the shardblade he was told he could not seek his death. he would be easier to kill without it. much easier to kill.

Edited by Matrim Bloody Cauthon

3) Kal and Syl both dislike the blade for reasons they can and cannot explain.  Kal and Syl both being forces of Honor, it makes sense that they get this feeling.

They dont like the blades because they are related to the lost radiants who betrayed their oath. When the radiants betrayed their oaths the shardblades became tainted.

2) The way the Shardblade kills living beings with eyes shriveling up and smoking, its reminiscent of a hellish weapon

if you read the first couple of sentences in WoK it says "Kalak rounded a rocky stone ridge and stumbled to a stop before the body of a dying thunderclast. The enormous stone beast lay on its side, riblike protrusions from its chest broken and cracked." the shardblades were made for fighting the voidbringers and beasts like the thunderclast. the shardblades needed to be able to cut through anything. im guessing that the eyes shriveling up and smoking is just a side effect. might be a side effect of the shardblades being cursed from the radiants going against their oaths.

im sorry, its a good theory, but the evidence that you have provided just doesn't prove it.

I'm a little confused here, in Way of Kings Szeth summons and dismisses his shardblade which we later find out in WoR is an Honourblade, but Taln has his Honourblade with him. My question is how come Talns blade doesn't vanish? Question answered nevermind.

Edited by agentprimus

• 3 weeks later...

I want to post to this thread, but what I have to say is very spoiler laden and I don't know how to do that spoiler button that hides the content unless you click it within my post. Can anyone explain how to do that so I can reply? Newbie in need, thanks!

hmmm, I could see this theory maybe having merit if it included only honorblades, but the shardblades themselves are a different story. Please see below:

shardblades are spren. spren are shattered bits of honor. so shardblades couldn't be from odium.

• Chaos locked this topic