Roshar looks like a Hurricane

xianpoxi

46 minutes ago, xianpoxi said:

I'm not sure how much discussion to put into it, but Looking at the map of Roshar, the land is shaped like a storm.

It doesn't have a full circle, but recent images of Of Harvey and Irma show a similar shape.

Its certainly thematically appropriate. 

I'm sure it's not a coincidence.

The chapter heading for Words of Radiance, Ch. 35 has this quote from the in-world Words of Radiance:

They also, when they had settled their rulings in the nature of each bond's placement, called the name of it the Nahel bond, with regard to its effect upon the souls of those caught in its grip; in this description, each was related to the bonds that drive Roshar itself, ten Surges, named in turn and two for each order ...

Who or what was Nahel, to get the spren-bond effect named for him/her/it?

What does that mean, "the bonds that drive Roshar itself", and why would they be called "Surges" anyway, instead of "powers" or something, except that storms have surges, and Roshar has periodic highstorms of Investiture?

8 hours ago, robardin said:

Who or what was Nahel, to get the spren-bond effect named for him/her/it?

There's a WoB that says that the word "Nahel" is used because of the meaning of the word, so it's a linguistic thing.

And you should definitely read what The Sovereign posted a link to.

Edited by Hafrigado

11 minutes ago, Hafrigado said:

There's a WoB that says that the word "Nahel" is used because of the meaning of the word, so it's a linguistic thing.

And you should definitely read what The Sovereign posted a link to.

Exactly, there's a structure of prefixes and suffixes used in Vorin names that has meaning. Here's a WoB on it, though other than the meaning of Kaladin's name it doesn't give a lot in how it translates. 

Questioner

Did Kaladin’s name come from anywhere in particular?

Brandon Sanderson

No. I'm sure the word paladin was in the back of my head, but it's not like he shares much with like an actual paladin. His name was Merin in the initial version and it was-- it didn't work, he wasn't a Merin and all the fans-- all the readers were like "this name just doesn't work" so I spent years hunting for the right name for him, and that's the one I ended up with. It's really based-- it's Kalak, which is the Storm-- not really the Stormfather but people y'know. Most of the names you'll find are based off one of the Heralds in some way. So he's KALA + DIN, Kalak and din is a suffix.

Isaac Stewart

We do have a meaning for it though. Can I tell them the meaning?

Brandon Sanderson

Ehhh, have we canonized it?

Isaac Stewart

We have canonized it, and we have told people before.

Brandon Sanderson

Then yeah.

Isaac Stewart

It means "Born unto Eternity".

Brandon Sanderson

...I mean, it means that in the same way that names mean something, like my name means-- But when they're naming him that they aren't thinking that. What they are doing is picking one of the Heralds and making a name out of it. But my name technically means "Dweller by the Beacon", but really what it means is "He was the son of Alexander".

And there's another I can't currently find that says that Nahel and Zahel sound so similar because they're based around the same suffix. 

• Chaos locked this topic