Odium

Goldencompounder

It says- vex odium convince him he can lose, he cannot afford to lose again.   Unite them.     Appoint a champion (to fight odium) 

how can a human fight a god. So unite them isn't the high princes or the kingdoms of roshar. It is the spren (who are splinters of honor). Unite them, put them back together. This champion will hold the shard honor. So this extra shard is giving odium a lot more power. After every desolation some of this power was lost. So if odium loses again he will have less power than cultivation.

The specific quote is

“I wish I could do more,” repeated the figure in gold. “You might be able to get him to choose a champion. He is bound by some rules. All of us are. A champion could work well for you, but it is not certain. And … without the Dawnshards … Well, I have done what I can. It is a terrible, terrible thing to leave you alone.”

Sanderson, Brandon. The Way of Kings (The Stormlight Archive, Book 1) (p. 997). Tom Doherty Associates. Kindle Edition.

So it's actually not clear that the Rosharians need to choose a champion. It's definitely talking about Odium choosing a champion (with the potential implication that the Rosharians will also need to choose a champion if e.g. the specific rule is about a duel or something). It might also be Odium e.g. choosing a champion to fight, but in either case it clearly suggests that it's Odium's choice.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/28/2017 at 2:54 AM, Goldencompounder said:

how can a human fight a god.

Have you read all of Mistborn Era 1? Specifically Hero of Ages?

If you have, then I have an answer for you regarding how Champions work. (Mistborn Spoilers, duh..)

Spoiler

In the Final Battle between Elend and Marsh, they were Champions of their respective Shards.

Marsh was specifically Ruin's Chosen Champion, being gifted eleven extra spikes, for a total of 22 spikes with various powers that Ruin could fuel.

Vin(Preservation) was directly fueling Elend with her power. Marsh was trailing Black Smoke because Ruin was fueling him with so much power that it started to leak out.

A Champion being directly fueled by the Shard is very risky, as it's power that the Shard can't use to defend himself. They have to somehow convince Odium that using up his immediately available power is a lesser risk than not getting directly involved.

How that type of thing will be translated into Stormlight Archives, I don't know.

Its interesting that Tavanast goes out of his way to tell Dalinar that convincing Odium that a champion is needed is their only chance. Would Odium who is obviously not slouch in the strategy department fall for so obvious a ploy?  We shall have to wait and see.

Edited by Nathrangking

4 minutes ago, Nathrangking said:

Its interesting that Tanavast goes out of his way to tell Dalinar that convincing Odium that a champion is needed is their only chance.

That was something I had considered too. It feels like Tanavast is saying that they need to convince Odium that the risks of appointing a Champion are the lesser of two evils compared to ... literally any other option Odium has.

12 minutes ago, The One Who Connects said:

That was something I had considered too. It feels like Tanavast is saying that they need to convince Odium that the risks of appointing a Champion are the lesser of two evils compared to ... literally any other option Odium has.

Doing so is where my skepticism lies. Convincing Odium that he does not actually have them by the throat is something which would require a con artist of epic proportions. I mean turning strength into a situation of perceived weakness that will require the skills of a con artist the likes of which we have yet to see in the SA.

2 minutes ago, Nathrangking said:

Convincing Odium that he does not actually have them by the throat is something which would require a con artist of epic proportions.

I'd hazard a guess that reforming Honor would "convince" Odium that he's not in complete control yet. It's not enough to threaten him, but it might be just enough to make him uncertain.

However, I fully see Brandon being able to pull off something completely different that catches both us and Odium by surprise.

4 hours ago, Nathrangking said:

Its interesting that Tavanast goes out of his way to tell Dalinar that convincing Odium that a champion is needed is their only chance. Would Odium who is obviously not slouch in the strategy department fall for so obvious a ploy?  We shall have to wait and see.

I'm not completely sure it's a matter of 'falling' for such a ploy so much as just being Odium's nature. Build something up, and he wants to break it. Even if letting it degrade naturally (which seems to be what Honor is suggesting is the most likely course if no one intervenes) is the higher percentage play, I'm not sure he would want to take it if the alternative is more along his nature. I don't think it's 'tricking' Odium so much as essentially taunting him by assembling something he wants to destroy.

• Chaos locked this topic