Lerasium Savantism

KhanBoltNo4503

Brandon has stated before that burning enough lerasium to become a savant with it would be ascending to the vessel of preservation.

DOUGLAS

What about a Lerasium savant? Or would that require so much Lerasium that the person attempting it would ascend to become a new Shardholder?

BRANDON SANDERSON

Basically, this is what ascension is.

So I have two questions;

1) Would the amount of lerasium needed for savantism be equivalent with the rest of the power the holder of Preservation has at the time?

2) What would happen to Sazed if this were to happen? Would he continue to hold Ruin? But that conflicts with the entire idea of him being a balance or 'harmony' between Preservation and Ruin.

Personally, I believe that 1 would be a yes, as otherwise that would just be a way to cheat the system and hijack a shard, but I have no clue for 2.

15 minutes ago, KhanBoltNo4503 said:

1) Would the amount of lerasium needed for savantism be equivalent with the rest of the power the holder of Preservation has at the time?

I think this one isn't actually possible. The shard would have to create enough Lerasium in the first place to allow a single person to burn enough that they would hold more of the power than the current vessel. I don't know if that's even possible, but I can't imagine anyone doing it intentionally. 

16 minutes ago, KhanBoltNo4503 said:

2) What would happen to Sazed if this were to happen? Would he continue to hold Ruin? But that conflicts with the entire idea of him being a balance or 'harmony' between Preservation and Ruin.

As per my thoughts on 1, I just don't think it could happen, but if it did, yes, Preservation would be ripped away to someone new and Sazed would remain with Ruin. The only real issue I see with this is that the powers have begun to intermingle, so the portion that is mixed would possibly damage both shards... Maybe it stays with Sazed, maybe it falls itself and becomes it's own mixed splinter. Either way, it would be a unique situation. 

I dont think its possible now.

Ruin and Preservation have now mixed enough there one shard.

Sazed has called himself Harmony and gis body Harmonium, but i dont think the new double shard has that intent. As harmony/ium would not be explosive and unstable.

Just now, Thanatos said:

I dont think its possible now.

Ruin and Preservation have now mixed enough there one shard.

Sazed has called himself Harmony and his body Harmonium, but i dont think the new double shard has that intent. As harmony/ium would not be explosive and unstable.

Eeehhhhh it's not just rational. Firstly, lerasium is a tiny tiny proportion of the investiture of Preservation. Those two Shards are heavily invested in the planet. The part of their essence that does enter the system as god metals is tiny compared to their total investiture. Yes, burning all the atium reduced Ruin's available power sufficiently, but it was a very even balance. Preservation is even more thinly spread than Ruin, so even if someone burned every lerasium bead I think it wouldn't come remotely close to even the majority of the Shard's investiture

Interview: May, 2010

Chaos

Why is there such an imbalance between the amount of atium and the amount of lerasium in the world? Also, why are atium and lerasium very imbalanced in Allomantic power (Lerasium is far more useful than atium, really)?

Brandon Sanderson

There isn't. Leras is just spread out further. He is in the mists, in the Well, and in the lerasium. Ruin's power however is considerate strictly in atium.

But most of all, why why why would a Shard let that much of their investiture escape in a usable form like that? They do have control over such things

Interview: Oct, 2008

Czanos (17 October 2008)

Preservation can fuel Allomancy, (Minus Atium.) but can Ruin fuel Hemalurgy? (Or Atium?) And could Sazed fuel all three Metallic Arts?

Brandon Sanderson (17 October 2008)

Both gods could, if they wanted, fuel all of the metallic arts. Preservation is stronger at fueling Allomancy, Ruin stronger at fueling Allomancy or Feruchemy when it has been given via a spike. Both are balanced when it comes to Feruchemy. But this rarely comes up in the books, as it required expending power in a way that the gods were hesitant to do.

Interview: Oct, 2008

zchance (15 October 2008)

I'm surprised no one else has asked but does this new world have atium? If atium was the body of Ruin then it would seem when Sazed took up Ruin's power he would have reabsorbed all of the atium. New atium then would be bits of Sazed's new powers and weaken him with each newly formed bead. It would seem then that if atium exists it would be much rarer, and mean that Sazed would not be able to control this process.

I guess I am trying to understand why he would want to allow any atium to make its way into the hands of people or rather out of his control?

Brandon Sanderson (16 October 2008)

It's theoretically possible for atium to appear in the future, but right now Sazed has no plans to release any of it to the people. It is, effectively, now something of myth and legend.

• Chaos locked this topic