American Ninja Warrior

ryshadium90

One of the things that I'm not a fan of in ANW is that they sometimes give a huge amount of coverage for a contestant, and then they don't make it even past the third obstacle. I guess it's hard to predict who will make it and who won't, but it was kind of depressing to see the JAG woman with the backyard obstacle course fail on the Rail Runner, same place she failed the last time. (Rail Runner wasn't the third obstacle though.)

Rewatched the Denver City finals, and am still blown by Ian Dory's run. There's no question as to why his was the Run of the Night. He literally could've fallen out multiple times. His dismount off of the Wedge was RIDICULOUS!!! I could swear that I saw him falling from the mat, with one leg already falling from the edge, but somehow he managed to grip and stay on. And then on the Elevator Climb. My heart dropped so hard when I saw him start to fumble for a hand grip at the top. I usually wonder what some of the competitors think when they swing their legs up so soon in the climb, and am always thinking What if there legs don't have a good enough grip and they fall so close to the end? Ian Dory almost answered that question, but somehow managed to clamber up using probably every muscle in his body. What a run. Guess he really has to keep that reputation of completing every city final course. 

Las Vegas finals have started! And they were amazing! Alyssa Beird was, what, the 2nd woman to complete stage one? It's amazing to see these people literally sprint through the course, as speed is now a bigger part of it, and seeing records getting broken so often. Argh, but Flex Labreck, just missed the cargo net. That hurt to watch. I don't think I've ever seen the Double Dipper before, but that's a pretty crazy/nifty obstacle. Uh, and Lorin Ball tripped up on that one. It always seems to happen: big expectations and then an early disqualification. And then watching the Cowboy Ninja's run was kind of sad because they finally let out on his wife's condition. They are both troopers.

I know one of the guys whose competed a few times, though he’s never made it past the first course I don’t think. Hunter Sipes, goes by the “Kingdom Ninja”. Cool guy. 

I always have loved Ninja Warrior, though I prefer the original Japanese version. I liked the fact that every stage was either pass or fail, no top ten or thirty or anything. If no one passed stage 1, no one got to attempt stage 2 and the competition ended there. Not that that happened, but I love how so few people ever made it to stage 4.

On 9/6/2017 at 11:03 PM, Jondesu said:

I know one of the guys whose competed a few times, though he’s never made it past the first course I don’t think. Hunter Sipes, goes by the “Kingdom Ninja”. Cool guy. 

That's so awesome! The original version is always cooler/better but I just enjoy watching everyone try these physical feats, and through the season trying again and again. I always wondered what it would be like to try the course myself.

My soul is being ripped apart tonight. First of all, TYLER YAMAUCHI! This guy is literally the shortest guy to get past Stage 1. After seeing him muss up in the state qualifiers, it was great to see him hit that buzzer. But then...JESSIE GRAFF!! That really killed. She just fumbled on the cargo net! And is not going to Stage 2! I don't know if I can watch Kacy's run later on.

And 2017 is over. No one made to Mt. Midoriyama. Three competitors made it Stage 3 though: the Papal Ninja, the Phoenix, and the weatherman. Which is heartbreaking because none of the expected people made it, like Drew Drechsel, or Daniel Gill, or Ian Dory. Even the Cowboy Ninja or Tyler Yamauchi. It was a great season though. Watching them introduce Stage 3 was a little ridiculous though. The Peg Clouds, and then the Time Bombs, right after the Keylock Hang and the Nail Clipper. All serious upper body. It's amazing how some of them land so solidly on the dismount; serious ab strength, and then you have the Phoenix barely latching onto the mat and a foot from the water.