Was it wrong to bond the Stormfather?

Agewalker

12 minutes ago, galendo said:

But...red isn't the Lightweaver's color, right?  Aren't they silver?

They're all gemstone colors 

Edit: Here's a pretty good representation. With the Herald and order associated with the correct color (Skybreakers are shown purple, though technically they are black for smokestone) heralds black.png

Edited by Calderis

1 minute ago, Oversleep said:

(and it's proper Skybreaker color. Gemstones cannot be black)

The black diamonds in my wedding band disagree. 

Edit: and I posted the first chart I found. I had never seen it before. 

Edited by Calderis

Just now, Oversleep said:

I mean, on Roshar - how would they shine? Black light?

I know there is darklight in the Gavilar's dark orb but I doubt it's Skybreaker gem :P

I think there would be a rather large difference between a luminous smokestone, and Voidlight 

Getting back on topic...  Perhaps the Stormfather was reluctant to bond with Dalinar because, though the Recreance didn't kill him, it diminished or hurt in some way.  He seems very harsh on Kaladin in regards to his bond with Syl, I suspect he is angered by how easily the spren can be killed by the bond.  But as it has been mentioned, the bond cannot be forced and so he reluctantly "accepts the words" of Dalinar and is bonded.  

It wasn't wrong to bond the Stormfather, he is just a big grump.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/18/2017 at 4:19 PM, phoenix2563 said:

I don't think the Bondsmith spren can be killed, at least not through the breaking of oaths, unlike the spren of the orher orders.  The quote below heavily implies that that all 3 of the Bondsmith spren survived the Recreance (guessing this is due to how powerful their minds are):

Another popular speculation is that the Stormfather was dying slowly(due to his immense strength), but was saved by Tanavast's cognitive shadow merging with him. It could also be that he didn't die because he wasn't in Bladeform like the others.

On 8/17/2017 at 5:23 PM, WhiteLeeopard said:

windrunners can kill their spren by accident, and others like lightweavers need to do it fully on purpose.

Important Distinction: Shallan didn't actually "break" her bond like Kaladin did. Kaladin actually did something that was against his word, while Shallan just did nothing.

Any of them could break their bond by accident if they did something that was against their Oaths. Kaladin did something against his Oaths, while Shallan did stuff that wasn't for/against her Oaths. There is a whole lot of things that Kaladin could do that have nothing to do with his Oaths, and if he had strayed into more mundane territory for a few years, his bond might have weakened too.

On 8/28/2017 at 2:25 PM, Killik said:

I suspect he is angered by how easily the spren can be killed by the bond.

This.

• Chaos locked this topic