Hoid's Element

TheDoomsday

Hey there!

I recently started a re-read of Stormlight in preparation for Oathbringer, and one passage caught my eye. Any idea what this means?

Let me first assure you that the element is quite safe. I have found a good home for it. I protect it's safety like I protect my own skin, you might say.

What could the element be? I'd like to hear some thoughts.

Thx!

1 minute ago, TheDoomsday said:

Hey there!

I recently started a re-read of Stormlight in preparation for Oathbringer, and one passage caught my eye. Any idea what this means?

What could the element be? I'd like to hear some thoughts.

Thx!

Mistborn spoilers 

Spoiler

The bead of Lerasium he took from the Well. 

On 4.06.2013 at 7:38 AM, little wilson said:

As of tonight at the Provo Library signing, Brandon confirmed that the element is the bead of Lerasium. Which confirms both this theory, and the theory that Hoid wrote the letter (which, let's face it, everyone knew anyway).

Edit for disclaimer: When I asked the question, I also thought the element and the lerasium were different. I asked it as a "Hoid clearly has a habit for taking important items. He has the bead of lerasium and the element. What other items does he have that we should know about?" Brandon's response was that the bead and the element are the same. And that he has many items he should not have. Unfortunately, my phone's battery power was super-low so I couldn't record this response. But if any of you doubt me, ask Mi'ch or Josh. Or Peter. They were all there.

I can't find it in theoryland though.

53 minutes ago, Oversleep said:

I can't find it in theoryland though.

I hadn't seen that. Just this WoP

11 Botanica
Let me first assure you that the element is quite safe.[7]

What is this "element"? Is it the Lerasium bead that Hoid bears?

Peter
Yes.

34 minutes ago, TheDoomsday said:

I'm kinda disappointed in a way. I was expecting something a bit more mysterious.

Aah the more interesting one is this

Have you given up on the gemstone, now that it is dead?

Best idea seems to be an Aether but it's uncertain as far as I know. 

3 minutes ago, Extesian said:

Aah the more interesting one is this

Best idea seems to be an Aether but it's uncertain as far as I know. 

Or perhaps... a special topaz? The stone that became utterly worthless because he wore it as a name. Maybe it has more meaning and was a gemstone of power.. Oh my, I do love speculating!

3 hours ago, Extesian said:

It would be very unusual for me to question your sourcing, but that WoB doesn't say that. It refers to his talk with Kaladin. Is there something more that makes you so confident? Seems likely but I feel I'm missing something extra

The other parts of the epigraph in question (and the one before it) are talking about Hoid's names - that of his old master, his current name of Wit, just 'my old friend.' The quote is the only legal place to establish Topaz as a name of Hoid (since we can talk about WoBs, but not Dragonsteel itself). I suppose it is possible that Frost went on an unrelated tangent to tall about a different topic and an unrelated gemstone in the middle of his discussion of Hoid's names. But knowledge that Hoid went by the name of Topaz once makes the meaning abundantly clear, in my opinion. It would be the same as arguing that Frost is not the person writing the letter - strictly speaking, we don't have an airtight case for it (as has been pointed out to me), but the conclusion is so overwhelming that it would almost require specific misdirection on Brandon's part to be something else.

Edited by Pagerunner

I was being a bit thick@Pagerunner

I’ll address this letter to my “old friend,” as I have no idea what name you’re using currently. Have you given up on the gemstone, now that it is dead? And do you no longer hide behind the name of your old master? I am told that in your current incarnation you've taken a name that references what you presume to be one of your virtues. This is, I suspect, a little like a skunk naming itself for its stench. 

I'd seen discussions on it before that speculated on what it would be. But now you draw attention to it, it does clearly sound like he's referring to the name Topaz (with the implication that there was an actual topaz that is now 'dead'). 

39 minutes ago, Nathrangking said:

The element which is being kept safe perhaps until he finds the right opportunity to add it to the field of play.

If I am not mistaken, I believe that has been confirmed to refer to the bead of lerasium he took off of scadrial

I have a problem with that theory because keeping it safe implies a danger it has been confirmed that he ate the bead and gained allomancy. In my mind at least the wording makes little sense if he is referring to something that could not in actuality come into danger.

39 minutes ago, Nathrangking said:

I have a problem with that theory because keeping it safe implies a danger it has been confirmed that he ate the bead and gained allomancy. In my mind at least the wording makes little sense if he is referring to something that could not in actuality come into danger.

That's another thing that isn't 100% airtight, except this is a topic Brandon has been intentionally evasive on. 'Did he eat the bead?' 'He is an Allomancer... So there's your answer.' Very shifty.

I think a lerasium spike (or neck, even a lerasium tattoo) could fulfill both WoBs, but since we don't have the slightest inkling of what either would mean, Brandon is intentionally keeping us in the dark.

• Chaos locked this topic