[OB] Sample Chapters Info

Azul

1 hour ago, scifan said:

Wouldn't it be Ironic if most of the "Sample" chapters were comprised of those sections of the book that have already been released in one fashion or another?  (I mean, there's a fair amount out there already in flash backs, and what not... )  

There are a fair number of people who are very excited that this book isn't that far from release...

Considering Peter said we're getting a complete part one, we'll see the Kaladin chapter released, and we'll probably see at least one of the Dalinar flashbacks and the Prologue, but no interludes. So we should get quite a bit of new material. 

Should we start out threads onto the 17th Shard to discuss them as they come out? I will admit discussing the book, chapter by chapter, without what it about to come does have its appeal. I guess there will be discussion going onto Tor.com, but their format just isn't as nice. The discussion over there also isn't allowed to roam as free as here.

5 minutes ago, Hadhad said:

What about over in the Coppermind wiki? Will posts about the chapters released be allowed, or is it the usual no spoilers at all until ~48 hours after the (real) release date?

It is not convenient for us to comment on. The idea is to generate discussion threads where we could share our thoughts and impressions. 

17 minutes ago, Nathrangking said:

I'm all for @maxal's idea it could yield interesting results.

It does not need to be formal... First one of us who finishes the new chapters, can start a link. It can't be me as I am unlikely to be the first one to roam through them. 

Love the idea @maxal.  Should we do a new post for each weeks release or just lump it all together ?   Separate post sounds better to me, helps to keep it cleaner and will make it easier to people to avoid spoilers if they are behind but want to jump into the conversation.

Just now, Azul said:

Love the idea @maxal.  Should we do a new post for each weeks release or just lump it all together ?   Separate post sounds better to me, helps to keep it cleaner and will make it easier to people to avoid spoilers if they are behind but want to jump into the conversation.

This was my idea. First one to get through the next chapters can create the thread where others can join in to discuss.

Note that the version we get may not be completely final

Teraphage
12h

Perhaps a naive question, but does anyone know if these will be absolutely finalized chapters, or is there a chance additional edits might happen prior to final book release.

PeterAhlstrom
4h

I don't know the answer to that, but the final fixes will be turned in on Monday. So Tor will have the final versions; I'm just not sure when they'll take the text out for the previews.

Source

Oh and FINAL FIXES ON MONDAY! On Monday it exists! 

And we don't know whether it will actually include the epigraphs...

FellKnight
19h

My real question is are they releasing all the chapters in order this time?

Last time they omitted certain epigraphs and the entirety of WoR Chapter 7.

The decision makes sense to not spoil the above plot point but basically it meant that I had to re-read everything when the book came out anyway.

/u/peterahlstrom do you know if they are releasing everything in order this time?

PeterAhlstrom
15h

Yes, in order. Though we haven't talked about the epigraphs.

yahasgaruna
13h

Hope you manage to fit them in somehow - the epigraphs in books one and two add a lot of flavor and worldbuilding. Makes the books feel a lot more epic than Brandon's other work

PeterAhlstrom
5h

Oh, they are in the book all right. I'm just not sure about the previews.

Source

Aand it was the man himself who suggested we get a full novel worth of previews :)

mistborn
4h

I'm the one who suggested that we do such a large chunk. I figure that if the book is 450k, there's no harm in giving away a piece roughly as large as an entire novel--since that will be less than a fourth of the book. :)

Source

Edited by Extesian

1 hour ago, Extesian said:

Note that the version we get may not be completely final

This was a big shock to me in WOR.  When I finally got a hold of my copy, I had debated skipping the sample chapters to get to new material.  Thankfully I decided to read from the beginning, and found that entire chapter that had not been released.

So while they have said they are releasing the first 32 chapters in order, and that volume of chapters released makes it difficult to exclude anything from the first 80% of the samples (as it would be reacted to in those samples) we still run the risk of having small to medium detail changes.

I'm all for a week by week discussion - I know what I'll be doing on my Tuesday lunch breaks as they come out - but I also think we should take it with a grain of salt.  We have seen the Tor site get Cosmere details wrong before.

I agree with @maxal 's idea for a separate thread for each chapter/part/book?

infact, once the whole book comes out, we should have a separate thread for each chapter.  That way, we can pause after each chapter and discuss as a progressive MO combination read-together!

Do we have an index coming out?  I also think we can post all post book 1/2/3/4/5 discussions separately.

Edited by axcellence

7 hours ago, axcellence said:

infact, once the whole book comes out, we should have a separate thread for each chapter.  That way, we can pause after each chapter and discuss as a progressive MO combination read-together!

There's over 100 chapters in the book, I don't know if this will work for the full release. 

The 32 chapters being released are part 1 of 5, and doesn't include any interludes. 

I think this chapter/thread idea will work well for the gated content release, but once the full book is out and people are reading at different speeds?

That many threads is going to span multiple pages, and be very difficult to find the thread you want if people are actively posting at a high traffic time. 

I don't know if it will work well all contained to the spoiler board. 

Edited by Calderis

22 minutes ago, Calderis said:

The 32 chapters being released are part 1 of 5, plus the interludes.

Based on my understanding, we won't be getting any interludes this time.  Official posting from Tor's website:

"Oathbringer, the eagerly-awaited third installment of Brandon Sanderson’s epic Stormlight Archive fantasy series, arrives on bookshelves on November 14, 2017. Fans of the series can start reading it here on Tor.com for free, starting on Tuesday, August 22!

Tor.com will be hosting a weekly serialization of Oathbringer, leading all the way up to the release day. Every Tuesday, readers will be able to read the next three chapters of Book 3 of the Stormlight Archive, starting with the Prologue: “To Weep” on August 22, then continuing on August 29 with Chapters 1 through 3, and onward up to Chapter 32"

http://www.tor.com/2017/08/15/brandon-sanderson-oathbringer-serialization-announcement/

13 minutes ago, phoenix2563 said:

Based on my understanding, we won't be getting any interludes this time.  Official posting from Tor's website:

I'm aware of that, I was responding to the idea of having separate chapter threads for the full release. 

Edit: and yeah I totally wrote that into the wrong spot in the post. I'm not awake yet apparently. 

Thanks for the correction. 

Edited by Calderis

Chapter by chapter would be pretty insane to try,  not only would it spam the boards but who is going to have the willpower to stop between each chapter and post!.  I do like the idea of putting up a discussion for each 'book' section though I'm not sure I'd be able to use it.   I would still be worried about accidental spoilers and barring natural disasters I usually devour a Sanderson book from start to finish in one sitting.