Shadesmar more dangerous than physical realm?

Watchcry

Hey all. Just had a thought this morning about Shadesmar. 

It appears that Shadesmar is so alien that it is as much or more dangerous than the physical realm. 

My questions are:

What makes a Willshaper or Elsecaller more able/powerful enough to take on that realm more so than other orders (or even shard worlds).

How does the Elsecaller ability of transformation benefit them as the Masters of Shadesmar once they use transportation to get there? Or is it just their wits and intellect that enables them to master cognitive entities there?

I understand much won't be revealed in the next book with Jasnah having a lesser role again but I just wanted your thoughts. Thanks in advance. 

Edited by Watchcry
Misspelled word

I think the main  reason it is so much more dangerous is purely because of it's alien nature. If you were suddenly to enter into a land in which you recognized none of the life, and even the physical properties of light function differently, it would most likely inspire fear, and who knows what fearspren look like in the Cognitive. 

The Physical Realm is dangerous too. People just spend their entire lives learning to navigate it. 

As far as the Orders, there are three that can use the Cognitive Realm easily, you forgot Lightweavers. The in world book "Words of Radiance"  talks about both Willshapers and Lightweavers having some interaction, but the Elsecallers being the true masters of that Realm. 

This implies that it's all in the surges. Lightweavers can enter, and have transformations to manipulate their surroundings and defend themselves, while Willshapers have Transportation for the ability to flee danger. 

Elsecallers have both and so have the most abilities to navigate and defend themselves, and therefore the strongest ability to learn the rules of the Realm. 

Familiarity and understanding is the key I think. 

Edited by Calderis

13 minutes ago, StormblessDave said:

I believe Hoid can access shadesmar too? So worlhoppers can do it too, other than the three surges.

Yeah, what makes those three Radiant orders special is that they're able to access/manipulate the Cognitive Realm with their powers so they have more options once they're there and they have a better opportunity to figure out how the place works, Elsecallers most of all. But the realm can be accessed in other ways as well; The easiest is to use a Perpendicularity, where the huge concentration of Investiture makes it easy to transition between Physical and Cognitive. There's also other magic systems that require the user to have a good understanding of realmatics, like Forgery, the effectiveness of which has a lot to do with Cognitive perception.

Edited by Weltall

2 minutes ago, Weltall said:

Yeah, what makes those three Radiant orders special is that they're able to access/manipulate the Cognitive Realm with their powers so they have more options once they're there and they have a better opportunity to figure out how the place works, Elsecallers most of all. But the realm can be accessed in other ways as well; The easiest is to use a Perpendicularity, where the huge concentration of Investiture makes it easy to transition between Physical and Cognitive.

Yeah that explains why Hoid believed Jasnah had learned stuff he wouldn't be able to in shadesmar.

4 minutes ago, Doctorstormblessed said:

I wouldn't be surprised if the interaction between the two elsecaller abilities created a third new ability that granted them some sort of aid to their control of the realm

I feel the transportation surge itself is the factor that gives superior control in shadesmar, then ofcourse practice makes perfect :lol:

4 minutes ago, Doctorstormblessed said:

I wouldn't be surprised if the interaction between the two elsecaller abilities created a third new ability that granted them some sort of aid to their control of the realm

I'm pretty sure that the Elsecaller perk is their great sense of direction.  It's mentioned several times that Jasnah always seems to know where she is, almost supernaturally so.  How useful that is in the Cognitive realm, we haven't seen.  Maybe a little, maybe a whole lot.

3 minutes ago, galendo said:

I'm pretty sure that the Elsecaller perk is their great sense of direction.  It's mentioned several times that Jasnah always seems to know where she is, almost supernaturally so.  How useful that is in the Cognitive realm, we haven't seen.  Maybe a little, maybe a whole lot.

Yeah the part where Shallan slipped into Shadesmar and Jasnah located her effortlessly does indicate an enhanced sense of direction.

Just now, StormblessDave said:

Yeah the part where Shallan slipped into Shadesmar and Jasnah located her effortlessly does indicate an enhanced sense of direction.

Perhaps, although Shallan and Jasnah were in the same room with each other during their respective jaunts into Shadesmar.  Which would make the problem easier, at least.  

2 minutes ago, Landis963 said:

Perhaps, although Shallan and Jasnah were in the same room with each other during their respective jaunts into Shadesmar.  Which would make the problem easier, at least.  

that's true but its pretty clear its not easy to transport into shadesmar especially when your in a hurry, you can end up making mistakes, like Jasnah choosing a weird location at WOR epilogue because she was in a hurry, but yeah the same room would have made it easier, true.

Just now, StormblessDave said:

that's true but its pretty clear its not easy to transport into shadesmar especially when your in a hurry, you can end up making mistakes, like Jasnah choosing a weird location at WOR epilogue because she was in a hurry, but yeah the same room would have made it easier, true.

Jasnah's weird location there is probably partly due to her need to escape pursuers in the Cognitive Realm.  She ran away from whatever spren was menacing her at the time, Elsecalled out of the Cognitive Realm, and emerged in whatever random spot she escaped to.  Where Hoid just so happened to be, explaining her alarm.  

3 minutes ago, StormblessDave said:

She didn’t exit where she did because she was in a hurry. It was because she had to. 

Every other instance that we saw them in the Cognitive Realm, it was kind of like Astral projection. They may have been moving around there, but their bodies were still in the physical realm. 

After the ship. Jasnah was there physically. In order to leave she needed to reach Honor's perpendicularity, because she didn't have any Stormlight for her surges. 

Spoilered for length. 

Spoiler

http://www.theoryland.com/intvmain.php?i=1182#42

QUESTION

Is it possible that someone could have gotten to the Cognitive Realm on Scadrial without the Well of Ascension?

BRANDON SANDERSON

Yes.

QUESTION

...Can we know how?

BRANDON SANDERSON

Well, how many Shardpools would Scadrial have?

QUESTION

Two, so the Pits of Hathsin would be so?

BRANDON SANDERSON

Yes. So you’ve adopted the term “Shardpool.” That was never really my term, but I’ve started using it. What happens with a Perpendicularity is large concentrations of Investiture, particularly purely attuned to one of the Shards, will create an access point. You’ve seen another one--

QUESTION

Yeah, yeah I know these.

BRANDON SANDERSON

You know which one I’m referencing?

QUESTION

Yes.

BRANDON SANDERSON

That you didn’t see a Pool from?

QUESTION

Oh wait… [Laughter]

BRANDON SANDERSON

Okay, he knows, so… We’ll move on.

QUESTION

Why??!! [general protest, laughter]

BRANDON SANDERSON

Okay, fine. Umm, at the end of Words of Radiance.

ARGENT

There has to be one there because Jasnah has to leave somehow, right?

BRANDON SANDERSON

Yes, but Honor’s Perpendicularity moves.

QUESTION

Woah...so...Highstorm?

BRANDON SANDERSON

[hems and haws]

QUESTION

So, I don’t know if this is a RAFO sort of question, but you call them Perpendicularities, will we see this sort of thing created?

BRANDON SANDERSON

Yeah, Perpendicularities can be created. You’d need a ton of Investiture. But, basically what Jasnah does is create a little mini Perpendicularity and slips herself into the Cognitive Realm.

QUESTION

So it’s just a question of skill, not a question of--

BRANDON SANDERSON

Yeah. It’s hard to pull off...but some of the powers are built to do it.

5 minutes ago, Landis963 said:

Jasnah's weird location there is probably partly due to her need to escape pursuers in the Cognitive Realm.  She ran away from whatever spren was menacing her at the time, Elsecalled out of the Cognitive Realm, and emerged in whatever random spot she escaped to.  Where Hoid just so happened to be, explaining her alarm.  

Yeah and the fact that her apprentice just went to shadesmar would have induced shock, disbelief and alarm, leading to a chance of panic.

1 minute ago, StormblessDave said:

Yeah and the fact that her apprentice just went to shadesmar would have induced shock, disbelief and alarm, leading to a chance of panic.

Jasnah doesn't seem the type to panic, but I don't think further nitpicking is productive here. 

32 minutes ago, Calderis said:

She didn’t exit where she did because she was in a hurry. It was because she had to. 

Every other instance that we saw them in the Cognitive Realm, it was kind of like Astral projection. They may have been moving around there, but their bodies were still in the physical realm. 

After the ship. Jasnah was there physically. In order to leave she needed to reach Honor's perpendicularity, because she didn't have any Stormlight for her surges. 

Spoilered for length. 

Reveal hidden contents

http://www.theoryland.com/intvmain.php?i=1182#42

QUESTION

Is it possible that someone could have gotten to the Cognitive Realm on Scadrial without the Well of Ascension?

BRANDON SANDERSON

Yes.

QUESTION

...Can we know how?

BRANDON SANDERSON

Well, how many Shardpools would Scadrial have?

QUESTION

Two, so the Pits of Hathsin would be so?

BRANDON SANDERSON

Yes. So you’ve adopted the term “Shardpool.” That was never really my term, but I’ve started using it. What happens with a Perpendicularity is large concentrations of Investiture, particularly purely attuned to one of the Shards, will create an access point. You’ve seen another one--

QUESTION

Yeah, yeah I know these.

BRANDON SANDERSON

You know which one I’m referencing?

QUESTION

Yes.

BRANDON SANDERSON

That you didn’t see a Pool from?

QUESTION

Oh wait… [Laughter]

BRANDON SANDERSON

Okay, he knows, so… We’ll move on.

QUESTION

Why??!! [general protest, laughter]

BRANDON SANDERSON

Okay, fine. Umm, at the end of Words of Radiance.

ARGENT

There has to be one there because Jasnah has to leave somehow, right?

BRANDON SANDERSON

Yes, but Honor’s Perpendicularity moves.

QUESTION

Woah...so...Highstorm?

BRANDON SANDERSON

[hems and haws]

QUESTION

So, I don’t know if this is a RAFO sort of question, but you call them Perpendicularities, will we see this sort of thing created?

BRANDON SANDERSON

Yeah, Perpendicularities can be created. You’d need a ton of Investiture. But, basically what Jasnah does is create a little mini Perpendicularity and slips herself into the Cognitive Realm.

QUESTION

So it’s just a question of skill, not a question of--

BRANDON SANDERSON

Yeah. It’s hard to pull off...but some of the powers are built to do it.

If it's astral projection then they can't physically teleport from one location to another unless they enter completely and find a perpendicularity? That sounds kind of lame as far as supporting a battle on Roshar. 

4 minutes ago, Watchcry said:

If it's astral projection then they can't physically teleport from one location to another unless they enter completely and find a perpendicularity? That sounds kind of lame as far as supporting a battle on Roshar. 

We know Elsecalling can go point-to-point within a given Realm (see also: the Oathgates).  That's probably where most of its utility comes from.  Jumping from the Physical to the Cognitive Realms, on the other hand, is a touch more involved.  

Just now, Watchcry said:

The surge of Transportation itself requires Stormlight to either telport directly, like the Oathgates, or create a perpendicularity between the physical and Cognitive Realm. 

The problem Jasnah had was that she used up her Stormlight between entering the Cognitive Realm, and healing a stab wound through the heart. 

If she had enough Stormlight to use the surge, she wouldn't need a perpendicularity, she'd have just made one. 

Just now, Landis963 said:

We know Elsecalling can go point-to-point within a given Realm (see also: the Oathgates).  That's probably where most of its utility comes from.  Jumping from the Physical to the Cognitive Realms, on the other hand, is a touch more involved.  

While the underlying surge manipulation is the same, I don't think comparing a magical machine to a person's precision with the surges is the most accurate.

6 hours ago, Landis963 said:

You say point-to-point within a given realm  I just thought one always had to go through Shadesmar to transport. 

Here's an excellent recent WoB on the differences between elsecalling and soulcasting, astral protection and how this stuff manifests in the Cognitive Realm. With elsecalling you're literally transforming in an out of investiture. With soulcasting you're creating a little soul bubble in the Cognitive Realm (a bubble that interestingly makes you vulnerable).

I'm pretty confident elsecalling is point to point, they don't need to juno into the Cognitive Realm and walk to where they're going. I think Jasnah just teleported entirely into the Cognitive Realm to avoid death, as a stopgap until she could recover and get what she needed. 

Q: When somebody travels into the cognitive realm, what happens to their physical self? To their body? Like Elsecalling or through a Shardpool?
A: Um, well it depends on the way they’re doing it. The two ways you’ve mentioned transport the physical body. It’s actually creating a rift and slipping them through. But there are other ways that you kind of peek in, where you’re body’s saying it’s a little more astral projection-y in those cases.
Q: So their physical self would also be in the cognitive realm?
A: Yes.
Q: Okay.
A: Which is weird.
Q: Yeah.
A: But yes, um...
Q: As opposed to somebody like Kelsier who died and no longer has a physical self.
A: Yes, right. Or when Shallan is soulcasting and peeking in, and things like this. Like… Um… It can still be dangerous, because what’s happening is that little soul bubble there that’s manifesting into a version of your soul and then things can get at it in different ways and stuff. So... But yes, going in physically means you just pop between realms, and yeah, yeah…
Q: And when they leave the cognitive realm their physical self just leaves the cognitive realm the same...
A: Yep, mhm, yep.
Q: Perfect.
A: Basically you’re transferring into investiture and popping out of investiture, so...

Well, it's dangerous.  This is from a Jasnah snippet between book 2 & 3 (see readings and excerpts for the full episode)

Spoiler

Jasnah jumped, spinning. It sounded a trumping beast, only overlaid by the sounds of glass breaking. The terrible noise drove a shiver up her spine. It sounded like it had come from someplace nearby.

Ivory gasped. He leaped forward, grabbing Jasnah by the arm. “We must go.”

“What is that?” Jasnah asked.

“Grinder,” Ivory said. “You call them painspren.”

“Painspren are harmless.”

“On your side, harmless. Here, harmmore. Very harmmore. Come.” He yanked on her arm.

Edited by axcellence