Stormfather

bdoble97

IIRC, he's a pre-shattering super-spren that fused with Honor's cognitive shadow once Odium killed Honor. So a question I have is what happened to the Shard investiture left over by Honor's death. I think Honor's death created a lot more spren?

Edited by Crucible of Shards

1 minute ago, bdoble97 said:

May be stupid idea but could the stormfather be the shard on Roshar

No. The Stormfather is just a massive spren. 

Interestingly though, Tanavast, Honor's Cognitive Shadow (kind of a ghost) merged with him to make something... Weird. 

7 minutes ago, Crucible of Shards said:

IIRC, he's a pre-shattering super-spren that fused with Honor's cognitive shadow once Odium killed Honor. So a question I have is what happened to the Shard investiture left over by Honor's death. I think Honor's death created a lot more spren?

Ok cool I thought the spren were created due to the shards being on Roshar.

6 minutes ago, Calderis said:

No. The Stormfather is just a massive spren. 

Interestingly though, Tanavast, Honor's Cognitive Shadow (kind of a ghost) merged with him to make something... Weird. 

That sounds cool. 

2 hours ago, bdoble97 said:

Ok cool I thought the Spren were created due to the shards being on Roshar.

You're half right. The Shards did make Spren after their arrival, but a great many were there already. Formed from residual power that Adonalsium left behind when he created the planet. Take these numbers with a grain of salt, but I'd say 75% Big A's spren, 10% each from H&C, and the last 5% as Odiumspren(most of his are on Braize, IIRC).

1 hour ago, The One Who Connects said:

You're half right. The Shards did make Spren after their arrival, but a great many were there already. Formed from residual power that Adonalsium left behind when he created the planet. Take these numbers with a grain of salt, but I'd say 75% Big A's spren, 10% each from H&C, and the last 5% as Odiumspren(most of his are on Braize, IIRC).

So they're were less sentient beings before The Shard

22 minutes ago, bdoble97 said:

So they're were less sentient beings before The Shard

The Parshendi already existed, and the spren bonds for their forms may have been less varied, but were a part of their life cycle. 

We don't know what all changed, but it's entirely possible that the only "new" spren were capable of the Nahel bond. 

I personally doubt it's that limited, but it's possible. 

7 hours ago, Crucible of Shards said:

I've seen this mentioned a few times but do we have a WoB this happened?  I know in WoR Stormfather tells Dalinar 

Spoiler

I AM HIS . . . SPREN, YOU MIGHT SAY. NOT HIS SOUL. I AM THE MEMORY MEN CREATE FOR HIM, NOW THAT HE IS GONE. THE PERSONIFICATION OF STORMS AND OF THE DIVINE. I AM NO GOD. I AM BUT A SHADOW OF ONE.

I always took this as it was peoples belief that made him what he is today, similar to how Jasnah talks of anger spren at the start of the book.

8 minutes ago, Azul said:

I've seen this mentioned a few times but do we have a WoB this happened?  I know in WoR Stormfather tells Dalinar 

Hide contents

I AM HIS . . . SPREN, YOU MIGHT SAY. NOT HIS SOUL. I AM THE MEMORY MEN CREATE FOR HIM, NOW THAT HE IS GONE. THE PERSONIFICATION OF STORMS AND OF THE DIVINE. I AM NO GOD. I AM BUT A SHADOW OF ONE.

I always took this as it was peoples belief that made him what he is today, similar to how Jasnah talks of anger spren at the start of the book.

It's a combination of a couple of things. And yes there are WoBs, I'll try to look and edit them in if I can find them. 

First there are WoBs about the Stormfather being Honor's Cognitive Shadow, but we know that the Stormfather existed previously by Eshonai speaking of his betrayal of the listeners in favor of humans.  He's a Bondsmith spren who has been bonded pre-recreance... And Honor didn't die until after the recreance. 

So while I don't know if it's been explicitly stated and explained, we have the pieces to put the story together. 

ah,  found it myself.

QUESTION

Does the spren have to be present for a Surgebinder to have their abilities? Because with Dalinar, the Stormfather won’t be around all the time...

BRANDON SANDERSON

Good Question! Fortunately, the Stormfather is a little more omnipresent. Normally you’re gonna have to have your spren close, but the Stormfather absorbed... is basically Honor’s cognitive shadow, which means he’s got a connection to a lot of different things, so he’s not bound by a lot of the rules that others are.

3 hours ago, Azul said:

ah,  found it myself.

That's awesome, I've never seen this WoB before. The "he's got a connection to a lot of different things" makes me curious. Connections to other spren(honorspen, cryptics, inkspren, etc)? Connections to other natural forces? Connections to different investiture? Could be a lot of meaning there in terms of how powerful Dalinar can become. 

On 7/8/2017 at 4:07 PM, Calderis said:

.. And Honor didn't die until after the recreance. 

So this is the first time the storm father is bonded to a bondsmith after his merge with Tanavasts cognitive shadow? This might provide him with an advantage over previous bondsmiths. 

5 hours ago, ANRILU said:

So this is the first time the storm father is bonded to a bondsmith after his merge with Tanavasts cognitive shadow? This might provide him with an advantage over previous bondsmiths. 

Probably. Relevant WoB 

http://www.theoryland.com/intvmain.php?i=1163#7

QUESTION

Does the spren have to be present for a Surgebinder to have their abilities? Because with Dalinar, the Stormfather won’t be around all the time...

BRANDON SANDERSON

Good Question! Fortunately, the Stormfather is a little more omnipresent. Normally you’re gonna have to have your spren close, but the Stormfather absorbed... is basically Honor’s cognitive shadow, which means he’s got a connection to a lot of different things, so he’s not bound by a lot of the rules that others are.

Between the ambivalent compulsory relationship and that... 

Should be interesting 

• Chaos locked this topic